SFO : Street Fighter Online

Go Back   SFO : Street Fighter Online > NON-SFO Related > Banners, Avatars and Images

SFO : Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teacher arrested after 2-person field trip dominicankid098 General 16 05-05-2008 08:58 PM
i just did something that will effect my life ~MK~stewie General 17 02-23-2008 10:27 PM
2nd energy effect try ~MK~stewie Banners, Avatars and Images 12 01-15-2007 06:48 PM
The butterfly effect..... SolidSnake76 Links 0 09-01-2006 08:18 PM
Sentinel statis field xsouldeath General Comments & Strategies 7 01-01-2006 03:22 PM

Old 05-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
SSJKarma
Banned

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice
Default [Tutorial] PS Effect - Star Field

Hi everybody, Yours truly here.
I have been doing a lot of special effects for movies i been shooting with friends and in the end i started using Photoshop Much more then i thought i would. i decided that it was time for me to show my work in the way of tutorials on how to do certain special effects like changing a scape to night or day, or even creating new scenes out of nowhere. like this very star field tutorial.

This tutorial is very basic and is for the starting users who already know th ebasics but want to go deeper by adding their own effects to the images they have. this will also explain certain features that are more then needed in pretty much everything you do in photoshop.

be aware that i am using Photoshop CS 5. so if your interface isn't like mine, its normal. remember that even though i have CS 5, everything mentionned here is in all photoshop version so you shouldn't be lost in anyway.

let's start...

The first step would be to have your background ready, in my case a simple black screen will do.
then you will add a new layer on top of it.
to do that click "LAYER" at the top of the PS screen.
then click on "NEW" then on "LAYER..."

Now that you have your new layer on top of your background we'll rename it to "Star Field"

Now we need to draw something on the layer in order to be able to push an effect on the said drawing. you cannot add effects to an empty layer like the one we have now. so we'll simply create a big rectangle that will cover the layer entirely. in this case the whole screen. go ahead select the rectangle tool, make sure the color is set to black, very important for later. then draw the rectangle over the entire picture.

now you just covered the whole picture and you dont see the background anymore. we need to solve that before we go further. to do that we silply double click the left mouse button over the layer we need to make transparent. in this case the star field layer. so go ahead double click it and see the effect panel open.

In this panel we'll take the slider in the green zone and slide it toward the right just 1 pixel. that slider is making the black color disappear from the layer, so everything that will be the color black, won't be appearing on screen and will be see through. inversely the far right slider would make the white disappear. catch the way it works already ? good. so place it to 1 and push the ok button.

now onto the fun part, adding the star field.
click the "FILTER" menu at the top of the screen, then go to "NOISE" and then click "ADD NOISE"

the next window is simply to tell you that the rectangle you added earlier will need to be pushed to the screen and not stay as a vector graphic, meaning you wont be able to adjust that rectangle anymore. it will become bpart of the screen. ust push ok and it'll go away.

Now if it didn't gve you the noise effect screen, redo the last step, click "Filter" then "noise" then "add noise"
you should get this screen...

On that screen you will have to make sure the monochromatic check is checked... what does that do, it will make sure the dots that will appears will be having only one color and not looking like a TV with red green and blue dots. nobody ever saw a rainbow colored star field 8) the amount will be staying at 10% which is more then enough. anything higher just fills the screen too much.

once you clicked ok you will actualy see a lot of random dots appears on screen, that our basic star field, but it doesn't quite look like it yet we need to remove some dots from there now. but to do this manually would take a lot of time. so let's blur them out and then remove what was blurred from the screen. this should gove us the star field we need.

surface blur in this case is what we want. it will take the whole surface, which is our layer and blur it without losing the stars in it. also doing this gives the impression of a fog. so if you want less stars and more fog, just do it again and again until you have what you want. don't worry about the settings, just push the ok button everytimes.

now you got a lot of fog and barely seen stars, we will need to remove the fog, as sch all we need is to remove the dots that are in between black and white. keeping only the white ones. to do that we just click the paint bucket tool, make sure our color is balck, remember the black doesn't show on that layer. and click the layer, anywhere.

one last thing, make sure you uncheck the contigous checkbox at the top. this will tell the paint bucket to paint over the whole of the color you clicked on. if you dont it will just paint a part of the screen and not the whole screen. that is usefull if you want to remove certain colors in a picture. in this case we want only white. which will be the stars.

there you have it, now you should see the star field. ready for any actions you might want it to be on. may it be a sci-fi action image, or just a night scene.

hope you enjoyed this tutorial, my next one will be more advanced as we will be taking on the task of adding lights to our pictures. light beams to be precise.

see you in the next effect tutorial.
SSJKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 166
donkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: [Tutorial] PS Effect - Star Field

WHAT? KARMA'S USING PHOTOSHOP?

