Build a Baby SolidSnake76 General 21 03-05-2009 07:26 PM

Old 04-28-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
donkios
VIP

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 187
donkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura about
Default First gaming PC build. Need advice

I'm looking to building a PC in a few weeks, it'll be my first one. My cousin will be helping me put it together but I wanted to get some outside advice as well.

It's a mixup between the intro and great build by a staff member on pcpartpicker. just wanting some suggestions on what you guys think. I'm new at this so feel free to completely tear it apart

I'll be using the computer to play games like Battlefield 4, Skyrim and Elder scrolls Online

Red = Purchased

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $180
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve $28.40
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 $68
RAM: G-Skill RipJaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) $50
SSD: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5 $60
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6GB/S 3.5" 7200RPM $54.47
GPU: Powercolor TurboDuo R9 290 $230-$30 Rebate = $20
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 ATX Mid Tower $51.97
PSU: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified $60.29

Extra:
Cooler Master Sickleflow 120mm fan $9.95
Samsung DVD±RW Internal Drive$17.68

TOTAL: $780.26

--------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by donkios; 05-19-2015 at 10:59 PM.
donkios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
estset

Tournaments Joined: 3
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 235
estset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the rough
Visit estset's YouTube
Default Re: First gaming PC build. Need advice

Idk what your budget is. But based on the above list.

This is my recommendation.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LwqT99

This is more than enough to handle any game out there at 1080p.

I suggest getting an SSD. They are pretty cheap and is worth getting.

This video card is 4k ready.

I suggest going for 2 dimm rather than 1. As it can help boost performance. And you can always add more down the road.

I went with EVGA 500w 80+ Bronze Certified PSU. That's plenty of power. You don't need more than that. That's the one I have right now for my PC and it does the job. Plus is very cheap and is bronze certified.

Check out our Official Youtube Channel: SFO Youtube
SFO Underground: SFO UG
Instagram:
SFO2K14
Twitter: @SFOSTAFF / @SFO2K14
Facebook: SFO Facebook

Last edited by estset; 04-28-2015 at 07:54 PM.
estset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
donkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura about

Thanks and yeah my price range is about 800~. I definitely wanted to go with the R9 280x over the GTX 960 because everyone is telling me it's about 10-15% better but it uses more power which is why i chose a larger PSU. Im thinking 750W is overkill and after doing some research I don't need a modular PSU so dropping dwn to 600W helped my budget

Question: Would a cheaper mATX Motherboard effect anything? I don't really see myself upgrading too much and I could save money getting one with 16GB Max RAM. Wouldn't that be more than enough if I have 2x4GB? I don't mind dishing out the extra money for a 32 if it'll perform better but If it won't be any better with what I have then I don't need it. Also getting mixed reviews on whether SSD is worth it, i'll do more research. Is the 3.5 Quad core overkill? If anything I can just drop down to the 3.2 and that would offset the cost of the SSD

Btw i'll update the link to my build as I go and when school's out on the 12th that's probably when i'll start ordering parts. Thanks again for the suggestions Estset

Bump: Updated: A little over my budget right now since I didn't factor in the network/sound cards + I'll need a new mouse and keyboard..

Was gonna go with the $45 Sandisk SSD but I read it was slow so i'll go with what estset suggested unless I find something else. 120GB would be enough for me just using it for BF4 and my OS so if anyone has any suggestions

Last edited by donkios; 04-28-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #4
estset

Post Thanks / Like
estset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the roughestset is a jewel in the rough
Visit estset's YouTube

The R9 280x and GTX 960 pretty much on par. The reason I went with the GTX 960 over 280x is because 960 offer 4k connectivity, and in some cases better 1080p performance, you're getting more value for your buck. Plus 960 uses lesss power consumption of 123w as opposed to 243w from 280x. You can put in two 960 and it'll be equivalent of one 280x. But if you're not concern with power efficiency, and noises then go with 280x. Either 1 can't go wrong. They are almost the same price. But if you are going for 280x then I suggest getting larger PSU as it uses more power.

But yeah to your 2nd question, there are cheaper MATX motherboard out there, no doubt. If you want to save some money than go for it. But I recommend going with 32 gb because you can add more ram down the road if you need more performance. Plus downgrading to 16gb mean you're sacrificing other features like less sata ports, usb ports, etc... But really though in some case you don't even have to pay extra for 32gb max ram support, it comes standard.

Good luck with your build. Also I suggest doing some research and watching youtube videos and see which graphics card is right for you. There's many review out there comparing these two graphics and they very informative, especially the benchmarks that they conduct on these graphics card.

