SFO : Street Fighter Online

Go Back   SFO : Street Fighter Online > Street Fighter Online > New Features

SFO : Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does buffering commands make the game lag?(question for SSJkarma and others who know how SFO works) #1sakurafan Members Help Center 7 12-19-2011 08:21 PM
New type of an Engine. Tiesto_X RaNdOm iNsAnItY 3 04-16-2010 06:53 PM
make real game (X-A)holyryu RaNdOm iNsAnItY 3 08-26-2009 05:22 PM
Inside an Engine SolidSnake76 Links 1 02-02-2008 02:01 PM
A no emissions engine SolidSnake76 General 6 11-12-2006 10:46 AM

Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
ckcolink

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 0
ckcolink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Make the game with new engine and hd sprites

The game should use a new plugin like unreal or unity 3d. No one minds downloading you know. Also make the game playable in up to 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080) please
ckcolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
shad0wslayer
VIP

Tournaments Joined: 1
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1303
shad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Make the game with new engine and hd sprites

There is SFX... SFO is going to be the way it is for a long time.

Achievements
Voted Best Chun li User
Rookie of the Year Runner Up
Voted 3rd Most Helpful Ambassador
Voted Most Active Forum User
3rd place Wolverine Tournament Champion
3rd place SDC tourney Champiop
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumFist View Post
Bahki is love; Bahki is life
shad0wslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 170
donkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura about

LOL

--------------------------------------------------------

donkios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 776
TitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcolink View Post
The game should use a new plugin like unreal or unity 3d. No one minds downloading you know. Also make the game playable in up to 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080) please
Hello.

Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, the short answer is no.

This is a free-browser based game (but is downloadable), that is coded by one man, and never intended to turn a profit.

Trying to take that model and expand it into hi-res game for the Unity or Unreal engine is practically impossible.

Should you so feel inclined to create an SFO for the Unity or Unreal engine, find capable programmers, and the capital to spend on licensing and employing your staff, I sincerely wish you the best of luck with that endeavor.

Click Here to Vote for the Storm Dream Goal.
TitaniumFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
shad0wslayer
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
shad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the roughshad0wslayer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkios View Post
LOL
Man i was dying when i read this but i saw it was his 1st post and i didn't want to be a asshole about it. I don't really see the need for HD unless your one of those ppl that play full screen.

:
Quote:

Should you so feel inclined to create an SFO for the Unity or Unreal engine, find capable programmers, and the capital to spend on licensing and employing your staff, I sincerely wish you the best of luck with that endeavor.
Idk why but when i read that it seemed like OD sarcasm. But your a Mr. GrumpyPants so i read figure it wasnt.

Achievements
Voted Best Chun li User
Quote:

Last edited by shad0wslayer; 12-27-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 776
TitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really niceTitaniumFist is just really nice

Shad0w, what I am is besides the point, but I am more than one thing, and the opposite of being sarcastic isn't being grumpy.

Now, the topic has been answered. Unless there's something relevant to add, this all winds up as spam.

Topic will be locked later, but I'd like to leave it open if ckcolink has questions.

Click Here to Vote for the Storm Dream Goal.
TitaniumFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Orlando0

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 45
Orlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the roughOrlando0 is a jewel in the rough
Visit Orlando0's YouTube

I should take advantage of this moment now to state that HD sprites aren't easy to do. Not even Capcom has done proper HD sprites for the characters in this game(Unless you want to count SSF2HDR).

So basically, if you want new sprites (HD or cool looking custom ones) you better do them yourself.

Send me a PM if you decide to add me on PSN, so I don't mistake you for a random Friend seeker.
Want to know what is the music played in SFO?
Orlando0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

A new engine isn't as easy as you may think it is...
the engines creator, TMyApp probably took about a year to create the first draft of the engine and by first draft i mean only 1 charcaer, no AI, no slides availlable, nothing except fighting engine and network coding. so no... creating a new engine would require about 1-2 years of full time coding and thats something the creator right now do not have time to do.