Well nice to see you've changed your mind. & Nice tut, it's interesting i've never thought of using a noise filter to make anything

--------------------------------------------------------

donkios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

It's not really that great of a filter, but its usfull for anything that requires random dots on screen.

and i've been using Photoshop since CS 2 which is now like 6 years or so i think ?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
donkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura about

I was surprised because of the way you wet off on us that one time about how PS is easy to use and isn't real art

Old 05-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
DARK-RAIKEN-X
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 149
DARK-RAIKEN-X will become famous soon enoughDARK-RAIKEN-X will become famous soon enoughDARK-RAIKEN-X will become famous soon enoughDARK-RAIKEN-X will become famous soon enoughDARK-RAIKEN-X will become famous soon enoughDARK-RAIKEN-X will become famous soon enoughDARK-RAIKEN-X will become famous soon enoughDARK-RAIKEN-X will become famous soon enoughDARK-RAIKEN-X will become famous soon enoughDARK-RAIKEN-X will become famous soon enoughDARK-RAIKEN-X will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkios View Post
I was surprised because of the way you wet off on us that one time about how PS is easy to use and isn't real art
Rofl karma is just knowledgeable and has more experience
Old 05-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Than you maybe

Old 05-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

It is easy to use and isn't considered real art... not by me at least, my knowledge of that is totally different, because i am using computer generated graphics to do images and video editing and special effects at it, i am forced to use such a software and since Paint Shop Pro which was way better bck in his time wasn't really up to date and still isn't much i'd say... i was forced to learn PS and i must say it is still the best painting program ever made. but when it comes to drawing, i think real art is still better using real pens !

by the way, my next tutorial will be about light beams, how to create them using the glow effect on the edges of a shape !
Old 05-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I agree actually, but have you seen people use drawn sketches and add color and stuff using photoshop, it turns out really nice tbh

Here's something a guy I know form another forum did

and draw programs aren't bad either, i'm probably gonna mess around with one this summer and see what I can do

Old 05-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #9
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Using the sketches to push the thing alive is cool, but things designed in photoshop is usually too easy to figure out... as in its easily seen that it was made by a computer and as such pretty much always gets the user to think the author is not that great either. i've seen great images done in imaging programs, but in the end i'm always in awe when i see true drawn images compared to those made assisted by computers.

this is why movies which uses charcaters generated thru 3D programs can always be seen as such. even if they look awesome and well made, even if they look real under certain light schemes, in the end when you add their movements and add lights that aren'T real to it... you always see thats its computer generated.

exemples...
Final Fantasy : Spirit Within (i am not even sure of that title)
It claimed to have hyper realist charcaters but int he end it was easy figuring them out.

Tron - Legacy
Cool way to de-age mans... but in some scenes it was evident it wasn'T the real actor.
most likely at the end with all the lights on it.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
(~FlashStep~)

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 0
(~FlashStep~) is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah karma good point. real art is basically drawing or making hand made objects from Scratch (beginning) Graphic designing on the other is just customizing existed arts and making it yours compiling different things and making it one.

The Battle Is Far From Over
(~FlashStep~) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

dont take me wrong on this... i will aknowledge someone doing a drawing by computer programs, after all they made it and it certainly did not take them just a few minutes. the program is probably much harder to learn then using the pen and paper. so a computer generated graphic is still a work in this case.

its just not art to me though.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
Killer
SFO Admin

Tournaments Joined: 10
Tournaments Won: 1
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 836
Killer is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARY

there are users of Photoshop that use a large touchpad for drawing on the computer. I consider utilizing Photoshop an art..

Better yet.. anything that allows people to express themselves is an art (to me at least... creative or not.. ranging from canvases to debates lol)

She's Coming...
And yeah.. I edited an entire GIF

Killer is offline   Reply With Quote