EDIT: Yeah I went with 240gb SSD instead of 128gb because is onsale at tigerdirect for $84 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...kl7BsAYT6I.hNQ original price was $129.99. You can go with 128gb to save some money instead if you want to. There is a Kingston v300 120gb SSD right now that is selling for $49.99 of its original price of $119.99, but i'm hearing bad reviews because of its unreliable so I didn't recommend it to you. http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=...n&promoid=1611

If you want a good reliable SSD go with this one. This is the one I'm currently using and I love it. Fast and get the job done. I have no problem with it whatsoever. I got it when it was on sale for $45 bucks. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID= always keep an eye out for sale. You can save ton of money by doing so.

Instagram:
SFO2K14

Last edited by estset; 04-28-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:13 PM   #5
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely will do more research. I've already learned loads just going through parts and comparing, getting jitters thinking about it tbh haha. I pretty much have what I want just wanting to see if I can cut costs in one spot and move it to another. I do kind of want to get 2x8gb ram since it seems like 8GB is the minimum req for games nowadays so I might have to upgrade that soon.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 PM   #6
estset

Post Thanks / Like
Visit estset's YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkios View Post
I definitely will do more research. I've already learned loads just going through parts and comparing, getting jitters thinking about it tbh haha. I pretty much have what I want just wanting to see if I can cut costs in one spot and move it to another. I do kind of want to get 2x8gb ram since it seems like 8GB is the minimum req for games nowadays so I might have to upgrade that soon.
Yeah that's how I learned too. Btw 2x8gb ram is 16gb. You don't really that much ram for gaming. 2x4gb=8gb is sufficient enough. You can always add more down the road.

Instagram:
SFO2K14

Old 04-28-2015, 11:38 PM   #7
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I meant I was thinking about just getting 16 now but then I remembered i'm on a budget so lets just forget about that... That SSD you posted is perfect, thanks! Also if you could list some good sites to buy parts i'd really appreciate it. I'm sure I can save some money just comparing on different sites

Final update for tonight:
AData 128GB SSD
Switched to SeaGate Barracuda HDD just because it seemed like EVERYONE uses it.
Decided to go with the i5-4460 for cost purposes

Going to look into different motherboards tomorrow.

Oh and someone hook me up with a Windows 8 64 bit (Yes Writters, i'm talking to you<3)

Last edited by donkios; 04-28-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:06 AM   #8
estset

Post Thanks / Like
Visit estset's YouTube

Quote:
Yeah I meant I was thinking about just getting 16 now but then I remembered i'm on a budget so lets just forget about that... That SSD you posted is perfect, thanks! Also if you could list some good sites to buy parts i'd really appreciate it. I'm sure I can save some money just comparing on different sites

Final update for tonight:
AData 128GB SSD
Switched to SeaGate Barracuda HDD just because it seemed like EVERYONE uses it.
Decided to go with the i5-4460 for cost purposes

Going to look into different motherboards tomorrow.

Oh and someone hook me up with a Windows 8 64 bit (Yes Writters, i'm talking to you<3)
Majority of those sites that I know are already listed on pcpartpicker.

But you can try a site like www.massdrop.com
www.memoryexpress.com
www.groupon.com

Alternatively you can try this site which is similar to pcpartpicker http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Instagram:
SFO2K14

Last edited by estset; 04-29-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #9
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

K so i'll stick with the mobo I have now. I was wondering if I needed the CPU cooler or will the stock one be ok?

Old 04-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #10
estset

Post Thanks / Like
Visit estset's YouTube

Quote:
K so i'll stick with the mobo I have now. I was wondering if I needed the CPU cooler or will the stock one be ok?
I don't suggest going with the stock cooler. From experience they are loud as hell and get over heat fast.

Instagram:
SFO2K14

Old 04-29-2015, 11:46 PM   #11
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Decided to go with the Gigabyte r9 280x instead of the Powercolor for GPU. Would've saved me around $20 but apparently PowerColor is the most basic 280x and the fans can get really loud while the Gigabyte with Windforce has top notch cooling

Also... decided since i'm dropping this much cash might as well make my yearly coin star run early. Walked out of Harris Teeter with a $117 amazon gift card

Last edited by donkios; 04-29-2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
masterbob
Old Skool Gamer

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 54
masterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nice

Best way to save money is to check slickdeals everyday.

Sapphire r280x for 180 after rebate, 250gb crucial ssd for 80, 8gb g skill ram for 50, etc.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #13
estset

Post Thanks / Like
Visit estset's YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbob View Post

Sapphire r280x for 180 after rebate, 250gb crucial ssd for 80, 8gb g skill ram for 50, etc.
Slickdeals is American site right? Here in Canada, we use http://www.redflagdeals.com that's where I get all the good deals from.

