SFO : Street Fighter Online

Go Back   SFO : Street Fighter Online > NON-SFO Related > General

SFO : Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barac Obama Is President.. What needs To Be Done LadyChamp General 22 11-06-2008 07:33 PM
a cry for peace ~john316~ Banners, Avatars and Images 10 07-26-2008 05:20 PM
Rest in Peace EvilAkuma General 14 12-07-2007 07:03 PM
Peace out yall (_ForgottenLegend_) RaNdOm iNsAnItY 20 01-29-2007 10:13 PM
What is your definition of peace? hugovaz General 29 01-14-2007 11:21 PM

Old 10-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Killer
Banned

Tournaments Joined: 10
Tournaments Won: 1
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 836
Killer is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARY
Default Re: President Obama - 2009 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate

OSLO, Norway - President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday in a stunning decision designed to encourage his initiatives to reduce nuclear arms, ease tensions with the Muslim world and stress diplomacy and cooperation rather than unilateralism.

"I am both surprised and deeply humbled," Obama said from the White House Friday morning.

He said he does not "view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments," but rather as a "call to action" for the United States and other nations tackling global issues.

"I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many transformative figures that have been honored by this prize," he added.

Related:
World reacts to President's win
Video - Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize
Bing - Obama's nuclear disarmament efforts

Nobel observers were shocked by the unexpected choice so early in the Obama presidency, which began less than two weeks before the Feb. 1 nomination deadline.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Obama woke up to the news a little before 6 a.m. ET.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee decided not to inform Obama before the announcement because it didn't want to wake him up, committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said.

"Waking up a president in the middle of the night, this isn't really something you do," Jagland said.

Later, Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said he had had a conversation with Obama and that the president will travel to Oslo to collect the saward, due to be handed out on December 10, the anniversary of the 1896 death of the award's founder, Alfred Nobel.

"Obama said he looked forward to coming to Oslo to receive the prize," a statement from Stoltenberg's office said after the prime minister phoned Obama to congratulate him.

The Nobel Committee lauded the change in global mood wrought by Obama's calls for peace and cooperation but recognized initiatives that have yet to bear fruit: reducing the world stock of nuclear arms, easing American conflicts with Muslim nations and strengthening the U.S. role in combating climate change.

'World's attention'
"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," Jagland said.

Obama's election and foreign policy moves caused a dramatic improvement in the image of the U.S. around the world. A 25-nation poll of 27,000 people released in July by the Pew Global Attitudes Project found double-digit boosts to the percentage of people viewing the U.S. favorably in countries around the world. That indicator had plunged across the world under President George W. Bush.

Still, the U.S. remains at war in Iraq and Afghanistan, the U.S. Congress has yet to pass a law reducing carbon emissions and there has been little significant reduction in global nuclear stockpiles since Obama took office.

"So soon? Too early. He has no contribution so far. He is still at an early stage. He is only beginning to act," said former Polish President Lech Walesa, a 1983 Nobel Peace laureate.

"This is probably an encouragement for him to act. Let's see if he perseveres. Let's give him time to act," Walesa said.

Slap at Bush?
The award appeared to be a slap at Bush from a committee that harshly criticized Obama's predecessor for his largely unilateral military action in the wake of the Sept. 11 terror attacks. The Nobel committee praised Obama's creation of "a new climate in international politics" and said he had returned multilateral diplomacy and institutions like the U.N. to the center of the world stage.

"You have to remember that the world has been in a pretty dangerous phase," Jagland said. "And anybody who can contribute to getting the world out of this situation deserves a Nobel Peace Prize."

Unlike the other Nobel Prizes, which are awarded by Swedish institutions, the peace prize is given out by a five-member committee elected by the Norwegian Parliament. Like the Parliament, the committee has a leftist slant, with three members elected by left-of-center parties. Jagland said the decision to honor Obama was unanimous.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa, who won the prize in 1984, said Obama's award shows great things are expected from him in coming years.

