SFO : Street Fighter Online

Go Back   SFO : Street Fighter Online > NON-SFO Related > General

SFO : Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Liger Killer General 10 12-17-2009 05:32 PM
Liger Zero TitaniumFist General 17 12-11-2007 03:43 PM
Another Liger Quote Wolfeh RaNdOm iNsAnItY 8 07-07-2007 11:49 PM
Liger zero vs well anyone =d Liger Zero Challenges and Tournaments 5 03-08-2007 06:26 PM
Liger zero Wolfeh General 30 08-11-2006 04:16 AM

Old 04-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Liger Zero
Outstanding Patriot

Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 6415
Liger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really nice
Default Let's Talk Movies With Liger Zero

How are yall doing I decided I would start a topic where I just review and or talk about movies. Ill even post a lot of movie facts you guys probably dont know about. Feel free to join in the conversation with talking about movies

To get things started Ill start off by talking about a little movie called Blue Thunder. It was a helicopter movie that starred Roy Scheider from Jaws. It also has a very young Daniel Stern as his partner and Malcolm Mcdowell as the villain.

To sum up the story its about Roy Scheider who plays a police helicopter pilot named Murphy who use to be a pilot in the millitary. He gets to oversee the use of a new test helicopter called Blue Thunder. After seeing its test run with some horrifying results he sees the pilot is Malcolm McDowell a person he served with in the war. Murphy gets into a lot of hairy situations doing test runs with Malcolm McDowells character and finally gets to test Blue Thunder for himself.

On the test run he over hears a plot about murder using Blue Thunders spy equipment. He is quickly discovered and flys back to base. Daniel Stern recovers the tape he recorded with and hides it. The bad guys pay a visit to Daniel Sterns character and the movie takes off from here. I wont give anything else away because it will spoil the movie for anyone who hasnt seen it.

I would say this movie is a 6/10. It hasnt aged that well but the story telling is rather good and Roy Scheider plays a good character in this film. This is also one of the best helicopter movies ive ever seen if there are many more out there.

The score was also pretty catchy like a video game theme song. It was composed by Arthur B Rubinstein.

Last edited by Liger Zero; 04-18-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Liger Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #2
bloodpack
Super Advanced Member

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 37
bloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nice
Default Re: Let's Talk Movies With Liger Zero

id say hollywood now is lacking its creative juices with most of the films shown are adaptations from a game, novel or comic book or based from real life events/biography

whatever happened to original screenplays?
bloodpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
ItachiForever

Tournaments Joined: 1
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 336
ItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the rough
Visit ItachiForever's YouTube
Thumbs up Re: Let's Talk Movies With Liger Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodpack View Post
id say hollywood now is lacking its creative juices with most of the films shown are adaptations from a game, novel or comic book or based from real life events/biography

whatever happened to original screenplays?
I think that those types of movies are the best when done right. The technology of this era is defining most of the movies now. Though there are some original screen play movies that are just as good when done right. Like Quentin Tarantino Django Unchained(*looks at you watch the movie D: ).

Here is a trailer >.>

Last edited by ItachiForever; 04-19-2013 at 09:05 AM.
ItachiForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Liger Zero
Outstanding Patriot

Post Thanks / Like
Liger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really niceLiger Zero is just really nice

Well original films become more rare because they would rather cash cow in a single idea or franchise till it stops making money. Several studios make it obvious like fox and certain movie franchises like X-Men, Aliens, and Predator as just few examples. Original movies do happen though.

Tarrantino though original uses most of his ideas/inspiration from old kung fu/hong kong films. Kill Bill was the greatest example as just about everything in it was inspired by old Hong Kong films. Its not to say he didnt take other ideas and mold them around his own original ideas.

James Cameron would be another one though Titanic was a huge mess. I dislike movies with fake characters in a fake love story surounded by real events. Pearl Harbor by Michael Bay would also do this and they even get some of the events of teh attack wrong in it. With Titanic I felt it should have been about the engineers and electricians that fought to keep the Titanic floating longer than it did to get more people on the life boats.

