SFO : Street Fighter Online

Go Back   SFO : Street Fighter Online > Street Fighter Online > New Features

SFO : Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SFO Sidekick Gadget TitaniumFist General Comments & Strategies 76 07-05-2018 03:26 PM
SFO Sidekick 2.0? Lightning~Bolt New Features 5 04-29-2011 04:33 PM

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
-Disciple-

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 0
-Disciple- is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SFO Sidekick 2.0

Well its been almost 3 years since the original was released and it got swept under the Mat.
Here are just a few ideas on it

- It should be like a launcher I.E (Rumbler Figher's Launcher) : as you open up the SFO Sidekick you should be able to click a button which launches SFO.

- Tells you who's online and using the SFO Sidekick : As soon as you start up the Sidekick you should be able to see who's online and what there doing online like if there in tourney server this would help alot for when your doing tournements and searching for your opponent.

- Faster score updates : the quicker your updated on your win/loses the better , right ? well that's the idea for this one

Do you agree ? Yes or No

Link to the original release
http://forums.streetfighteronline.co...ad.php?t=22345

The battle has just begun
Old 03-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
-Elite_Ken-
EVIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 77
-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: SFO Sidekick 2.0

I highly doubt that people care for the SFO SideKick anymore.

...But about what you suggested:

1. You just described an SFO Spy gadget, which doesn't sound cool, even if the features do.

2. Faster Updates comes at a price, and I think that has to do with the SFO server high score update speed...rather then the Side Kick.

3. Launching SFO from it sound about OK.

...Just seems like lots work for low pay. (Pay being amount of appreciation and usage.)
Old 03-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
-Disciple-

Post Thanks / Like
-Disciple- is an unknown quantity at this point

im pretty sure people will use it if it has the features i suggested

The battle has just begun
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 776
TitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Disciple- View Post
Well its been almost 3 years since the original was released and it got swept under the Mat.
Here are just a few ideas on it
Which is why sViz and I spending weeks/months creating an updated version does not seem like a worthwhile endeavor.

Quote:
- It should be like a launcher I.E (Rumbler Figher's Launcher) : as you open up the SFO Sidekick you should be able to click a button which launches SFO.
Have you ever used the Sidekick? The gadget already does this. Run Sidekick > Click the controller "Gameplay" button, set the SFO and GV locations. Launch SFO / GV from Sidekick.

Quote:
- Tells you who's online and using the SFO Sidekick : As soon as you start up the Sidekick you should be able to see who's online and what there doing online like if there in tourney server this would help alot for when your doing tournements and searching for your opponent.
Not possible. That would require the Sidekick to gather data from a part of the game which is not public. Remember that the Sidekick only uses public data.

Quote:
- Faster score updates : the quicker your updated on your win/loses the better , right ? well that's the idea for this one
Score update speed is dependant on the Top Scores page. Second, I don't see an increase in rank checking as a major draw for players to rush back to the Sidekick.

Quote:
Do you agree ? Yes or No
As one of the two people who created the Sidekick, no. I don't agree.

Incidentally, there was a recent poll asking for similar updates to the Sidekick. Out of a total six votes, the majority stated the gadget was "A complete waste of time." Now, why would we go back to work on something no one would use? (And the only features that, in theory, would make players want to use it are virtually impossible.)

Poll:

http://forums.streetfighteronline.co...ad.php?t=27626

Oh, and FYI, the Track and Search features are currently not working in the Sidekick - for those of you who still use it. The Top 50 scores feature still works. We'll troubleshoot the problem.

Click Here to Vote for the Storm Dream Goal.

Last edited by TitaniumFist; 03-13-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
blockattack
SFO Admin

Tournaments Joined: 3
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1181
blockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to all
Visit blockattack's Facebook Visit blockattack's Twitter Visit blockattack's YouTube

SMH ...
*idiots* ..

This is why SFO doesnt get new toys ...

Need to contact blocky?
blockattack@streetfighteronline.com

Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
-Elite_Ken-
EVIP

Post Thanks / Like
-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockattack View Post
SMH ...
*idiots* ..

This is why SFO doesnt get new toys ...
You could have made a better 8,000th Post -.- Because I am trying to figure out who are the idiots.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
jon479
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 146
jon479 is an unknown quantity at this pointjon479 is an unknown quantity at this pointjon479 is an unknown quantity at this pointjon479 is an unknown quantity at this pointjon479 is an unknown quantity at this pointjon479 is an unknown quantity at this point
Visit jon479's Facebook

Lol what ek said xD

Old 03-14-2012, 02:21 AM   #8
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

TFist, you are wrong on so many levels when it comes to knowing whos online or not !
sure SFO chat servers can't be accessed from other sources... but can your sidekick keep track of swhos using it ?

bit of imagination here... sidekick could track people who uses it and use that info to tell who's online right now while using the sidekick itself. future references could make the sidekick the oficial SFO friends lists.

