SFO : Street Fighter Online

Go Back   SFO : Street Fighter Online > NON-SFO Related > General

SFO : Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[NEW FEATURE] Imageshack, Photobucket & MEGAUPLOAD Uploader Raptor New Features 6 01-03-2010 09:03 PM
Music piracy crackdown nets college kids webbiest General 14 05-16-2007 12:02 PM
How do u close SHINVEGA32 Members Help Center 2 09-16-2006 12:20 PM

Old 01-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
SolidSnake76
Master

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 3107
SolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of light
Default RIP Megaupload: Feds close the site for piracy

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/te...racy.html?_r=1

Quote:
In what the federal authorities on Thursday called one of the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought, the Justice Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation seized the Web site Megaupload and charged seven people connected with it with running an international enterprise based on Internet piracy.
Oh god, the cyberwar is heating up. I bet this is in response to the protests and blackouts (not much of a blackout on some sites) and how the feds wanna flex their muscle in areas they fail to understand.

I really gotta bring this into the light guys, its my own personal feelings: SFO could fall down as well from these illegal and unjust laws being written up by these bloody dictators who are crying foul because they aren't making a dime themselves off the content. The entertainment industry is so pathetic spearheading this campaign against the net.

Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted...

Elder Veteran (2001-2002)
SolidSnake76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
xfaderx
SECTION 1 & 2

Tournaments Joined: 1
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1671
xfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of light
Visit xfaderx's YouTube
Default Re: RIP Megaupload: Feds close the site for piracy

wow, that totally sucks balls. Megaupload was probably the fastest for downloading of the "free" hosting sites. Rapidshare comes in a close second, then filesonic... but how long until the other guys get taken down based on the principles laid out from this case...?
xfaderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Crying-FrEEman
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 0
Crying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura about

Money is the motive .. having saying this certain cases where they are entitle to some $$$, so still comes down to money.

Go Hard ... OR ... Go Home!

Xtreme X Clan

Need For Speed Launch Sydney 2010

Enter Sick Pick

Crying-FrEEman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
-Elite_Ken-
EVIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 77
-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough-Elite_Ken- is a jewel in the rough

I seriously can't believe that just happened. Specially this soon.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
SolidSnake76
Master

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 3107
SolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of lightSolidSnake76 is a glorious beacon of light

I got a funny feeling Anonymous and 4chan are gonna go up in arms over this....

Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted...

Elder Veteran (2001-2002)
SolidSnake76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Cwing
SECTION 1 & 2

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 2648
Cwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the roughCwing is a jewel in the rough

They already did ... they took down the FBI/RIAA sites an hour after MU went down.
Cwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
HotTopic
Advanced Member

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 164
HotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura about

^ this is true read all about it Link-----> http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...n-retaliation/
and this just for kim-kam v
#!

Last edited by HotTopic; 01-20-2012 at 12:20 AM.
HotTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
Kim-Kam

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 388
Kim-Kam is on a distinguished roadKim-Kam is on a distinguished roadKim-Kam is on a distinguished roadKim-Kam is on a distinguished roadKim-Kam is on a distinguished roadKim-Kam is on a distinguished roadKim-Kam is on a distinguished roadKim-Kam is on a distinguished roadKim-Kam is on a distinguished road

Im gonna miss the theme song the most that came up...

M.E.G.A.

Upload to me today
send me a file

Megaupload

Meeeeeegaaaaaaa......Meeeeeegaaaaaa.

That was my junk, and I am so serious.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #9
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

are ou guys for real ?
you know, if you guys were developing softwares for a living... im pretty sure you'd beall ok with that site going down.

seriosuly im not surprised to see such sites going down...
we're not the same buddy...
megaupload was the hackers best place, of course it was going down at some point, i was surprised to see it go that far to begin with. we dont host any hacked softwares. we dont hack either. yes they may close us one day... but to be honest they did it once and never did it again. if they do it will again be only to proove a point. a point they have allt he rights to make.

there is one thing most software base themselves up for... they dont host the stuff, so they cant be arrested... thats bull****... they should do like youtube does... remove the thing when you find it out. hacking is hacking reguardless of how you do it. hacking is bad... thats all there is to it.