"It is an award that speaks to the promise of President Obama's message of hope," Tutu said.

Meanwhile, Obama's chief strategist, David Axelrod, told NBC News that the president had not sought the award. "Presidents work hard to bring some issues to the fore internationally and point the world in the direction of solving some very big problems," he said. "I think this is a recognition of that."

Speculation elsewhere
Until seconds before the award, speculation had focused on a wide variety of candidates besides Obama: Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, a Colombian senator, a Chinese dissident and an Afghan woman's rights activist, among others. The Nobel committee received a record 205 nominations for this year's prize, though it was not immediately apparent who nominated Obama.

"The exciting and important thing about this prize is that it's given to someone ... who has the power to contribute to peace," Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said.

Obama is the third sitting U.S. president to win the award: President Theodore Roosevelt won in 1906 and President Woodrow Wilson was awarded the prize in 1919.

Wilson received the prize for his role in founding the League of Nations, the hopeful but ultimately failed precursor to the contemporary United Nations.

The Nobel committee chairman said after awarding the 2002 prize to former Democratic President Jimmy Carter, for his mediation in international conflicts, that it should be seen as a "kick in the leg" to the Bush administration's hard line in the buildup to the Iraq war.

Five years later, the committee honored Bush's adversary in the 2000 presidential election, Al Gore, for his campaign to raise awareness about global warming.

-------

Too soon. Even before reading the article, to give him this award for doing little to nothing.. It's a joke and a slap to the face to all peace laureates before him.

What's funny is that the author was on the same lines as I.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
`Crystal

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1061
`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough

Hmm... with that said..
Here's what some guy had to say about it... "I did not realize the Nobel Peace Prize had an affirmative action quota," wrote Erick Erickson, of the site RedState.com, "but that is the only thing I can think of for this news."

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009....67.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009....67.html

`Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
Killer
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Killer is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARY

nooo.. this is what you should focus on.

The laureate nominees are postmarked by Feb. 1st, 2009.

Obama was inaugurated Jan. 20th, 2009. Why on earth was his name included for literally DOING NOTHING.

what a controversial award
Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 776
TitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, I wonder how many people if in his shoes would have said, "you can keep your award. I just got here. I don't want it."

All of a sudden everyone's an expert on what constitutes the right set of merits to receive a Nobel Peace Prize - everyone but those whose job it is to give him the award apparently.

I'm happy for him. Must be an honor and humbling. Consider the weight of such an honor, and that heíll feel the pressure to live up to it.

I just think itís really easy for everyone to judge and criticize because they arenít in his shoes. Hell some people never will be and their arguments come from a place of hate, prejudice and jealousy.

He's been awared the honor and no one can ever take that away from him. They can talk, speak their minds, but it won't change a thing. Just my opinion, and it really isn't up for debate.

Click Here to Vote for the Storm Dream Goal.
TitaniumFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Zpower
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 0
Zpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the rough

I'm not even going to get started on this one.(would take pages and only lead to nothing)

I'll just say this, it's interesting that the man, who controls the most powerful army in the world, gets the prize for peace. I'm not saying I agree or disagree. I'm just throwing that out there.

The whole logic and idea of peace makes for another thread altogether. You would go insane trying to actually figure out what exactly is peace and how to actually accomplish it. I'm not going to start rambling on and on so I'll stop there.

rewopzmaI
Zpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Killer
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

im not taking anything away from him.
I blame the nobel committee. Why on earth would you nominate a person for peace who has done nothing. That's lik nominating bush the nobel peace prize after he was inaugurated.. and we know how much of a douche he turned out to be.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
`The-Game`

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 5
`The-Game` has a spectacular aura about`The-Game` has a spectacular aura about`The-Game` has a spectacular aura about`The-Game` has a spectacular aura about`The-Game` has a spectacular aura about`The-Game` has a spectacular aura about`The-Game` has a spectacular aura about`The-Game` has a spectacular aura about`The-Game` has a spectacular aura about`The-Game` has a spectacular aura about`The-Game` has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Zpower @ Oct. 09 2009,22:44)]I'm not even going to get started on this one.(would take pages and only lead to nothing)

I'll just say this, it's interesting that the man, who controls the most powerful army in the world, gets the prize for peace. I'm not saying I agree or disagree. I'm just throwing that out there.