I also dont mind the taking of ideas and molding around an original idea.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

Face it bloodpack, original ideas are totally impossible.
everything we make is inspired by something else. even what you'd call an original idea was probably thought somewhere by somebody else. the wheel as been invented along time ago... its totally impossible to reinvent it. but there are still ways to improove on it. thats what my friend and i think about. and thats why we're not caring anymore.

we know there are two types of movies made by todays standards. just like everything else... there are those burgers. good burgers happens mind you. after all, a burger once in a while is good.but what we want is real food. good food was to me... Inception, Avatar, Real Steel to name a few. there are great ones. and then there is the burgers.. Saw, Fast & Furious and the likes.

and i must say that seeing it like this, it makes movies a great thing to see even by todays standard.

Back to the original topic, which you totally blew off as if he hadn't spoke at all.
I haven't seen copter movies ever since AirWolf the tv show. i liked that show !
Blue Thunder huh, one more to add to my list of must watch movie.
SSJKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Liger Zero
Outstanding Patriot

Post Thanks / Like

So I watched Reign Of Fire last night which is a good dragon movie. In fact I cant even think of many good dragon movies. Dragon Heart, Dragon Slayer, and.....ummmmm. Yea I got nothing else.

Pretty much Reign Of Fire is Matthew McConau****s only good movie. He really played his part very well in this movie and I think he should try to find more serious action type roles like this. Maybe like a western or something cause he can play a badass character when he wants to. I really felt he stole the show in the whole movie. Christian Bale was good dont get me wrong but it becomes so much more better when McConau**** comes into the film.

Also Skinny Gerrard Butler is funny.

Edit - Why on earth is his name censored????....I mean I know he isnt a good actor outside of this film but dang.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 776
TitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of light

It's a great movie, and I dunno why his name's censored. I'd have to look at the filter.

M.M.'s only good movie? Come on. A Time To Kill? Good movie. Lincoln Lawyer is supposed to be good, haven't seen it. Ebert liked it and more often than not, I trusted his judgment, and liked his writing. RIP Mr. Ebert

The world, story and action in the flick was great.

About the performances, if you notice anything about Bale, some of his best work is when he doesn't have to be the strongest actor in the room. He's one of those actors that doesn't mind giving the understated performance while his co-star(s) wow the audience. (Ledger/Joker is an example. See Terminator 4 as an example where he was left...kind of carrying a poor plot alone, thanks to no real help from Worthington. Though, Sam's grown on me as a decent actor, and good action star.)

Crazy sidenote: I once made a 'short film' out of ROF, Die Another Day, and Daredevil. Yeah. Those three.

Plot was Bond's parents were killed by the dragons, then he grows up, becomes bond, and is sent on a mission, dragons attack, Bond dies, Bullseye kills the last dragon. Don't ask what I was on when I thought all three went together - I'm not really sure.

It made me/my friends laugh, and that was enough.

I'm off-topic.

Reign Of Fire was great.

Click Here to Vote for the Storm Dream Goal.
TitaniumFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

Reign of fire, didn'T count me as a good dragon movie, cause it really felt bland. the story had a great going at first, but a cataclysm like that solved by a bunch of rag tag group at that end is just not cutting it. i mean if the solution was tthat easy even the hero would of done it since the beginning, and if you go as far as telling me that he was scared... I too would be scared by the dragons flames, but then again why is he standing in front of that same dragon at the end. seriously... Reign of fire isn't th ebest dragon movie to me. i think Dragonheart still is the best dragon movie. though there isn't much dragon movies that are good. reign of fire must come second, because i dont really know more. dragonheart 2 sucked, and dungeon and dragons shouldn't even be considered as such.

Christian Bale rocks in pretty much all of his movies... but unfortunately, the scripts of such movies doesn't really make him look good. often we say its the actors fault, but it is very very rarely theirs. they played the part as written after all. but there are some that really portrays badly, like jenbnifer connely in hulk. she seemed like she was on drug the whole movie, stoned and no emotions.

my turn to show a gem made by fans...
Battle of the Batmans
In gotham city, there can only be one of them... theres 3 too much !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSkSDNl1w4E
Old 04-21-2013, 12:19 AM   #9
ItachiForever

Tournaments Joined: 1
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 336
ItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the roughItachiForever is a jewel in the rough
Visit ItachiForever's YouTube
Thumbs up Re: Let's Talk Movies With Liger Zero

Quote:
but there are some that really portrays badly, like jenbnifer connely in hulk. she seemed like she was on drug the whole movie, stoned and no emotions.
Lmao True.

