Post your desktop! JohnnyBlaze RaNdOm iNsAnItY 100 12-02-2005 10:24 PM

Old 01-08-2016, 01:41 AM   #1
SolidSnake76
Master

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 3100
SolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of light
Default rebuild the desktop

I think I need to do a more heftier overhaul than I want to bother with

Apparently, the 1175 socket motherboard I been using has gone fairly outdated, exhausting hunt.... so if I gotta get the newer types out there, that means switching out the Intel cpu chip I currently have as well: an i5 quad core clocked at 3ghz... forgot the exact number

Suggestions to rebuild triton?

Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted...

Elder Veteran (2001-2002)
SolidSnake76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:22 AM   #2
Patrick Bateman
VIP

Tournaments Joined: 1
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 117
Patrick Bateman will become famous soon enoughPatrick Bateman will become famous soon enoughPatrick Bateman will become famous soon enoughPatrick Bateman will become famous soon enoughPatrick Bateman will become famous soon enoughPatrick Bateman will become famous soon enoughPatrick Bateman will become famous soon enoughPatrick Bateman will become famous soon enoughPatrick Bateman will become famous soon enoughPatrick Bateman will become famous soon enoughPatrick Bateman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: rebuild the desktop

Get a Mac and call it a day.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Liger Zero
Outstanding Patriot

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 6416
Liger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really nice

I think the real question is what does your budget look like?
Liger Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
SolidSnake76
Master

Post Thanks / Like
SolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of light

The one that I bought and caught fire cost 115 so.....

Since this will be a motherboard/cpu combo... let's keep this hovering around 300 or lower

Old 01-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

honestly... if you have an I5 i wouldn't recommend switching it at all.
the technology as been stagnant for a few years now. usually it changes over the course of 5 years. but its been 7-8 years without a change now. i'm still with my old Duo core2 and its running fine still. thats one technology before the I series. i'm capable of upgrading my video card to the latest and it would work... only half the speed though, but still would be enough for me to gain back on the current playing field. so that alone should tell you something.

i think right now its not worth upgrading if you are already in the I series.
on board videos have always been a bad thing though.

the question im wanting to ask is... why do you want to change it ? broken ?
SSJKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
SolidSnake76
Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJKarma View Post
honestly... if you have an I5 i wouldn't recommend switching it at all.
the technology as been stagnant for a few years now. usually it changes over the course of 5 years. but its been 7-8 years without a change now. i'm still with my old Duo core2 and its running fine still. thats one technology before the I series. i'm capable of upgrading my video card to the latest and it would work... only half the speed though, but still would be enough for me to gain back on the current playing field. so that alone should tell you something.

i think right now its not worth upgrading if you are already in the I series.
on board videos have always been a bad thing though.

the question im wanting to ask is... why do you want to change it ? broken ?
The old motherboard was slowly dying over the course of 6 months and I wasn't paying attention at all: no front port power, then no sound, then no power overall

The new motherboard I bought caught fire on day 2 after installation

My suspicion is that a lot of heat was being stagnant in the lower section of the tower, so I won't know for sure if this massive intake fan I mounted on the front and exhaust fan I mounted on the rear will do the job

The i5 chip I have is for the 1175 socket... so unless some of you know something I don't, kinda running out of options here

Old 01-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #7
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 180
donkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura about

If you're familiar with reddit then /r/hardwareswap is probably the best place for used parts

a i5-4570 or 4460 (3.2 Quad) can be had for around $130 and a h97 Mobo for $50.

If you're buying new then the combo should run you about $230-250

--------------------------------------------------------

donkios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #8
Wolfeh
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1337
Wolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to all
Visit Wolfeh's YouTube Visit Wolfeh's Last.FM

I could get on a Mac Snow Leopard, simulate Windows 2000 and STILL **** your Wolverine up...
Wolfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
LuXv

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 767
LuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really nice
Visit LuXv's Twitter

Technology stagnant for 7-8 years? Impossible, unless we've reached our peak.

Legend has it, NASA has 91 GBPS Internet. LET THAT SINK IN.

But yeah, my best advice for you solid, is to consider what Donkios said, he seems to know what he's talking about.

LuXv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #10
SolidSnake76
Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkios View Post
If you're familiar with reddit then /r/hardwareswap is probably the best place for used parts

a i5-4570 or 4460 (3.2 Quad) can be had for around $130 and a h97 Mobo for $50.

If you're buying new then the combo should run you about $230-250
When it comes to quality parts, I stay with newegg... used? No

Its like a car, only specific body parts I will get used.... engine parts all must be brand new for me

Old 01-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #11
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
donkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura about

Alright well thats a personal preference but for the most part locked CPUs are a safe buy used as they cant be overclocked and especially with how reliable they are now it's not a terrible idea to buy them used. Pretty much the only way to **** one up is to run it with no heatsink but they'll usually cut off within 20 seconds if there isnt one

But yeah you can find a new i5-4460 for like $160-170 and a new h97 board can be as low as $60 if you dont mind a micro atx board. Look into gigabyte and mai pc mate boards. Asrock are probably cheapest but they have the highest rate of DoA

Old 01-08-2016, 11:42 PM   #12
masterbob
Old Skool Gamer

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 54
masterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkios View Post
Alright well thats a personal preference but for the most part locked CPUs are a safe buy used as they cant be overclocked and especially with how reliable they are now it's not a terrible idea to buy them used. Pretty much the only way to **** one up is to run it with no heatsink but they'll usually cut off within 20 seconds if there isnt one

But yeah you can find a new i5-4460 for like $160-170 and a new h97 board can be as low as $60 if you dont mind a micro atx board. Look into gigabyte and mai pc mate boards. Asrock are probably cheapest but they have the highest rate of DoA
If I was prone to set my mobo on fire, I wouldn't trust used parts either cause I'd assume everyone was as bad as I was.

but yeah cpus will be at least 150, and a decent mobo will be about 100.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:52 PM   #13
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXv View Post
Technology stagnant for 7-8 years? Impossible, unless we've reached our peak.