HD sprites...
let me check how its done...
you'r easking sprites to be recreated from scratch in order to make much more detailed and much more animated. the reality is, no engines have been able to make HD sprites off the original ones, you need to redo the whole sprite sheets from scratch. something that only capcom can do.

now we could make the sprites double sized, but would that make them HD... the answer is no... it will only make them more foggy.

all in all, i would want to see a beter engine, or simply a remake of the engine....
but that wont happen unless the engine creator feels like doing so, and i doubt he will.
SSJKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
shad0wslayer
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

>.> what would happen if they were 50% small. That would condense the pixels wouldn't it o.0

Achievements
Voted Best Chun li User
Quote:
Old 12-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
LuXv

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 765
LuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really niceLuXv is just really nice
Visit LuXv's Twitter

*HOLDS BACK RANT*

Nah I dont believe so.

Last edited by LuXv; 12-27-2012 at 08:20 PM.
LuXv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Sir Nash

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 131
Sir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJKarma View Post
A new engine isn't as easy as you may think it is...
the engines creator, TMyApp probably took about a year to create the first draft of the engine and by first draft i mean only 1 charcaer, no AI, no slides availlable, nothing except fighting engine and network coding. so no... creating a new engine would require about 1-2 years of full time coding and thats something the creator right now do not have time to do.

HD sprites...
let me check how its done...
you'r easking sprites to be recreated from scratch in order to make much more detailed and much more animated. the reality is, no engines have been able to make HD sprites off the original ones, you need to redo the whole sprite sheets from scratch. something that only capcom can do.

now we could make the sprites double sized, but would that make them HD... the answer is no... it will only make them more foggy.

all in all, i would want to see a beter engine, or simply a remake of the engine....
but that wont happen unless the engine creator feels like doing so, and i doubt he will.
Actually bro SSJKarma, i am 99% certain it took TMyApp just a few months to create the first working and playable version of project X (Xmen vs SF) thanks to the engine he used Director

definitely doesn't take 1 year to create a basic working version of SFO, especially in the Director engine
Sir Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
(-SpideyKing-)

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 359
(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nash View Post
Actually bro SSJKarma, i am 99% certain it took TMyApp just a few months to create the first working and playable version of project X (Xmen vs SF) thanks to the engine he used Director

definitely doesn't take 1 year to create a basic working version of SFO, especially in the Director engine
Quite true... That's of course if he was putting a good amount of his time into the game in those months.

WWT3 1st Place Champion
(-SpideyKing-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #13
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

took him a full year actually... why ? because he doesn't use the timeline at all.. its all in lingo !
its not like he could create things and all... wanna try it yourself ?
i did try to create just a video webseries in lingo and i must say... its quite harder then you think it is.

Director was far from being the best tool for this.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
shad0wslayer
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

and i go answered yet again

Achievements
Voted Best Chun li User
Quote:
Old 12-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
frognap

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 0
frognap is an unknown quantity at this pointfrognap is an unknown quantity at this point

everything is done in lingo...
now that is actuall programing, nice !
Old 12-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
Sir Nash

Post Thanks / Like
Sir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the roughSir Nash is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
took him a full year actually... why ? because he doesn't use the timeline at all.. its all in lingo !
its not like he could create things and all... wanna try it yourself ?
i did try to create just a video webseries in lingo and i must say... its quite harder then you think it is.

Director was far from being the best tool for this.
bro SSJKarma, not sure what you mean by timeline, but that has nothing to do with anything. What language you code or create something in will also determine how fast you finish.

Example: to create a simple animation in Java requires 5 times the amount of work and coding as opposed to doing it in Lingo/Director.

