Yes 0 0%
No 3 100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

SFO : Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auto-Tag evilryus5 Members Help Center 6 10-20-2008 12:31 AM
Rap artist phase 1 ~H~Zabuza Banners, Avatars and Images 1 08-01-2006 12:09 PM
Name that tune skine_man RaNdOm iNsAnItY 0 02-24-2006 12:55 PM
Win a sketch by udon's alvin lee, sf comic artist zao Links 12 12-08-2005 03:00 PM
Favourite music artist? JohnnyBlaze RaNdOm iNsAnItY 3 12-02-2005 06:20 AM

Old 09-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
Zpower
VIP

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 0
Zpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Should Music Artist Use Auto-Tune?

I've been reading about the use of Auto-Tune, in the music industry; and, I was wondering, do you think music artist should use it or stop using it.

What is Auto-Tune? Auto-Tune is pitch correction software that uses mathematical code, to correct the pitch, of a singer. It can be used to slightly modify a singer's pitch, or it can be used, to the extreme, to make the artist sound robotic.

Here are some examples, of singers, who have used Auto-Tune:

Dixie Chicks - The Long Way Around
T-Pain - I'm Sprung
Avril Lavigne - Complicated
Uncle Kracker - Follow Me
Maroon 5 - She Will Be Loved
Natasha Bedingfield - Love Like This
Sean Kingston - Beautiful girls
JoJo - Too Little Too Late
Rascal Flatts - Life is a Highway
Kanye West - Stronger
Cher - Believe
Shania Twain - I Feel Like a Woman
U2
Snoop Dogg - Sensual Seduction
Britney Spears
Backstreet Boys
Lil Wayne - Loli Pop

I just listed a few; there are plenty more, of course, ranging, from every type, of music genre.

Here are my thoughts:

At the end of the day, the music industry is about making money. So, if someone, like T-Pain, can sell millions of records, by using a pitch enhancing effect, then they should. It's all about what sells, and apparently, Auto-Tune is selling, to the masses. Will fans always enjoy listening to Auto-Tuned tracks? Maybe not; but, while it is popular, to use it, then artist are smart, to use it.

Here are some negatives about Auto-Tune:

-Vocals can sound robotic, if used improperly.
-Your favorite band could sound great on a record, but they could sound awful, in a live performance. Because, without Auto-Tune, their pitch could be really off.
-A lot of records could sound generic and unoriginal. Because, when a lot of people use Auto-Tune, more records will have similar sounds.
-Singers with less than stellar talent could be considered great; however, they are only considered great, because of Auto-Tune.

Positives of Auto-Tune:

-Auto-Tune can help an average singer, be perceived as great. However, if you really can't sing, to begin with, then no matter how much Auto-Tune you use; you will sill be unable, to sing.

-Auto-Tune can make decent tracks better tracks.

-The sound of Auto-Tune is popular, for now. This statement can be considered opinionated, but I'm basing this off of bill board charts. Lil Wayne's Loli Pop, which used Auto-Tune, was number 1. T-Pain's song was number 1, also. There are other examples too.

Anyhow, what is your opinion about Auto-Tune?

Maybe, the next time you go to a live performance, of your favorite band, and say, "Damn! They suck, at live performances." You'll know why.

rewopzmaI
Zpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Cassidy
Master

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
Cassidy is an unknown quantity at this point
Visit Cassidy's Twitter

Nah.. It really sucks..

@Keenu2
Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
GrandMasterJay

Post Thanks / Like
GrandMasterJay is an unknown quantity at this point

Kanye west didn't use autotune on stronger

no he didn't use it on there either
U2 never used it

JBlaze
GrandMasterJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
Zpower
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Zpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GrandMasterJay @ Sep. 07 2008,13:29)]Kanye west didn't use autotune on stronger

U2 never used it
I have some sources that state otherwise, but I'm not 100% positive those sources are accurate. But, if you listen to certain parts, of their songs, you can see a voice change slightly.

Again, I'm not 100% positive; however, I'm pretty sure those individuals, in fact, have used Auto-Tune. If you know 100% fact that those individuals didn't, then I would appreciate a link, so I could take them off the list.

Here are some more examples:

Akon
Chris Brown

Also, here is a link that numerous people say Sean Kingston uses Auto-Tune. I'll try to find more sources and things of that nature later.

http://www.maximumfun.org/blog....rl.html

Scroll down to read the comments.

Actually, here is a quote, from one of the comments. This is just one of many examples, from that link.