That video of Battle of the Batmans were bad ass.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
Liger Zero
Outstanding Patriot

Post Thanks / Like

My vote still goes to Keaton as the best Batman. Not saying the others are terrible but Keaton really captured batman for me.

Also there were quite a few Dragon movies out there but most of them are aweful.

Dragon Wars was terrible.
Dungeons and Dragons.....Lets not even speak of that.
Dungeons and Dragons 2......yea they did a sequel.
Dragon Heart 2....they left no room for a sequel and yet pulled the story out their ass.
DragonSlayer wasnt a bad movie. It does get boring in some parts.
Dragon Heart was a good movie though had its issues.
Reign of Fire i still say was a good movie.

SPOILERS
The reason the main character didnt go kill the main dragon was because he was afraid of it and because he didnt know that it was the only male (alpha male) dragon. Van Zan tells him around the middle part of the movie before he takes most of the people with him to fight the dragon. At the end the reason he wasnt afraid anymore was because he watched his best friend die by being burned alive. He used that anger to confront his demons so to speak.

Last edited by Liger Zero; 04-21-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like
TitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJKarma View Post
Christian Bale rocks in pretty much all of his movies... but unfortunately, the scripts of such movies doesn't really make him look good. often we say its the actors fault, but it is very very rarely theirs. they played the part as written after all.
So, you mean if Bale's ever in a bad movie, it's never his fault. Lol.

Quote:
but there are some that really portrays badly, like jenbnifer connely in hulk. she seemed like she was on drug the whole movie, stoned and no emotions.
See. With anyone but Bale, it's totally their fault. *cough*

Joking aside, in real life she's a lively goofball. Yet she always plays these nearly catatonic dudettes, who are usually attached to dudes with serious issues - like turning into raging hulks.

Would be interesting to see her in lighter films. If she's done any, then I just didn't follow.

Quote:
my turn to show a gem made by fans...
Battle of the Batmans
In gotham city, there can only be one of them... theres 3 too much !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSkSDNl1w4E
That was fun. It comes off as a trailer more than a short film. As a trailer, it's great. Clean editing.

As a short film, I think I kind of wanted more story/plot, though. Why are they all fighting each other? Doesn't matter I suppose, who doesn't want to see all of them face off?

Used to make these kinds of mashups. Before there was YouTube, and before most of us had access to the digital software to do editing.

We're talking using two VCRs and VHS. Later switched to digital editing, making trailers, and when I got here, SFO vids. Haven't done much editing now - writing took its place. (I really wish I still had my Spiderman vs Hulk short. HDD died, didn't have it backed up.)

With Liger on Batmans, though. Keaton > Bale.

Recently rewatched the following films:

District 9
Winter's Bone

9 just got better with another viewing, but WB didn't impact me as much the second time around. Both are worth checking out if you've never seen them.

District 9 is what I'd call a great science fiction film. It was also just one helluva ride. Without Copley's performance, the film doesn't work, though. (The writer/director as well as Copley will turn up again with Matt Damon in Elysium which you can find on YouTube.)

Winter's Bone may well bore the crap out of most people, but it was interesting as a bit of a noir, set in the Ozarks. I saw this before Lawrence was a huge star, so I'm not sure how that will color your perception.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
Liger Zero
Outstanding Patriot

Post Thanks / Like

Im sorry but Terminator 4 wasnt that good a movie. I blame a large part to writing and I also blame the acting. Bale didnt cut it for me as John Conner. I even thought Nick Stahl did a better job than Bale and Stahl wasnt that good at all. Granted Edward Furlong was a kid and hasnt aged well to play the part these days as an older John Conner.

Bale being not strong enough to take the role of John Conner was the reason I think Sam Worthington took over the movie. It felt like any of John Conners parts in the movie were dragged and also seemed like they were cut short. It could have been due to Bales rage enduced rant at the lighting guy but who knows.

