SFO : Street Fighter Online

Go Back   SFO : Street Fighter Online > NON-SFO Related > General

SFO : Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Liger's Favorite Buddy cop Films Liger Zero General 9 06-22-2013 09:51 PM
Liger's Top 10 Made For DVD Films Liger Zero General 5 05-30-2013 04:03 PM
Liger's Top 11 Vampire Films Liger Zero General 4 04-29-2013 08:26 AM
Liger's Top 30 Favorite films Liger Zero General 4 10-07-2012 07:11 AM
Liger's Top 11 Most Anticipated Films 2012-2013 Liger Zero General 7 05-22-2012 01:04 PM

Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
Liger Zero
SECTION 1 & 2

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 6427
Liger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really nice
Default Liger's Favorite 13 Films of the Past 10 Years

Well this will be a list in no particular order of my favorite films of the past 10 years. This goes from 2003 to 2013. If there is a movie thats not on this list it doesnt mean I thought it was bad it just ment it wasnt one of my absolute favorites. Also 13 is an awkward number I know.

JCVD (2008)

I was not interested at all in watching a film where Jean Claude Van Damme plays a fictionalized version of himself. It wasnt until he gained huge praise from Nic Cage who said he was probably the best actor that year. Time Magazine listed Jean Claude as the number 2 best actor of 2008 only person above him was Heath Ledger. They even went on to say it was an Oscar worthy preformace. I never thought I would hear the words Oscar any where close to Jean Claude Van Damme.

I gave the movie a Look and wow was I amazed. This film blew me away in every standard. Jean Claude was just amazing in this film you could feel his emotions. I knew he had gotten better at acting from other films before this but this totally blew everything out of the water. There is a scene that will tug at your heart and make you want to cry. I suggest you take a look at this film because it totally changes my opinion of Jean Claude as an actor.

Batman Begins (2005)

I was sceptical of a reboot when this film was coming out but boy was I so freakin happy. It took a character with no powers and put him in a real life setting. That was probably the only reason it worked was because he had no powers. The acting was amazing and the characters were all great. To me this is the best of the Nolan Batman films. It had a steady pace and good story telling.

The Dark Knight (2008)

This film wasnt as good as Begins but it continued the story ark just fine. Heath Ledger puts in a preformance for the decade as the Joker. He took a character and molded it into something not really before seen with the Joker very much. He was so into character you would never have thought it was ever Heath Ledger and its a shame he died after this film was made.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)

This is everyones dream pirate movie. Its always been close to my heart and I will always love it. Johnny Depp plays one of the greatest movie characters in this film as Jack Sparrow. The actors all acted well and the story was solid and well told. No one and nothing brought this film down at all. The sequels wouldnt ever come to par with the film though On Stranger Tides is a very good sequel compared to the other 2.

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003)

I was a fan of these films though they did change things that didnt need any changing and left stuff out that should have been taken out because they were awesome. Still these films are better than any of the other lord of the rings films every made. They were acted well and it was directed well. The stroy telling was solid even with the changes. I really enjoyed these movies.

Felon (2008)

Val Kilmer could have won an Oscar for this film. Its well acted for the most part by maybe 4 guys in this movie. This is pretty much a typical prison movie but something about Val Kilmer in this film sets it apart. He plays a character that you feel you should hate because he murdered people but something just draws you into liking him. His character development makes you like this character and want more of him. The film is pretty boring for 15 minutes until he fully comes into the movie and then its just awesome to watch anytime he comes on screen because he lights it up.

The Last Samurai (2003)

This was an awesome movie. It was well acted by everybody and I consider it Tom Cruises best movie. Ken Watanabe is also great in it and the ending will make you want to cry. The movie had a steady pace and it was a well told story. The honor level in this movie is rediculous and I found I really like this movie.

The Place Beyond the Pines (2013)

If Ryan Gosling doesnt get an Oscar for this film something is terribly wrong. Its extremely well acted by Ryan Gosling and its a well told story. When I saw the trailers I thought it was a typical crime drama but it ends up being way way more than that. Its a very well told story and the acting in this film is good all around especially from Ryan Gosling who gives one of his greatest preformances.