"I just watched the TRL live performance of this song and dubya tee eff!!! what a disappointment. Kid was off key, has zero stage presence and sounded like an 8 y/o... thank goodness he's got a nice rich family member who can fix him up in the records and still allows him to make money. Sad sad sad." - Anonymous

This, anonymous, individual is referring to Sean Kingston's TRL live performance compared, to his recorded performance.

rewopzmaI
Old 09-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
GrandMasterJay

Post Thanks / Like
GrandMasterJay is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Zpower @ Sep. 07 2008,13:44)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GrandMasterJay @ Sep. 07 2008,13:29)]Kanye west didn't use autotune on stronger

U2 never used it
I have some sources that state otherwise, but I'm not 100% positive those sources are accurate. But, if you listen to certain parts, of their songs, you can see a voice change slightly.

Again, I'm not 100% positive; however, I'm pretty sure those individuals, in fact, have used Auto-Tune. If you know 100% fact that those individuals didn't, then I would appreciate a link, so I could take them off the list.

Here are some more examples:

Akon
Chris Brown

Also, here is a link that numerous people say Sean Kingston uses Auto-Tune. I'll try to find more sources and things of that nature later.

http://www.maximumfun.org/blog....rl.html

Scroll down to read the comments.
well when people use it
and it's Very, VERY discreet it's fine with me
but when it's not subtle at all, then it's really anoying.
oh yeah im just saying put a better example than stronger since he didn't use it there
he may added affects but it's not autotune.
he used autotune on the lolipop remix though

JBlaze
GrandMasterJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
Elena
SECTION 1 & 2

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
Elena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the roughElena is a jewel in the rough
Visit Elena's Last.FM

I happen to love Akon's The-Dream's and T-Pain's cd. Autotune CAN get annoying but only when certain ppl use them...like lil wayne. Like personally I don't like Stronger...because he molested Daft Punk's song AND I just don't like the song on top of it...if yer gonna molest a song at least make it better...not turn it bad...which is what he did he made it bad.

Artists should be able to use w/e the hell they wanna use to make music....cause I love most of those songs u listed and if they didn't have their autotune it'd be a bit different.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
Zpower
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, well, I haven't been able, to do a really deep research, on various artist, who have used Auto-Tune. But, from the research I have done, I'm pretty sure everyone on that list has used it. Again, if I'm incorrect, on a certain individual, then I would appreciate some evidence to clarify; so, I could take them off the list.

Anyhow, I agree that some Auto-Tune is not that bad. But, I think it is a double edged sword, because if used improperly or used on majority, of the tracks, then it's time to stop, in my opinion. I like fresh sounds.

rewopzmaI
Old 09-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
(F-K)dark~ace
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
(F-K)dark~ace is an unknown quantity at this point

this is something i think about also...its a shame that artists who use auto-tone get paid all that money for a voice that they immitate to have...while there are people who have the real talented voice dont even get recognized...50cent for example uses it, that is not his *actual* voice, it is indeed the way he talks but not the actual sound of his voice(talked to him in person)..got backstage passes frm big cuzzin xD...but to the point i was surprised on how diffrent he sounded, rather then on his music videos, other singers that use it dont really have the talent, some producers just look for looks..

so thx to all the artists who honestly dont use Auto-tone

(F-K)dark~ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
Zpower
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some more quotes, from around the web, about the use of Auto-Tune.

-"IMO Auto-tune isn't necessary. The only requirement is a vocalist who can actually sing on key! That's really the problem, besides over-use.

-"F-k AutoTune. I hear it in about 80% of the songs played on the pop radio station and can't believe how blatant it usually is."

-"I guess the deal is, pop music is made to sell, not to be remembered as a classic. None of these songs will be looked at in 30 years as a classic. They have a good beat and they are built for tweens and teens. Very few in that generation are concerned with hearing the next classic song."

-"U2's Bono also was provided with autotune on One for reasons only God himself possibly understand. Why did U2 ***** up this song? The original is perfect, why do a bad cover of their OWN song?"

I'll get more quotes later.

rewopzmaI
Old 09-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #10
(F-K)dark~ace
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
(F-K)dark~ace is an unknown quantity at this point

i disagree with quote 3...alot of hip-hop songs can and will be classified as a classic and WILL be looked at 30 years later and it has happened before, alot of the songs that wil be remembered are songs by weezy

(F-K)dark~ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #11
HostileFTW

Post Thanks / Like
HostileFTW is an unknown quantity at this point

No, that's one of the reasons Dragonforce fails.