i could agree that many softwares cost way to much for what they are doing...
and thats the only reasons you'd be wanting to hack said softwares...
but for christ sake if you have the chance at getting it original, then do so !
SSJKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Master08
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Master08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Visit Master08's Facebook Visit Master08's YouTube
Thumbs up Re: RIP Megaupload: Feds close the site for piracy

I didnt go on it anyways so i couldnt care less but that song is cool
Old 01-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
Zpower
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Zpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the roughZpower is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJKarma View Post
are ou guys for real ?
you know, if you guys were developing softwares for a living... im pretty sure you'd beall ok with that site going down.

seriosuly im not surprised to see such sites going down...
we're not the same buddy...
megaupload was the hackers best place, of course it was going down at some point, i was surprised to see it go that far to begin with. we dont host any hacked softwares. we dont hack either. yes they may close us one day... but to be honest they did it once and never did it again. if they do it will again be only to proove a point. a point they have allt he rights to make.

there is one thing most software base themselves up for... they dont host the stuff, so they cant be arrested... thats bull****... they should do like youtube does... remove the thing when you find it out. hacking is hacking reguardless of how you do it. hacking is bad... thats all there is to it.

i could agree that many softwares cost way to much for what they are doing...
and thats the only reasons you'd be wanting to hack said softwares...
but for christ sake if you have the chance at getting it original, then do so !
Complete disagree.

Closing down sites, bullying legal businesses, enforcing illegal rules and regulations, not caring what the people have to say, etc is wrong and completely moving backwards not forwards. Can anyone say communist China? Is Piracy a problem? Yes. However, you do not solve a problem this way. You find better solutions.

Karma, will a substantial amount of jobs be saved by closing down MegaUpload? Will a substantial amount of jobs be created by closing down MegaUpload? Will the United States economy substantially benefit from closing down MegaUpload? Will Piracy stop by closing down MegaUpload?

The answer to all those questions is no.

So, my question is why do it? Doing stuff like this only fuels the pirates/hackers/etc. It only makes them more innovative in ways to bypass security, etc. However, it hurts legit businesses and entrepreneurs, and the over-all economy of the U.S.

The internet opened Pandora's box. Now that box is open, nothing can close it.

rewopzmaI
Zpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

so your idea is to let those sites run amok and do nothing against it ?

you mean to say that microsoft backdoor (a network administration software) shouldn't have been removed by microsoft even if that software they created became a well known virus to begin with just because it wasn't there initial idea to begin with ?

same with this website.
they created the website for those wanting to share data, that was their primary goal, but those sites shouldn't even have done so. why ? because it was very evident that the site would then be used to share illegal materials. unless you actually care for whats on your site you shouldn't even start sharing if it is.

looking at a murder taking place and not doing the said murder doesn't still make it right !
Old 01-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
(~_PortaLioN_~)
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
(~_PortaLioN_~) is an unknown quantity at this point(~_PortaLioN_~) is an unknown quantity at this point(~_PortaLioN_~) is an unknown quantity at this point(~_PortaLioN_~) is an unknown quantity at this point(~_PortaLioN_~) is an unknown quantity at this point(~_PortaLioN_~) is an unknown quantity at this point(~_PortaLioN_~) is an unknown quantity at this point
Visit (~_PortaLioN_~)'s YouTube

god megaupload is awesome. i can't believe they would take it down
Old 01-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Xx_paki786_xX

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 2
Xx_paki786_xX has a spectacular aura aboutXx_paki786_xX has a spectacular aura aboutXx_paki786_xX has a spectacular aura aboutXx_paki786_xX has a spectacular aura aboutXx_paki786_xX has a spectacular aura aboutXx_paki786_xX has a spectacular aura aboutXx_paki786_xX has a spectacular aura aboutXx_paki786_xX has a spectacular aura aboutXx_paki786_xX has a spectacular aura aboutXx_paki786_xX has a spectacular aura aboutXx_paki786_xX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJKarma View Post
so your idea is to let those sites run amok and do nothing against it ?