Anton Yeltchon did a pretty good job as Kyle Reese. Still no one will ever be as good as Michael Biehn in that role.

Michael Biehn to me is a very very underated actor. He does play different millitary type characters that you would think would mesh together yet when he plays them you see them as very different characters. In Terminator he was Reese, in Aliens he was Hicks, in The Abyss he was Coffee, and in The Rock he was barely in it. He also did Navy Seals that Charlie Sheen gets first billing for and isnt in the movie much and Beihn nailed that role too. He is a very good character actor and I think deserves to be in larger films.

I got another good movie for yous guys. The Omega Man with Charlton Heston. I felt it was better than the remake I Am Legend and slightly better than The Last Man On Earth before it. It stars Charlton Heston as Robert Neville and if you have seen I Am Legend you kinda get the whole story with him thinking he is the last man on earth.

The difference as to why I prefer this version is because in The Omega Man the infected are highly inteligent like in the book. They swore off modern technology as they blame it for destroying the world. Neville represents everything they swore off and he hunts them down every day durring the day time. At some point Neville realises he isnt the only one alive on earth and not infected and finds a group of survivors that he now must find a cure for that he invented before in the past.

I also think the music really makes the tension in some scenes in the film. It does have a 70's style score but its awesome.

Edit - has anyone noticed the actors who play John Connor are adicted to get addicted to Meth? Edward Furlong became and addict and then Nick Stahl was already an addict but got worse after. I wonder about Bale now I mean he did get dangerously skinny for a role at one point.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #13
bloodpack
Super Advanced Member

Post Thanks / Like
bloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nicebloodpack is just really nice

Quote:
Back to the original topic, which you totally blew off as if he hadn't spoke at all.
bah...i aint blewin nothin'
the thread is all about "movies"
i was generally talking about the climate of the hollywood movie industry...

with regards to christian bale, i have no doubt about his acting capability ever since his breakout performance in Empire of the Sun

in fact, bale is so dedicated in his work that he even yelled at some production staff (shane hurlbut) that distracted his concentration while filming Terminator Salvation

i also enjoyed matt mcconau****'s performance in Reign of Fire
guy's a total badass, i wish hed do more badass roles

Reign of Fire had a good premise, but i think it needed more depth and more characterization for each individuals

Dragon Heart was a good family movie, if they ever do a remake, id wish it to be more darker, lolz

and speaking of good dragon movies, anyone seen Neverending Story?
i had an LSS about the movie's theme song
Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #14
Liger Zero
Outstanding Patriot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodpack View Post
bah...i aint blewin nothin'
the thread is all about "movies"
i was generally talking about the climate of the hollywood movie industry...

with regards to christian bale, i have no doubt about his acting capability ever since his breakout performance in Empire of the Sun

in fact, bale is so dedicated in his work that he even yelled at some production staff (shane hurlbut) that distracted his concentration while filming Terminator Salvation

i also enjoyed matt mcconau****'s performance in Reign of Fire
guy's a total badass, i wish hed do more badass roles

Reign of Fire had a good premise, but i think it needed more depth and more characterization for each individuals

Dragon Heart was a good family movie, if they ever do a remake, id wish it to be more darker, lolz

and speaking of good dragon movies, anyone seen Neverending Story?
i had an LSS about the movie's theme song
Would he even be considered a Dragon though? he looks like a flying teddy bear with bug eyes.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:00 AM   #15
Liger Zero
Outstanding Patriot

Post Thanks / Like

Lets now talk about good Three Musketeers adaptions.

The Four Musketeers 1974 - It had Charlton Heston as the Cardinal and Christopher Lee as Rochefort what more do you need?

The Three Musketeers 1993 - It Wasnt really a very accurate adaption but for some reason its still a good movie. It Stars Keifer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, Oliver Platt, Chris O'Donell, Rebecca D'mornay, and Tim Curry as The Cardinal. I left out Michael Wincott cause I want to talk about how very freakin accurately he protrayed Rochefort. He was scary awesome in this movie and obviously not only does he know how to fence but he appears to have studied the Errol Flynn way to fence.

