SFO : Street Fighter Online

Go Back   SFO : Street Fighter Online > NON-SFO Related > General

View Poll Results: Hiv increasing world wide - Will there ever be an effective vaccine?
Yes 5 71.43%
No 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

SFO : Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
increasing stars and becoming a vip. blackneo76 Members Help Center 52 09-12-2007 09:40 PM
TAUNT INCREASING THE GAUGE #1sakurafan New Features 8 08-19-2007 04:07 AM
Wide screen WhiskeyJack Bugs and Problems report 9 09-19-2006 09:47 AM
World wide shoto ~H~Zabuza Challenges and Tournaments 121 08-22-2006 07:45 AM
Increasing ram el_playa Members Help Center 3 06-08-2006 01:08 PM

Old 11-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Zpower
VIP

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 0
Zpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hiv increasing world wide

<span style='color:blue'>Poll Question: Will there ever be an effective vaccine to stop HIV and cure those infected?

There are 39.5 million people in the world living with HIV. Increases have been strongest in East Asia, Central Asia/Eastern Europe. There have been an estimated 4.3 million new infections in just this year, 2.8 million of these new infections occurring in sub-Saharan Africa. 40% of these new infections are from people ages 15 - 24. In 2006, 2.9 million died of Aids-related illnesses. Experts believe that the future of HIV infections hinges on the behaviours of young people and the choices they make towards sexual intercourse and other factors.

The main sources of HIV increase are high-risk behaviour such as injecting drug use, unprotected paid-for sex and unprotected sex between men. World-wide women are more likely to get infected than men. For example in sub-Saharan Africa, there are around 14 women living with HIV for every 10 men.

Some experts believe prevention programs will help decrease the HIV infections. For example China has had success in reducing HIV rates among sex workers, and injecting drug users, and in Portugal HIV diagnoses among drug injectors fell by almost a third between 2001 and 2005 following the implementation of special prevention programmes. But critics argue that in many countries prevention programes are not reaching the people most at risk.

Hilary Benn, the International Development Secretary, said: &quot;While most countries now recognise the existence of Aids, too many countries ignore the reality. &quot;The report shows clearly that HIV prevention must be targeted at the people most at risk of infection - young people, women and young girls, men who have sex with men, commercial sex workers and injecting drug users. &quot;This is not a time for embarrassment, this is about telling it straight because it is about saving people's lives.&quot;

-----

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has donated 287m to help speed up the creation of a effective vaccine to stop HIV. The money is being split into 16 grants for science teams across the world - with the aim that they work more collaboratively on new approaches. &quot;Unfortunately, developing an effective HIV vaccine has proven to be tremendously difficult, and despite the committed efforts of many researchers around the world, progress simply has not been fast enough,&quot; said Dr Nicholas Hellmann, of the Gates Foundation's HIV, TB and reproductive health programme.

He said the aim of the grant funding is to identify the most innovative approaches in vaccine research and then direct future efforts towards those ideas.

--------------------------------

So question is.. do you think there will ever be a cure for HIV? Also what is all this talk about Bug Chasers? Apparently Bug Chasers are *** men who go out looking to get infected by the HIV virus on purpose... have these men gone insane? Anyhow it is said that most of the Bug Chasers only have a fantasy of the idea of having HIV.. but could these idiots actually misguide a *** teen to actually go out looking to get infected?.. Anyhow thats another topic.. but for now lets discuss possibly cures for HIV.... and or will there ever be a real cure?... you tell me...but all I know is.. HIV is increasing.. right now there are 40 million+ people infected... we have to find a way to stop it...</span>

rewopzmaI
Zpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
LegacyofKain
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
LegacyofKain is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some diseases we won't be able to cure,afterallo we are not gods and won't live indefintly.