Kill Bill Vol 2 (2004)

I think ive said it before that I liked part 2 way more than part 1. It had a steadier pace and better character developement. Michael Madsen is just awesome in this film and it tells way more of a story. I know everyone knows these movies so there isnt much I need to say other than that.

V for Vendetta (2004)

This was a very well acted movie and had a solid story. Though it wasnt a ground breaking story it was still a very well told story. I really liked the V character in this film played by Hugo Weaving and thats what made it a better film. I feel if they gotten anyone else to play him it would have brought the movie down.

The Wrestler (2008)

Mickey Rourke was robbed of an Oscar for his brilliant preformance. Its about a down and out old wrestler who knows nothing else in life other than wrestling and his life outside of that gets pretty crappy. Its very well acted and is a very sad told story. I really love this movie being a wrestling and movie fan.

Hot Fuzz (2007)

I love this movie because its not just a typical comedy its like every genre rolled up into one. Its a very very well paced and told story with every little thing coming together at the end of the film. It was written by and starts Simon Pegg who is just awesome.

No Country for Old Men (2007)

This is probably one of the fewest book adaptions thats very very accurate to the book. Its very well acted by everyone in the cast and is paced just liked the book and everyone pours their hearts into this movie. I love Josh Brolin in this movie and Javier Bardem deserved the Oscar for it.

Well thats it for some of my favorite films in the past 10 years. Yes there are more but Im tired and should go to bed before I cant type anymore haha. No on a serious note I know its not what everyone proably expected from me because of how big of an action movie fan I am but these films were very well rounded movies in everyway. I think only 1 or 2 are up there because a particular actor carried the film into something more then it was.
Liger Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice
Default Re: Liger's Favorite 13 Films of the Past 10 Years

I'd probably have a list like this one... but it would require me to add, Avengers, Ironman and Real Steel (my number one movie of all time)

Kill bill unfortunately didn't attract me that much, cause the first one was no action and the second was all action no story. to me a great movie should of been having both and not separate them like that. not to mention bill, great performance, but not the fight we all expected.
SSJKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Liger Zero
SECTION 1 & 2

Post Thanks / Like
Liger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJKarma View Post
I'd probably have a list like this one... but it would require me to add, Avengers, Ironman and Real Steel (my number one movie of all time)

Kill bill unfortunately didn't attract me that much, cause the first one was no action and the second was all action no story. to me a great movie should of been having both and not separate them like that. not to mention bill, great performance, but not the fight we all expected.
I actually thought the opposite like everything was non stop action through the first film. It really didnt have any developement. The 2nd slowed wayyyyy down and actually talked a whole lot more through the movie. It built up Buds character through the movie all the way until he got betrayed by Ell.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 776
TitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liger Zero View Post
JCVD (2008)

I was not interested at all in watching a film where Jean Claude Van Damme plays a fictionalized version of himself. It wasnt until he gained huge praise from Nic Cage who said he was probably the best actor that year. Time Magazine listed Jean Claude as the number 2 best actor of 2008 only person above him was Heath Ledger. They even went on to say it was an Oscar worthy preformace. I never thought I would hear the words Oscar any where close to Jean Claude Van Damme.

I gave the movie a Look and wow was I amazed. This film blew me away in every standard. Jean Claude was just amazing in this film you could feel his emotions. I knew he had gotten better at acting from other films before this but this totally blew everything out of the water. There is a scene that will tug at your heart and make you want to cry. I suggest you take a look at this film because it totally changes my opinion of Jean Claude as an actor.
Seen it. I liked it.

Quote:
Batman Begins (2005)

I was sceptical of a reboot when this film was coming out but boy was I so freakin happy. It took a character with no powers and put him in a real life setting. That was probably the only reason it worked was because he had no powers. The acting was amazing and the characters were all great. To me this is the best of the Nolan Batman films. It had a steady pace and good story telling.
Heh. Thought I was in the minority with liking the first of the trilogy more than the others. It told the most complete, least convoluted story. One of the best origin stories.