The whole logic and idea of peace makes for another thread altogether. You would go insane trying to actually figure out what exactly is peace and how to actually accomplish it. I'm not going to start rambling on and on so I'll stop there.
Woodrow Wilson and Theodore Roosevelt won it.

But yeah, Obama shouldn't have even considered at all...... lmao
`The-Game` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #8
masterbob
Old Skool Gamer

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 54
masterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nice

anyone know who the other nominees were? Too lazy to look myself
Old 10-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
Liger Zero
SECTION 1 & 2

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 6427
Liger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really nice

*looks for the SNL Check list skit*

They said he won it not for what he did but what he is going to do.

I want to make world peace.....will i win it? O_o
Liger Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Elena
SECTION 1 & 2

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
Elena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the rough
Visit Elena's Last.FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (TitaniumFist @ Oct. 09 2009,22:42)]Yeah, I wonder how many people if in his shoes would have said, "you can keep your award. I just got here. I don't want it."

All of a sudden everyone's an expert on what constitutes the right set of merits to receive a Nobel Peace Prize - everyone but those whose job it is to give him the award apparently.

I'm happy for him. Must be an honor and humbling. Consider the weight of such an honor, and that heíll feel the pressure to live up to it.

I just think itís really easy for everyone to judge and criticize because they arenít in his shoes. Hell some people never will be and their arguments come from a place of hate, prejudice and jealousy.

He's been awared the honor and no one can ever take that away from him. They can talk, speak their minds, but it won't change a thing. Just my opinion, and it really isn't up for debate.
I'm not asking Obama to act like that, but it's not like he's not articulate...and there are other ppl far more deserving...

Like hai, I don't think I deserve this award thank you for the consideration i'm flattered by I don't deserve this award.

Honestly titteh, because we don't think he deserved the award some of us must come from a place of hate, prejudice and jealousy?

Lol he was barely in office for a month before he was put in ballot...I think it was given to him as an act of kindness and a smack in the face to bush.

and bob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Every year, the Norwegian Nobel Committee sends out thousands of letters inviting qualified people to submit their nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize. The names of the nominees and other information about the nominations cannot be revealed until 50 years later.
And read this first part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
Jagland said he hoped the award would assist Obama's foreign policy efforts. He added: "We have not given the prize for what may happen in the future. We are awarding Obama for what he has done in the past year. And we are hoping this may contribute a little bit for what he is trying to do."
So yes if this award was given to him as political statement that's not fair, but very well. *w/e yay for him. They still could've waited a year...damn...
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
masterbob
Old Skool Gamer

Post Thanks / Like
masterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nicemasterbob is just really nice

The thing is Obama was inaugurated on January 20, 2009, while the Nobel peace prize nominations deadline is February 1
Old 10-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
Killer
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

that's exactly what i've been trying to point out o.0
Old 10-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like
TitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Elena @ Oct. 11 2009,11:42)]I'm not asking Obama to act like that, but it's not like he's not articulate...and there are other ppl far more deserving...

Like hai, I don't think I deserve this award thank you for the consideration i'm flattered by I don't deserve this award.

Honestly titteh, because we don't think he deserved the award some of us must come from a place of hate, prejudice and jealousy?
In his acceptance speech, I'm pretty sure he said he didn't feel he deserved it. So the the first two sentences in your quote are reflected in his speech.

Your last point, yes, you hate the President and you're jealous. That's exactly what I meant by some people.

