SFO : Street Fighter Online

SFO : Street Fighter Online (http://forums.streetfighteronline.com/index.php)
-   Bugs and Problems report (http://forums.streetfighteronline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Will Vista version EVER not need to load from web? (http://forums.streetfighteronline.com/showthread.php?t=22594)

evilgohan2 05-05-2009 08:01 PM

Considering that Vista's Service Pack 2 is rolling out to Manufacturers now and Windows 7 is on the verge of release, will SFO ever run from the hard drive on Vista or will I need to reboot into XP every time I want to play without waiting for it to load? I understand that TMyApp works very hard on this, its just frustrating to have to load this up every time I wish to play it while I run Vista.

Edit: As for if this is in the wrong section, my apologies if it is. Please move it as you see fit.

Killer 05-05-2009 08:05 PM

wrong section, good question.

Nferno666 05-05-2009 09:00 PM

simple answer is NO...Vista/Win7 introduced UAC . SFO is coded and updated using a much older version(version 8.5) of Adobe Director Studio which is currently used today which is version 11.5 or something along those lines. UAC pretty much changes the way on how SFO loads and accesses files from the exe file used to run SFO. By default SFO.exe from UAC's point of view run at below administrative lvl and it can't be changed even if you righclick and set it to run in administrator mode. Upgraded to Director 11.5 "might" get around that problem but their is a reason why we have never updated to begin with. Following after version 8.5 versions 9 and above removed the mulitplayer support for shockwave games/programs.

evilgohan2 05-05-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Nferno666 @ May 05 2009,20:00)]simple answer is NO...Vista/Win7 introduced UAC . SFO is coded and updated using a much older version(version 8.5) of Adobe Director Studio which is currently used today which is version 11.5 or something along those lines. UAC pretty much changes the way on how SFO loads and accesses files from the exe file used to run SFO. By default SFO.exe from UAC's point of view run at below administrative lvl and it can't be changed even if you righclick and set it to run in administrator mode. Upgraded to Director 11.5 "might" get around that problem but their is a reason why we have never updated to begin with. Following after version 8.5 versions 9 and above removed the mulitplayer support for shockwave games/programs.

No disrespect intended, but since UAC can be disabled by user setting or simply defeated by not placing the installation directory under Program Files (Program Files (x86) in 64-bit installations), isn't that a rather deprecated response? For example, one could just as easily place the file in "My Documents" and run it from there where it would not require administrative privileges. That is unless the true bottleneck is, as you mentioned, Shockwave 8.5 which would be required one way or another.

Just searching for all alternatives possible.

#1sakurafan 05-05-2009 09:59 PM

u guys know your stuff im so ignorant:(

(DH)Legionare 05-06-2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (#1sakurafan @ May 05 2009,20:59)]u guys know your stuff im so ignorant:(

ha ha same

Yeshua»Hamashia 05-06-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (evilgohan2 @ May 06 2009,01:34)]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Nferno666 @ May 05 2009,20:00)]simple answer is NO...Vista/Win7 introduced UAC . SFO is coded and updated using a much older version(version 8.5) of Adobe Director Studio which is currently used today which is version 11.5 or something along those lines. UAC pretty much changes the way on how SFO loads and accesses files from the exe file used to run SFO. By default SFO.exe from UAC's point of view run at below administrative lvl and it can't be changed even if you righclick and set it to run in administrator mode. Upgraded to Director 11.5 "might" get around that problem but their is a reason why we have never updated to begin with. Following after version 8.5 versions 9 and above removed the mulitplayer support for shockwave games/programs.

No disrespect intended, but since UAC can be disabled by user setting or simply defeated by not placing the installation directory under Program Files (Program Files (x86) in 64-bit installations), isn't that a rather deprecated response? For example, one could just as easily place the file in "My Documents" and run it from there where it would not require administrative privileges. That is unless the true bottleneck is, as you mentioned, Shockwave 8.5 which would be required one way or another.

Just searching for all alternatives possible.

I think he's already done his research, the best thing to do is to avoid clearing ur cache and cookies as much as possible.