Quote:
The Dark Knight (2008)

This film wasnt as good as Begins but it continued the story ark just fine. Heath Ledger puts in a preformance for the decade as the Joker. He took a character and molded it into something not really before seen with the Joker very much. He was so into character you would never have thought it was ever Heath Ledger and its a shame he died after this film was made.
Good for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)

This is everyones dream pirate movie. Its always been close to my heart and I will always love it. Johnny Depp plays one of the greatest movie characters in this film as Jack Sparrow. The actors all acted well and the story was solid and well told. No one and nothing brought this film down at all. The sequels wouldnt ever come to par with the film though On Stranger Tides is a very good sequel compared to the other 2.
Eh. Pirate films.

Quote:
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003)

I was a fan of these films though they did change things that didnt need any changing and left stuff out that should have been taken out because they were awesome. Still these films are better than any of the other lord of the rings films every made. They were acted well and it was directed well. The stroy telling was solid even with the changes. I really enjoyed these movies.
Skipped all 3.

Quote:
Felon (2008)

Val Kilmer could have won an Oscar for this film. Its well acted for the most part by maybe 4 guys in this movie. This is pretty much a typical prison movie but something about Val Kilmer in this film sets it apart. He plays a character that you feel you should hate because he murdered people but something just draws you into liking him. His character development makes you like this character and want more of him. The film is pretty boring for 15 minutes until he fully comes into the movie and then its just awesome to watch anytime he comes on screen because he lights it up.
Haven't sen it.

Quote:
The Last Samurai (2003)

This was an awesome movie. It was well acted by everybody and I consider it Tom Cruises best movie. Ken Watanabe is also great in it and the ending will make you want to cry. The movie had a steady pace and it was a well told story. The honor level in this movie is rediculous and I found I really like this movie.
I've only seen it once, but I did like it. Mostly.

Quote:
The Place Beyond the Pines (2013)

If Ryan Gosling doesnt get an Oscar for this film something is terribly wrong. Its extremely well acted by Ryan Gosling and its a well told story. When I saw the trailers I thought it was a typical crime drama but it ends up being way way more than that. Its a very well told story and the acting in this film is good all around especially from Ryan Gosling who gives one of his greatest preformances.
I hated this film with a passion. It was a waste of my time. The film never afforded the characters or the story the depth and time they deserved to even be a decent film, for me.

I also don't get Gosling. He's pretty much an android. I understand why women get him, but I don't get him.

Dwayne, Liger, come at me.

Quote:
Kill Bill Vol 2 (2004)

I think ive said it before that I liked part 2 way more than part 1. It had a steadier pace and better character developement. Michael Madsen is just awesome in this film and it tells way more of a story. I know everyone knows these movies so there isnt much I need to say other than that.
I've only watched them through the one time. Tarantino always knows what he's doing, and does it well.

Quote:
V for Vendetta (2004)

This was a very well acted movie and had a solid story. Though it wasnt a ground breaking story it was still a very well told story. I really liked the V character in this film played by Hugo Weaving and thats what made it a better film. I feel if they gotten anyone else to play him it would have brought the movie down.
I know Alan Moore hates that they made it into a film (he hates that they make anything from the comic medium into a film, actually), but it's one of my favorite comic adaptations for film. Never read the original books.

The final action sequence is a masterpiece not because of the level of violence, but because of the overall story, V's motives and story, basically everything had built up to that moment.

Quote:
The Wrestler (2008)

Mickey Rourke was robbed of an Oscar for his brilliant preformance. Its about a down and out old wrestler who knows nothing else in life other than wrestling and his life outside of that gets pretty crappy. Its very well acted and is a very sad told story. I really love this movie being a wrestling and movie fan.
Haven't seen it. But yeah, he was robbed. Unfortunately, by an equally good (but better in my book) actor - Sean Penn. Haven't watched Milk yet, and I don't doubt Penn's performance, but it was partially about the message/politics I always thought.

Quote:
Hot Fuzz (2007)

I love this movie because its not just a typical comedy its like every genre rolled up into one. Its a very very well paced and told story with every little thing coming together at the end of the film. It was written by and starts Simon Pegg who is just awesome.
Yup. Looking forward to their end of the world film - won't be watching the American end of the world film that came out recently. Looks like garbage.