Perhaps it did take him 1 year, but the fact that SFO was/is possible is because of Director. SFO in Java, C++, etc is too much work for 1 person. In Director or Flash, you can manage...
Old 12-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #17
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I program in VB.net nash, and i could create an engine similar to this with it and it will be a lot faster done then in lingo. the reason would be... i dont know lingo so it would take me time. as a programmer i can tell you, unless you program in ASM which is basically "the" hardest programming language. anything else is just a matter of knowing it or not. and considering TMyApp probably used this engine creation as a way to learn the language... im guessing this little week-end project as he said took him way more then a week-end.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #18
HotTopic
Advanced Member

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 164
HotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura aboutHotTopic has a spectacular aura about

uhmm... On Topic... Lingo sucks... no decent game has been coded with it since around 2005... how many of you have actually coded anything successfully

what's the point of this convo >.>

CLOSED for extreme amount of creepiness.
HotTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #19
(-Kam-)

Post Thanks / Like
(-Kam-) is just really nice(-Kam-) is just really nice(-Kam-) is just really nice(-Kam-) is just really nice(-Kam-) is just really nice(-Kam-) is just really nice(-Kam-) is just really nice(-Kam-) is just really nice(-Kam-) is just really nice(-Kam-) is just really nice(-Kam-) is just really nice
Visit (-Kam-)'s Facebook Visit (-Kam-)'s Twitter Visit (-Kam-)'s YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTopic View Post
uhmm... On Topic... Lingo sucks... no decent game has been coded with it since around 2005... how many of you have actually coded anything successfully

what's the point of this convo >.>

me

@SFO2k14|SFO FB|SFO Clans|@SFOSTAFF|SFO Goals

(-Kam-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #20
Sir Nash

Post Thanks / Like

bro SSJKarma: hmm i see, but remember saying and doing are two very different things, also a simple engine and a full functioning multiplayer online game is different

and Lingo is very, very easy, one of the easiest if not easiest languages out there, which was Macromedia (now Adobe)'s intent.

HotTopic: no, no language sucks, it's the "programmer" that sucks. Sure certain languages are better than others, but none of them sucks. If you are skilled and know what you are doing, you can create a master piece in any language; i.e: SFO. It's incredible how TMyApp pulled this off in Lingo.

but you are correct, not many people use or even know about Lingo

I have a proposal for any programmers in this community: what do you all say we collaborate and see what we can come up with?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
(-SpideyKing-)

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 359
(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough(-SpideyKing-) is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nash View Post
bro SSJKarma: hmm i see, but remember saying and doing are two very different things, also a simple engine and a full functioning multiplayer online game is different

and Lingo is very, very easy, one of the easiest if not easiest languages out there, which was Macromedia (now Adobe)'s intent.

HotTopic: no, no language sucks, it's the "programmer" that sucks. Sure certain languages are better than others, but none of them sucks. If you are skilled and know what you are doing, you can create a master piece in any language; i.e: SFO. It's incredible how TMyApp pulled this off in Lingo.

but you are correct, not many people use or even know about Lingo

I have a proposal for any programmers in this community: what do you all say we collaborate and see what we can come up with?
Lingo does kinda suck lol. I mean, it is amazing how TMyApp pulled off SFO with Lingo, but I'm sure if it was done in another programming language, the outcome would have been better, or at least allow him to do other things that are not so easily done with Lingo. I guess it doesn't suck, its just kinda outdated. I don't really like it myself lol.

Your proposal would be cool, if I had the time to actually produce something. Would be nice if a couple of "programmers" from here collaborated and produced something interesting. *Hint Hint*

WWT3 1st Place Champion
(-SpideyKing-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Let me be clear, if a language is sub par with another, then thatlanguage sucks !
exemple, i program in VB.net, i could create such an engine and i actually did... that engine wouldn'T be great for online play nor even for single player play, why because vb.net isn't made for gaming. it can but its sub par to C++ for such a thing...

as for lingo not made for this engine...
seriously guys ?
shockwave is the predecessor of Flash and both were made for the sole purpose of creating online games !
its no wonder tmyapp chose lingo (shockwave) to create this game.
the problem of why this programming language sucks, is because 8.5 was the last made by macromedia, anything higher then that was from adobe, which already owned flash and didn't want shockwave to go further. since the market did ask for shockwave they continued all the way up to 11.5... but 8.5 was the only one enabling Tunneling, you know.. peer to peer connection ? computer to computer... meaning that once connected you dont use the server at all. the server becomes the hosters computer. anything above 8.5 have a need for dedicated servers and that would only add more lag to a game that has much already.