Why would you include yourself in that group? I'm not referring to you, or VIP for that matter. "We" is a varying range of people, so don't lump yourself in with the haters I am talking about.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
Killer
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, i don't hate on him for getting the award. It's not his fault for being so influential that even if he does nothing, he gets something.

but the committee should've thought this through thoroughly, and anticipate the negative attention this would've brought. The man doesn't need anymore. It's like every step he tries to take, there's something in his way.

He can't even pass the ideas he's been campaigning so hard for without the GOP Congress breathing down his neck and bashing every proposal, whether it was good or not.

I never understood America though. Fix home first before you decide to fix the world.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:32 AM   #15
Liger Zero
SECTION 1 & 2

Post Thanks / Like
Liger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (thevipkiller @ Oct. 11 2009,15:34)]yeah, i don't hate on him for getting the award. It's not his fault for being so influential that even if he does nothing, he gets something.
Yeah he influences me to use the toilet.

In all seriousness i get more truth from elementary school kids rather than obama. He was only elected cause he knew exactly what to say with his lies and if he wasnt elected it would have been hillary. Either way this country was going to go straight to hell.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #16
`Crystal

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1061
`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough`Crystal is a jewel in the rough

If I was Obama ima reject it

and tell them to holla at me in 4yrs
`Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #17
masterbob
Old Skool Gamer

Post Thanks / Like

colbert made some hilarious points
Old 10-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #18
(x-a)Freezealot

Post Thanks / Like
(x-a)Freezealot is an unknown quantity at this point(x-a)Freezealot is an unknown quantity at this point(x-a)Freezealot is an unknown quantity at this point(x-a)Freezealot is an unknown quantity at this point(x-a)Freezealot is an unknown quantity at this point(x-a)Freezealot is an unknown quantity at this point(x-a)Freezealot is an unknown quantity at this point
Visit (x-a)Freezealot's YouTube

I think he mostly got the Award because he's the first black president. He shouldnt have not even got in the running for the award. And he has not done anything exept take the first family on private jets to get breakfast 1,000 miles away.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #19
daddypete
Outstanding Member

Post Thanks / Like
daddypete will become famous soon enoughdaddypete will become famous soon enoughdaddypete will become famous soon enoughdaddypete will become famous soon enoughdaddypete will become famous soon enoughdaddypete will become famous soon enoughdaddypete will become famous soon enoughdaddypete will become famous soon enoughdaddypete will become famous soon enoughdaddypete will become famous soon enoughdaddypete will become famous soon enough
Visit daddypete's Facebook

im sure the man had to have done something to even be consider for the nomination. Not backing him or anything but understand he do go across seas and meet with people that others wouldn't typically even talk. I mean not trying to be funny but tookie williams killed people and then came back later and said for there to be peace between gangs and got a nobel peace prize nomination...

daddypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #20
Liger Zero
SECTION 1 & 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (daddypete @ Oct. 14 2009,00:26)]im sure the man had to have done something to even be consider for the nomination. Not backing him or anything but understand he do go across seas and meet with people that others wouldn't typically even talk. I mean not trying to be funny but tookie williams killed people and then came back later and said for there to be peace between gangs and got a nobel peace prize nomination...
He won the peace prize because he is the first black president. That is the only reason he won it.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #21
MEGA_DRACOS_XRL
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
MEGA_DRACOS_XRL will become famous soon enoughMEGA_DRACOS_XRL will become famous soon enoughMEGA_DRACOS_XRL will become famous soon enoughMEGA_DRACOS_XRL will become famous soon enoughMEGA_DRACOS_XRL will become famous soon enoughMEGA_DRACOS_XRL will become famous soon enoughMEGA_DRACOS_XRL will become famous soon enoughMEGA_DRACOS_XRL will become famous soon enoughMEGA_DRACOS_XRL will become famous soon enoughMEGA_DRACOS_XRL will become famous soon enoughMEGA_DRACOS_XRL will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Liger Zero @ Oct. 13 2009,17:25)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (daddypete @ Oct. 14 2009,00:26)]im sure the man had to have done something to even be consider for the nomination. Not backing him or anything but understand he do go across seas and meet with people that others wouldn't typically even talk. I mean not trying to be funny but tookie williams killed people and then came back later and said for there to be peace between gangs and got a nobel peace prize nomination...
He won the peace prize because he is the first black president. That is the only reason he won it.
Thats like saying Microsoft is great because of its OS.