Quote:
No Country for Old Men (2007)

This is probably one of the fewest book adaptions thats very very accurate to the book. Its very well acted by everyone in the cast and is paced just liked the book and everyone pours their hearts into this movie. I love Josh Brolin in this movie and Javier Bardem deserved the Oscar for it.
Good for what it was, but the ending was a bit of a let down. Tommy Lee Jones was awesome, as always.

Click Here to Vote for the Storm Dream Goal.
TitaniumFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Liger Zero
SECTION 1 & 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Haven't seen it. But yeah, he was robbed. Unfortunately, by an equally good (but better in my book) actor - Sean Penn. Haven't watched Milk yet, and I don't doubt Penn's performance, but it was partially about the message/politics I always thought.
Actually Sean Penn isnt Oscar worthy at all in Milk. He plays your typical kind of movement leader but in no real special way. Mickey Rourke was just amazing in the Wrestler and the only reason he didnt win the Oscar was because he even said "Most of the academy members dont like me so Im surprised I even got a nomination. I wont go as far as to get excited about winning cause I dont think I will"

Quote:
Yup. Looking forward to their end of the world film - won't be watching the American end of the world film that came out recently. Looks like garbage.
The Worlds End which isnt really an end of the world film its them going to different pubs one being called The Worlds End but everyone is turning into robots. Still his movies are amazing.

This is The End the one you said looks like garbage actually was funny. I was shocked that I actually liked it. It was pretty unique in the fact every actor in the movie plays themselves and to see them all interact with eachother was funny.

Quote:
Good for what it was, but the ending was a bit of a let down. Tommy Lee Jones was awesome, as always.
Everybody says that but thats how the book ended. This was probably the most accurate book adaption ever made. The book just ends suddenly like the movie does. Im glad they didnt go all Hollywood on it and give it a weird ending like when they change Stephen Kings endings all the time.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #6
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

Lieger, im gonna say this much... knowing them... the worlds end movie wil also be about the end of the world. after all, everyone around them seems to be turning into a robot, and if hot fuzz is any indications of what they are capable of... it is that everyone will be involved in one way or another.

gosh i can't wait to see that one.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:02 AM   #7
Liger Zero
SECTION 1 & 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJKarma View Post
Lieger, im gonna say this much... knowing them... the worlds end movie wil also be about the end of the world. after all, everyone around them seems to be turning into a robot, and if hot fuzz is any indications of what they are capable of... it is that everyone will be involved in one way or another.

gosh i can't wait to see that one.
Dont forget Simon Peggs other movie gem Shaun of the Dead.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I can't stop thinking of shawn of the dead, hot fuzz, paul and now worlds end.
they are awesome movies. well except worlds end which i haven't seen yet. but whatever... im sure its gonna be awesome.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
DwAyN3
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 85
DwAyN3 has a spectacular aura aboutDwAyN3 has a spectacular aura aboutDwAyN3 has a spectacular aura aboutDwAyN3 has a spectacular aura aboutDwAyN3 has a spectacular aura aboutDwAyN3 has a spectacular aura aboutDwAyN3 has a spectacular aura aboutDwAyN3 has a spectacular aura aboutDwAyN3 has a spectacular aura aboutDwAyN3 has a spectacular aura aboutDwAyN3 has a spectacular aura about

Here's my list

American Psycho
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
District 9
Prometheus
Drive (2011)
Inception
The Place Beyond the Pines
Wall-E
Lost in Translation
28 Days Later

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumFist View Post

I hated this film with a passion. It was a waste of my time. The film never afforded the characters or the story the depth and time they deserved to even be a decent film, for me.

I also don't get Gosling. He's pretty much an android. I understand why women get him, but I don't get him.

Dwayne, Liger, come at me.
Lol, Goslin is great in almost every movie he's in. (my opinion) check out some of his other films blue valentine, drive, and crazy stupid love.

Last edited by DwAyN3; 06-30-2013 at 09:54 PM.
DwAyN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
Liger Zero
SECTION 1 & 2

Post Thanks / Like

American Psycho was 2000 and not within the 10 year limmit.