but thats just a saying of me being a bit to innovator to my likings, you decide if its worth or not, but it is definitely something id work the sidekick for. kind of a tutorial driven movelist guide. and a friends list gadget for SFO.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
x~Silver~x
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 3
x~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enoughx~Silver~x will become famous soon enough

lmfao @ block attack xD tfist has a point though no point in going back to work on something that the sfo member wont use when they could spend there time bringing new things into sfo that may bring a bigger population back to the game

Achievements:
SDC 2k11Champion
Clan Leader of Marvel Inc
Best Ryu Of 2011
Xmas Ghost Winner (Event)
Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like
TitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJKarma View Post
TFist, you are wrong on so many levels when it comes to knowing whos online or not !
sure SFO chat servers can't be accessed from other sources... but can your sidekick keep track of swhos using it ?
No, Karma, I am not wrong. I'm correct on the only level I was addressing, IE: the Sidekick being able to tell who's online in the game - which is really what users want, and what is the most important. It is impossible. On that you agree.

Your second point, and one the OP made, Sidekick being able to tell when other Sidekick users are online: sure, it is possible. But what real purpose does it serve? Why I think it wouldn't do much good:

1) It would make the Sidekick just another messenger application, like MSN, telling you when other MSN/Sidekick users are online.

2) A player could have the Sidekick running in their systemtray while having long closed SFO, or never even opened it.

3) The Sidekick has no communication function, meaning even if I open up the Sidekick and see my buddies SSJKarma and blockattack are on, I still have to open SFO, find out if they are in the servers, and if they aren't, then I have to open an IM program and contact them. Seems like too many extra steps to me.

Quote:
bit of imagination here... sidekick could track people who uses it and use that info to tell who's online right now while using the sidekick itself. future references could make the sidekick the oficial SFO friends lists.

Yes, I agree, an SFO friends list would be cool. But not much use if you can't contact those friends. And if sViz went to the trouble of coding the ability to contact buddies on the list, would players be happy with that and use it? Or would the contact quality be compared to things like AIM, YM, ICQ, MSN, etc. which members already know and use and offer a wider variety of features?

Quote:
but thats just a saying of me being a bit to innovator to my likings, you decide if its worth or not, but it is definitely something id work the sidekick for. kind of a tutorial driven movelist guide. and a friends list gadget for SFO.
Movelist? But that's what the fansites are for. I suppose simple text and images for movelists would be very easy to incorporate, though.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will ask sViz about it, but you already have my opinions in this post.

The biggest issues for the future of the Sidekick will always be:

1) What do users want?

2) Can it be done? Or is it impossible due to inaccessable areas of SFO?

3) Is it worth our time? (For me, this comes first where sViz is concerned. Members lost interest in something she coded when she gained nothing from doing so. Okay. Why should she do that again?)

Last edited by TitaniumFist; 03-14-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

so you mean to tell me that the sfo sidekick project of yours was useless since th ebeginning ? then why having created that project to begin with ?

projects have goals to begin wtih thats all i was saying tfist, as a programmer myself i know how long it takes to make things and how poor it is to make something useless... but the reality is, any project that you placed time on can be good to put more time on if you have a goal to go along.

so what was the gal of the sidekick to begin with ?
maybe we can expand that goal to further the idea.
right now all i can see is you or sviz not wanting to work on a project that never started to begin with.

heres a few things that could expand into and could possibly give the sidekick more attention...
- friends list (so what if it makes it another messenger, if thats what people want)
- TMC altering program (aka the sidekick could create and modify TMC stories on the fly)
- SFO Guides (yes the websites are there, but what gives they are never up to date)

thats only off the top of my head if i actually knew what the sidekick was designed for to begin with im sure i could expand on that as well. as i said, if you truly dont want to work ont hat anymore, fine by me, im simply trying to tell you that the sidekick could be so much more then it is right now. playing with top ranking is far from the only thing that thing should be doing. i'd say lack of feature is what made the program not used in the first place.

we'll have to speak again for that RPG of yours and how it could end up. the sidekick could definitely be used to make it.

Last edited by SSJKarma; 03-14-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
-Elite_Ken-
EVIP

Post Thanks / Like

Oh since the topic is being discussed...

Ok so SFO online list can't be access through outside sources...but what about access through the ranking page?

If you look closely it does show when a player last logged into SFO when you search them.

Now here is a plan;

1. You would have to add a player into your friend list.

2. When you refresh that list, or start the Sidekick; it would look for when that person last logged in...and it could display "Logged in 1 hour ago" or "Logged in 30 mins ago" or something relevant to that.

[Part-2]

Not sure if the server records the time when players log out as well [Since that Info is not displayed in he ranking page]

If it does;

1. Then it could just check the log in time and the last log out time.

Ex: Here are the 2 recent recorded datas

(Player01) last logged out 3/13/2012 8:00 Pm
(Player01) last logged in 3/14/2012 2:00 Pm

(By matching the two infos it would read that the player has logged in after the last recorded logout time, and there fore must be online)

EX2: Another 2 piece of recorded data.