you mean to say that microsoft backdoor (a network administration software) shouldn't have been removed by microsoft even if that software they created became a well known virus to begin with just because it wasn't there initial idea to begin with ?

same with this website.
they created the website for those wanting to share data, that was their primary goal, but those sites shouldn't even have done so. why ? because it was very evident that the site would then be used to share illegal materials. unless you actually care for whats on your site you shouldn't even start sharing if it is.

looking at a murder taking place and not doing the said murder doesn't still make it right !
Do you really think the US goverment care about people sharing hacking programs? The primary so called aim for this act is to reduce priacy and prevent copy right infringement. This bill isn't intended to deal with the problems caused by hackers.

I personally belive the US goverment has only just reliazed how powerful the internet has become and there trying to make path ways to utilize that power and regulate the use of it for the future. There blowing up the situation of pricacy just to cover up the real purpose of what there actual aim is. I see this bill being a cover up for the censorship and regulation of the internet for the future.

To be honest though i do belive that hosts should be held responsible for the content but this isn't the right method of doing it at all. Obviously a compromise of the "safe harbour" law and the SOPA bill needs to happen to prevent priacy from occuring as frequently and effortlessly may I add as it does today. Seriously though are all the people US goverment so stupid that it can't think of better ideas then SOPA?

I feel particulary the movie industry is being hit the hardest by priacy even though I can't be asked to look up the numbers. I know for a fact that i rather download a film for free rather then pay and go to a cinema to watch it unless its a special occasion. So i do feel something should be done but this is far from the answer.

Just a idea I thought of just now without even trying - A company should be held responsible for the content of a user if they havn't removed it after being notified after 14 days. Companies will get there acts toghther and will eventually regulate uploading/Banning ip's of frequent offenders to a point where copy right infrigement is being limited as much as possible.

Or alternatively instead of targetting the host why not just be more strict on the actual uploaders that fall under your jurasdisticion? and send a clear message with heavy fines that priacy will not be tolerated. The main problem with this though is the law isn't even clear... they need to catergorize the things being affected seprately and put fines out for those individual things accordingly. Example seprate fines for copy right infringement of games, music, movies, programs compared to much minor offences such as copying an image or some text from another site which should imo have no consequences.

Copy right infringement will always take place regradeless of what happens and the US goverment need to accept it. Imo there is obviously some hidden agenda and possible a power struggle taking place over the internet, no one actually cares about copy right infringement.

Last edited by Xx_paki786_xX; 01-20-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Xx_paki786_xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #15
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

first, when did i say it was the governemnt idesa of dealing with piracy ? if you read my post correctly, you will se that i say it is up to the site to stop illegal material to begin with, but since they never done it, they deserved what hapenned to them.

the other thing i said was... pirates are pirates, reguardless of how much you want it to stop reguardless of how much contorl you think you have... you have none, the only thing you can do is the same we staff do here against perpetrators, we go for the users. we could ban the domain, but no we ban a single user IP. the governemnt here have more ways then us in doing so... why go for the user when you can go for the place where he takes his stuff.

simple logic, by shutting down megaupload, they just shutted down thousands of hackers who will now be forced to find another place. you guys say its not worth it, then wat is ? going after each select users one after the others... thats gonna take thousand lifetime to achieve that.

when limewire got shut down, what hapenned ? users seeked another place to get musics or videos.
when kazaa did, the same hapenned and it took a good month or so for another site to come back.
now torrents are crowded with viruses (which i suspect companies to actually put on the net on purpose)
there is no more file sharing program that actually work right.
and websites are really scarce now...

the facts speaks for themselves... this way of stopping piracy works more then you actually think.
i just think you are mad because you lost one way to share images and the likes or whatever you wanted, or you are just mad cause you just lost your free interest which is something you even said yourself.

i'll admit this much, i do piracy too, musics, videos, you name it...
but there is one thing i'm strict on... if you like something enough, ****ING BUY IT !
and i've been doing just that, going to the theaters, buying DVDs, games...

whats im against are those who simply want everything for free...
what do you think we are communist ?