MEGA_DRACOS_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #22
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't want to debate opinions but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I think he mostly got the Award because he's the first black president. He shouldnít have not even got in the running for the award. And he has not done anything except take the first family on private jets to get breakfast 1,000 miles away.
That he's the first black president, might be part of it, but it isn't most of it, imo. He represents change (how much remains to be seen) from the last president. A change for America and the rest of the world. I don't know, maybe you all were asleep when a Bush passed all the extreme domestic and foreign policy, and in other cases he, or his subordinates broke the law.

Obama represents a change from several of those policies - not all of them.

He's done nothing but have breakfast in foreign countries? If you can't think of a single thing he's done while in office, then you are not paying attention. That or you only pay attention to biased news sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]He won the peace prize because he is the first black president. That is the only reason he won it.
It might have played a part, but it wasn't the only reason. To say that it's the sole reason is stupid. Granted it's your opinion, but the only reason? Wow.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #23
masterbob
Old Skool Gamer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (TitaniumFist @ Oct. 14 2009,15:24)]I really don't want to debate opinions but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I think he mostly got the Award because he's the first black president. He shouldnít have not even got in the running for the award. And he has not done anything except take the first family on private jets to get breakfast 1,000 miles away.
That he's the first black president, might be part of it, but it isn't most of it, imo. He represents change (how much remains to be seen) from the last president. A change for America and the rest of the world. I don't know, maybe you all were asleep when a Bush passed all the extreme domestic and foreign policy, and in other cases he, or his subordinates broke the law.

He's done nothing but have breakfast in foreign countries? If you can't think of a single thing he's done while in office, then you are not paying attention. That or you only pay attention to biased news sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]He won the peace prize because he is the first black president. That is the only reason he won it.
It might have played a part, but it wasn't the only reason. To say that it's the sole reason is stupid. Granted it's your opinion, but the only reason? Wow.
Why do you think he was nominated? Just 11 (or less) days after taking office?
The only reason I can think of is because he's not Bush, and if that's the case, then damn the Peace Prize is pretty easy to win.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #24
Killer
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (masterbob @ Oct. 14 2009,16:39)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (TitaniumFist @ Oct. 14 2009,15:24)]I really don't want to debate opinions but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Why do you think he was nominated? Just 11 (or less) days after taking office?
The only reason I can think of is because he's not Bush, and if that's the case, then damn the Peace Prize is pretty easy to win.
Win.

I'm glad there are others who see what i see.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #25
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like

Did you actually read my post, Bob? I honestly have to ask. When Elena mentioned him not being bush, I didnít argue with it because thatís part of the reason he was nominated/awarded. When Liger states that the sole reason Obama was nominated/awarded the Nobel prize is because heís the first black POTUS, I find that notion stupid.

Reasons why I think he was nominated/awarded - in no particular order,

-A repudiation of President Bush, the Neocons who enabled him, supported him, wrote the policies he enacted, and the policies themselves which affected the US country and the world.

-First black president; the recognition that America has come a long way to move past its dark, very un-peaceful history.

-I believe them when they said it was to encourage him to follow a path to peace instead of war (Afghanistan and Iraq? He inherited those), his nuclear disarmament aspirations, and his wish to engage in a dialogue with perceived hostile nations rather than lie, look for reasons to justify your aggression, bomb first, sacrifice thousands of lives, and ask questions later.

-And Iíve heard this one, but itís just starting to sink in as I think about it more; the award was a thank you to the nation that elected him to office and a recognition of America itself as a nation.

Bob & VIP, do you agree with Liger's opinion that he was nominated and awarded for being the first black POTUS alone? Or do you feel it was the primary reason?