(Player01) last logged out 3/14/2012 8:00 Pm
(Player01) last logged in 3/14/2012 2:00 Pm

(By matching the two infos it would read that the player has logged out after the last recorded login time, and there fore must be Offline)

[This is Just to tackle the issue of what is possible and not possible]
Old 03-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
(AK)
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
(AK) is an unknown quantity at this point(AK) is an unknown quantity at this point(AK) is an unknown quantity at this point(AK) is an unknown quantity at this point(AK) is an unknown quantity at this point(AK) is an unknown quantity at this point
Visit (AK)'s Facebook Visit (AK)'s YouTube

hi SSJKarma btw... a SFO side-kick? could this be really good for the future?
Old 03-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJKarma View Post
so you mean to tell me that the sfo sidekick project of yours was useless since th ebeginning ? then why having created that project to begin with ?
I know you are not that dense, Karma. If we're going to discuss this, don't present logical fallacies as my position or sViz's.

That we don't see the need to work on the Sidekick right now is not evidence that we never cared for the program to begin with, or simply don't want to do the work. However, it is evidence that based on the community's lack of interest to the care shown to and work done on the Sidekick, we do not yet see the need to update it.

Try to see the difference in our logic, and what you are presenting as our logic.

Quote:
right now all i can see is you or sviz not wanting to work on a project that never started to begin with.
Re-read my posts before stating more logical fallacies. Look through the mod section thread on this issue, too. We have no problem updating it, if users will actually use the program, and if the updates the users want are feasible.

Right now, you have no proof users will. Your word and suggestions alone are not enough in the form of proof or a reason to update the program. Funny enough, an actual poll (linked earlier) was in the majority for no more updates. If it was simply a question of the work, we never would have created a Sidekick.

Quote:
heres a few things that could expand into and could possibly give the sidekick more attention...
- friends list (so what if it makes it another messenger, if thats what people want)
Addressed in an earlier post.

Quote:
- TMC altering program (aka the sidekick could create and modify TMC stories on the fly)
Another TMC editing program? Redundant, and you of all people should know why. Second, the Sidekick is an all-user friendly program. It's not a program created for the staff (the people who create and update TMC stories), it's created for the whole community. So, no TMC editing via Sidekick.

Quote:
- SFO Guides (yes the websites are there, but what gives they are never up to date)
Addressed in an earlier post.

Quote:
thats only off the top of my head if i actually knew what the sidekick was designed for to begin with im sure i could expand on that as well.
Quote:
as i said, if you truly dont want to work ont hat anymore, fine by me, im simply trying to tell you that the sidekick could be so much more then it is right now. playing with top ranking is far from the only thing that thing should be doing. i'd say lack of feature is what made the program not used in the first place.
Which brings us back to points 1 and 2 of my last post. It's great to say "if it did MORE it would be awesome!", but what "more" do users want? And is it possible? So far, in most cases what users want is not possible. So, it isn't a question of simply not wanting to do the work. For a guy who's always annoyed that users don't read his posts, you're doing a great job missing points made in my earlier posts.

Quote:
we'll have to speak again for that RPG of yours and how it could end up. the sidekick could definitely be used to make it.
Nah. So far, you and I are the only ones who expressed interest in the RPG. Not even going to consider using the Sidekick for it. If you want to create a proggie for it, feel free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short version of EK's post
(By matching the two infos it would read that the player has logged in after the last recorded logout time, and there fore must be online)
Sounds good in theory. I'll talk to sViz and TMyApp, respectively. Whenever I have time.

Last edited by TitaniumFist; 03-14-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #15
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

now's whos dense ?
i never said anything about my theories or views as you may call it, to be a reality. i was simply stating that you not wanting to work on it anymore becuse of lack of interest was a result of you not having it worked on for years !

also the TMC thing... i never said anything about it creating stories by the public... but about it "MANAGING" a story from within ? exemple, we have a story on a website, your program gain access to say the log files or even better the script itself. then make modifications to it in order to give users more or less access to it. because lets face it... TMC is not incorporated intot he game itself, they are still stand alone programs.

my best exemple was my idea i had a while back to create a program that would make SFO RPG a reality. how would it know in game who did what ? simple, the program would connect to my scripts and logs and read characters info out of there and modify accesses to incorporate the said levels into the actual in-game setting. for this to work, you dont need tmyapps permission as long as the story itself isn't in the official folders. there you go, outside project actually playing around with TMC. if you wanna further this idea then we'll speak in private but thats basically what i was saying.

the other thing i was saying that you didn't put up... my fault it should of been at the top with the rest...
i think your project didn't work out due to its lack of features.
what are the features of that gadget and are they really necessary ?
thats more like what you should ask yourself.
the more features the more people will want to use it.
right now i think the features are just meh... i dont see a need to use it.
using it as a launcher... sorry but i'll just launch it from my browser then...
using it to search the top score... well good idea in theory, bad in practice we can already search that top score from the official link.

see what i mean... it will need more features and better one at that to actually get peoples attention. thats all i was saying.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 AM   #16
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like

Again, I'm keeping track of all suggestions and will run them by sViz and TMyApp when I/we have time. No one's suggestions have gone unheard, but this is just becoming another "no, I'm right", "no, you read my post wrong, fool!" pissing match between Karma and I.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, including you Karma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumFist
Post made in anger edited.

Last edited by TitaniumFist; 03-15-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Closed Thread