Instagram:
SFO2K14

Old 04-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #14
Liger Zero
SECTION 1 & 2

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 6427
Liger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really nice

Pcpartspicker.com is a pretty good site. I used it to research other peoples builds and pick out the parts for my pc.

my specs

GPU - GeForce GTX 650 Ti
CPU- Intel core i7-4770k 3.5 GHz
Memory - 8 GB of Ram (could easily buy more if needed since ram is pretty cheap)
Operating system - Windows 7 pro 64 bit

Still need liquid cooling as Im using the fans that came with the Corsair tower.
Liger Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh Bob you got my hopes up ;_;

That sapphire card is 250 on Newegg with $20 rebate so it's still 220 with the deal. Guess they bumped up the price or something.

I'll just go with the Gigabyte for 230 for now. I'm not a huge fan of rebates.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #16
masterbob
Old Skool Gamer

Post Thanks / Like
masterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by estset View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbob View Post

Slickdeals is American site right? Here in Canada, we use http://www.redflagdeals.com that's where I get all the good deals from.
yeah it is. Most the users are American and most the deals end up being USA only. Canadians are jealous of all the cheap Sennheiser HD600s we get heh

Quote:
Ugh Bob you got my hopes up ;_;

That sapphire card is 250 on Newegg with $20 rebate so it's still 220 with the deal. Guess they bumped up the price or something.

I'll just go with the Gigabyte for 230 for now. I'm not a huge fan of rebates.
That's why you have to check everyday (sometimes multiple times a day). Deals die fast lol

If the gigabyte is 230, you might as well get for http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202143 240 (after rebate though)

Last edited by masterbob; 04-30-2015 at 07:19 PM.
masterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #17
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Just went on and bought the sapphire since the Vapor-X is the best 280x Sapphire made they generally make high quality prooducts

Made the most important purchases now just planning out the rest. Went with the Ripjaws RAM just cause it was red and went with my case. Sadly the Sapphire GPU is blue ;_;

Bump: Bought everything and it totaled out to be $800.26

Last question: Buy thermal paste or stock thermal paste? For the CPU cooler. The new cooler might come with paste im actually not sure but might as well ask. Also still looking for a free Windows 8 *wink* *wink*. hook me up!

Last edited by donkios; 05-02-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #18
masterbob
Old Skool Gamer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Just went on and bought the sapphire since the Vapor-X is the best 280x Sapphire made they generally make high quality prooducts

Made the most important purchases now just planning out the rest. Went with the Ripjaws RAM just cause it was red and went with my case. Sadly the Sapphire GPU is blue ;_;

Bump: Bought everything and it totaled out to be $800.26

Last question: Buy thermal paste or stock thermal paste? For the CPU cooler. The new cooler might come with paste im actually not sure but might as well ask. Also still looking for a free Windows 8 *wink* *wink*. hook me up!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131624 heh

also the paste that comes with the cooler is adequate, but if you're serious about OC, then i'd use arctic silver thermal paste
Old 05-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #19
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Alright i'll keep that in mind for the future.

& I did my research and Powercolor doesn't make good products which is why i skipped over the 280x for $180 but.... a 290 is enticing for that price

Bump: YOLO WENT WITH THE 290 TY BOB

Now I have to sell the Vapor-X

Last edited by donkios; 05-02-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #20
estset

Post Thanks / Like
Visit estset's YouTube

Quote:
Alright i'll keep that in mind for the future.

& I did my research and Powercolor doesn't make good products which is why i skipped over the 280x for $180 but.... a 290 is enticing for that price

Bump: YOLO WENT WITH THE 290 TY BOB

Now I have to sell the Vapor-X
You better buy PSU higher than 750 watts. If you're going with those cards. They used up a lot of watts.

Instagram:
SFO2K14

Old 05-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #21
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

I was afraid of that at first but I did some research and most people run a quality 550-600w while overclocked so I should be fine. Also got my build checked out on tomshardware and im good to gooo

Oh and just went ahead and made my final purchase: Windows 8.1 Pro. Bought it for $68 on eBay

Last edited by donkios; 05-02-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:47 PM   #22
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Everything is in

Still waiting on the new GPU and OS to get here. Also ordered a new Asus monitor on eBay so I can let my mom have this one.. estimated to get here on the 22nd.. fml i'm sticking with amazon prime.

Also my thoughts on this build... I wish I would've bought a full sized Mobo just so it fills up the case more. Also wish I bought a red/black themed mobo (so tempted to get a MSI one) the asrock one I have now is blue and it doesn't go with my red/black theme.

Last edited by donkios; 05-05-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:25 PM   #23
FadeToBlack
Sponsored VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 176
FadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished road

Nice build for the low man you're going to so satisfied when it's finally done. It's a breath of fresh air. Post a pic when it's all done yo
Old 05-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #24
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

For sure man.

Also newegg doesn't do returns on items under warranty so fml i have a $250 gpu sitting here. Nobody's biting on craigslist either

Old 05-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #25
FadeToBlack
Sponsored VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 176
FadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished roadFadeToBlack is on a distinguished road

Is that the r290 u were talking about? If so why not use that?