Legend has it, NASA has 91 GBPS Internet. LET THAT SINK IN.

But yeah, my best advice for you solid, is to consider what Donkios said, he seems to know what he's talking about.
He was talking about CPU technology and he's right in some ways. There are like 12 core processors with hyperthreading and yet gaming still relies on 1-2 cores and hasn't found a way to make use of hyperthreads yet which is why a lot of low budget builds recommend overclocking the hell out of old dual core i3 processors.

Alot of the newer tech is useful, just not for the average person

Old 01-09-2016, 01:15 AM   #14
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

Luxv, procssessor wise we haven't broken the 5k ghz limit for now. and intel has been stopping development for it because they wanted to start stabilising their products first. hence why thes elast 5 years we've had processors easily overclockable from 3ghz to 4.5 even 5k. with water cooling. but considering most of the stuff you use a computer for is now worked by the graphic card and the mobo... why would you need that much processing power ?

taking my Core2 Duo E8400 3ghz processor...
it was tested all the way up to 5ghz on water cooling and was able to best off even the best I3. rivaling the best I5. only the I7 processors could best it. of course im not using water cooling so i haven't touched it myself. but imagine if one processor can go that far away from its own limits. why would you need new technology then ?

processor wise and mobo wise, things have been stagnant. and i think they will still be for quite some times.

burst in flames... i think some of your stuff didn't work.... they once tryed intels and AMD cpus burning point. and it took only like 5 seconds for them to reach 500-900 degrees and melts. so if that hapenned then clearly none of your heating stuff worked. which surprises me. too much paste perhaps...

in any cases, i'd not take the chances and changes the mobo and CPU together. compatibility can be a bitch otherwise. pretty sure you can find what you are looking for new and under 300$ at least we can here in canada. so im pretty sure you can too.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:08 AM   #15
SolidSnake76
Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJKarma View Post
burst in flames... i think some of your stuff didn't work.... they once tryed intels and AMD cpus burning point. and it took only like 5 seconds for them to reach 500-900 degrees and melts. so if that hapenned then clearly none of your heating stuff worked. which surprises me. too much paste perhaps...

in any cases, i'd not take the chances and changes the mobo and CPU together. compatibility can be a bitch otherwise. pretty sure you can find what you are looking for new and under 300$ at least we can here in canada. so im pretty sure you can too.
It worked just fine once I got it installed and ran it for the first couple of hours, but this is what happened when I tried to turn it on on the second day

So since then after I sent the board back, I got 2 new fans to work in there... I was being 10x more fearful about the CPU itself catching fire but that wasn't the case....

I won't know if my idea to cycle air through the lower section under the graphics card will make a difference.... never did like the power supply placement on this tower

Old 01-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #16
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

That could be the case here... Your cable management is killing the air flow. If you flip the psu upside down it'll spew the hot air our of the case as well. Right now you have the heat from the gpu and psu facing eachother plus a coutter of wires right there

Old 01-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #17
LuXv

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 767
LuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really nice
Visit LuXv's Twitter

Thanks for the information donkios and Karma (not being sarcastic)

LuXv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #18
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

5 HDDs !!!
seriously man ?
now im wondering what you do with that desktop.

yeah cables a big problems... but it can easily be solved... HDDs also generate a lot of heat hence why its good to put 2 fans there at the bottom near them. they also help making winds into the tower. i'm also never putting the side fo the tower. always leaving it open. can't have a better ventilation then a whole wall not being there. overall heres the setup i have in my machine...

120mm fan on the back.
power supply with both back fan and under fan.
1 fan on the front of the machine just behind HDDs. (could go with 2 since i have another slot there for it)

seriously, for a piece to melt... i don't think it had to do with heating problems per say... i think there was something else short circuiting somewhere. may have worked for a while, but many things can make the thing melt slowly. make sure your main-board is grounded and not having statics. i've often seen computers slowly dieing due to say, a carpet at the feet of the user and static electricity killing off the computer.

from the pictures i can't say whats wrong...
there is one thing im seeing though that i do not like...
its the 450w power supply... i'd so change that for a more standard 500w, 750w if you wanna make sure everything runs fine. actually i dont think a recent video card can run on a 450. but im not sure.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #19
Liger Zero
Outstanding Patriot

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 6416
Liger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really nice

Get some twist ties man.
Liger Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #20
SolidSnake76
Master

Post Thanks / Like

I settled for this:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-DESKTOP-...=1491420347007

Brand new right now across the board is running 140+ and my PayPal got hacked.... gotta fix that now....

And I'm beginning to think this tower is too small...

Did install the new fans though

Btw karma, it's 480

Last edited by SolidSnake76; 01-13-2016 at 10:08 AM.