the problem with flash and shockwave if i may say...
is the actual machine requirement. the more complex the game, the more machine you will need to play it correctly. hence why a simple game as SFO requires a big machine to play on.

all those problems you wouldn't have on C++ or any "Machine Oriented" language as we call them.

and by the way...
lingo is called a scripting language, thats a hell of a lot different then a real programming language.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #23
Sir Nash

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Let me be clear, if a language is sub par with another, then thatlanguage sucks !
exemple, i program in VB.net, i could create such an engine and i actually did... that engine wouldn'T be great for online play nor even for single player play, why because vb.net isn't made for gaming. it can but its sub par to C++ for such a thing...

as for lingo not made for this engine...
seriously guys ?
shockwave is the predecessor of Flash and both were made for the sole purpose of creating online games !
its no wonder tmyapp chose lingo (shockwave) to create this game.
the problem of why this programming language sucks, is because 8.5 was the last made by macromedia, anything higher then that was from adobe, which already owned flash and didn't want shockwave to go further. since the market did ask for shockwave they continued all the way up to 11.5... but 8.5 was the only one enabling Tunneling, you know.. peer to peer connection ? computer to computer... meaning that once connected you dont use the server at all. the server becomes the hosters computer. anything above 8.5 have a need for dedicated servers and that would only add more lag to a game that has much already.

the problem with flash and shockwave if i may say...
is the actual machine requirement. the more complex the game, the more machine you will need to play it correctly. hence why a simple game as SFO requires a big machine to play on.

all those problems you wouldn't have on C++ or any "Machine Oriented" language as we call them.

and by the way...
lingo is called a scripting language, thats a hell of a lot different then a real programming language.
bro SSJKarma, yes... i am aware, and therefore pointed out that SFO exists only because of Lingo/Director. Besides who had time back in 2K1 to download a 250 MB game created in Java, C, etc on dial up? hahaha. So this among many other reasons is why Director was the perfect choice

speaking of Director 11.5, i own it

and dedicated servers wouldn't make the game "more" laggy, almost all major games are on dedicated servers. Dedicated servers in the realm of SFO would just make TMyApp's SFO bills higher

Spidey: i concur, lingo doesn't "suck", but rather outdated in this era of game development. But it does what is needed of it compared to others, as bro SSJKarma mentioned, you can't make SFO in VB, but in Director/Flash, you can.

I love lingo... 1 line of code gets the job done, while in C++, you may need 10 lines.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 170
donkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura about

bro ssjkarma.

--------------------------------------------------------

donkios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #25
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

server gaming versus peer to peer gaming...

peer to peer or computer to computer...
my data is sent to your computer, then it comes back to mine.
basic come and go.

server gaming...
data goes from my computer, to the server, to your computer. then goes back from your computer to the server to my computer again... more lags... definitely has the data has twice the travel to do.

why are mmos using that then ? because they use one things to manage the lag...
Latency... which is a given delay for the data to come and go before the game updates itself. this when lagging much is seen by sluggish key responses. aka the action doesn'T seem to be done instantly. the more lag, the more the latency gets higher to compensate.

are server generating much more lag ? yes, because they generate as much as 5 times the regular data a peer to peer game would. because the server analyses everything.

wanna understand this better...
check the server chats here, which are the only thing that isn't peer to peer... many times our servers lags. while in-game you dont. is it your fault, no... its server lags.

basically peer to peer is 100% times better then servers if you want lagless gaming...
unfortunately, the only way for MMOs to work, is thru servers... because no single computers would be able to withstand such pressures of keeping a whole world with thousands of characters. this can also be seen through the use of "private" mmo servers. which can barely support 25 people.