However based on facts viral infections have always been harder to defeat than bacterial ( i think i remember hearing a Virus mutates very rapidly where as bacterial is slower)

Unless there's an actualy breakthrough tha will 100% vaccinate people,then these prevention programs are pointless.
After all for every 1 person with HIV who doesn't go round sleeping with people there's proberl another 10 doing the opposite perhaps not even knowing they have it.

If there is to be a cure i imagine it will exist within nature (nature is basically mankinds pharmacy) and although we can manufacture drugs nothing can beat the potency of what nature can cook up.

What i will say is if they can first identify the area in whch it originated then perhaps there are animals/plants with some sort of immunity built up against it.
Even if there's not a complete cure perhaps there's something out there than can higher your resitance to catching it.

But in all honesty unless it's found within nature i don't think it will be cured,after all illness is just natures way of keeping the population down,something which medical science fights aginst but inevitably always loses to.

Even if a cure were to be found i imagine it wouldn't be long till some sort of mutation comes along and changes the virus further,simply look at bacterial infections and how there growing an increasing immunity to antibiotics

LegacyofKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
LiL_DRS
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 624
LiL_DRS is an unknown quantity at this point

If docotors trace back to the frist time Hiv was found, and find out where the person had been the last 7-12 months, we could probably find a cure. Cause if they could trace back they would find where the person had been and could track down to see how they may have gotten the sickness.

Just time can tell, all man kind could be wiped out in mere days, only time can tell.
LiL_DRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
LegacyofKain
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
LegacyofKain is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (LiL_DRS @ Nov. 21 2006,16:22)]If docotors trace back to the frist time Hiv was found, and find out where the person had been the last 7-12 months, we could probably find a cure. Cause if they could trace back they would find where the person had been and could track down to see how they may have gotten the sickness.

Just time can tell, all man kind could be wiped out in mere days, only time can tell.
well HIV didn't suddenly just appear one day in a man also i'm sure the virus itself is very old so it's hard to find the first humans to have it,not impossible though (not sure if dead bodies can still harbor the virus) but if it does then i gues that can be done in that way.

Just out of curiosity can thsi virus actually survive outside a body? if so there's no telling where it originated,it could of grown on plants for all we know and some guy/woman gets it in them and bam.

Of course there's all sorts of theories of how it started though i'm not sure on which one is the currently prefered one (last i heard it was monekys or something)

LegacyofKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
LiL_DRS
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 624
LiL_DRS is an unknown quantity at this point

I had heard it was monkeys, also i heard was from homosexual contact men with men or some kind of homosexuality intercourse. Or like legacy said could have been a plant.
LiL_DRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
Wolfeh
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1337
Wolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to all
Visit Wolfeh's YouTube Visit Wolfeh's Last.FM

Actually, if there ever will be a cure, it'll come from the monkeys... They're the only ones who will ever hold the key to the murderer.
Wolfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
Wolfeh
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1337
Wolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to allWolfeh is a name known to all
Visit Wolfeh's YouTube Visit Wolfeh's Last.FM

*Forgive the double post, it's lagging*

Btw, the virus came from chilled monkey brains... After it went to America in 1960, I believe.
Wolfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
ArmedGunZ
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
ArmedGunZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past

dont think u needed poll but as time go on there will be 1..
...sfo say i create dumm topics but if younotice ppl are asking the same question i asking i created a topic similar 2 this and it got locked..
ArmedGunZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #9
Klens
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 66
Klens will become famous soon enoughKlens will become famous soon enoughKlens will become famous soon enoughKlens will become famous soon enoughKlens will become famous soon enoughKlens will become famous soon enoughKlens will become famous soon enoughKlens will become famous soon enoughKlens will become famous soon enoughKlens will become famous soon enoughKlens will become famous soon enough

yea theres so many things coming out of this its becoming a big deal in the world but who knows how it started...seeing as i heard myself it came from monkeys...will there be a cure i believe yes cause so much money is spent on studying the disease according to my biology book...but the wierd thing is that you dont feel symptoms for a while so i takes a while for you to know if you have it or not...so remember get that hiv test