The Man In The Iron Mask - This is set way after the musketeers have gotten old. It Stars Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, Gabriel Burns, Gerard Depardeau, and Leonardo Dicaprio. This film was surprisingly good. I felt the older actors protrayed the musketeers well in this film being much older and what not. I think John Malkovich stole the show as Athos though.

The Three Musketeers 1973 - The Original is still very good though very dated it still holds up in terms of classic films though.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

TFist: again you deformed what i said... i said its very very rarely the actors fault, didn't say it never hapenned and even gone as far as prooving that it can happen.

its awefull how certain actors are considered so good that even when they screw up people goes as far as saying its a great movie just cause they are in it. in this case... i loved pretty much all movies bale was in... shaft, he was a great badguy, prestige, he was a great magician and it was awesomely played. i loved his role in terminator, he played a logical john connor compared to the other kids. i loved Batman i think he played a great bruce wayne.

overall the reasons i didn't really enjoyed the movies in which he was there, was mostly not because of him. the batman movies started great but have gone to hell with the third movie. second had not enough time on two face, making it seem like the spiderman three from sam raimi. the actors who all portrayed batman over the years were kinda great in their bruce wayne... if you ask me about their batman though im gonna say... yeah, you're gonna say chewy and the guy in R2D2 were great actors ? seriously ?!! when it comes to actors in the costume even if they are in it. its hard to tell if they acted right or not. i liked the batman in begins. i think he was great only draw back was his voice changing... but again thats not the actor who did that. its the director who asked him to do that. so again is it his fault ? nope !

The three musketeer, my fav ever still remains the disney 1993 one. i think it was well made, it was well played thru. reguardless of how many problems they had during movie making. it ended up being the best three musketeer movie. the iron mask i count as the direct sequel. when i see the movie, i just go for the ironmask right after it.

athos taking the show... well... he did that in both movie. somehow the story is mainly cause of him. but i must say i love the 1993 one better cause they all have something to do and show the characters are well developped. truly great one.

haven't seen the 2011 one, not wanting to either.
haven't seen the original one either. thats one to put on my want to watch list.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liger Zero View Post
Im sorry but Terminator 4 wasnt that good a movie. I blame a large part to writing and I also blame the acting. Bale didnt cut it for me as John Conner. I even thought Nick Stahl did a better job than Bale and Stahl wasnt that good at all. Granted Edward Furlong was a kid and hasnt aged well to play the part these days as an older John Conner.
Wait, someone said T4 was a good movie?

Quote:
I got another good movie for yous guys. The Omega Man with Charlton Heston. I felt it was better than the remake I Am Legend and slightly better than The Last Man On Earth before it. It stars Charlton Heston as Robert Neville and if you have seen I Am Legend you kinda get the whole story with him thinking he is the last man on earth.

The difference as to why I prefer this version is because in The Omega Man the infected are highly inteligent like in the book. They swore off modern technology as they blame it for destroying the world. Neville represents everything they swore off and he hunts them down every day durring the day time. At some point Neville realises he isnt the only one alive on earth and not infected and finds a group of survivors that he now must find a cure for that he invented before in the past.

I also think the music really makes the tension in some scenes in the film. It does have a 70's style score but its awesome.
Haven't seen it or the first adaptation in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liger Zero View Post
Lets now talk about good Three Musketeers adaptions.

The Four Musketeers 1974 - It had Charlton Heston as the Cardinal and Christopher Lee as Rochefort what more do you need?

The Three Musketeers 1993 - It Wasnt really a very accurate adaption but for some reason its still a good movie. It Stars Keifer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, Oliver Platt, Chris O'Donell, Rebecca D'mornay, and Tim Curry as The Cardinal. I left out Michael Wincott cause I want to talk about how very freakin accurately he protrayed Rochefort. He was scary awesome in this movie and obviously not only does he know how to fence but he appears to have studied the Errol Flynn way to fence.

The Man In The Iron Mask - This is set way after the musketeers have gotten old. It Stars Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, Gabriel Burns, Gerard Depardeau, and Leonardo Dicaprio. This film was surprisingly good. I felt the older actors protrayed the musketeers well in this film being much older and what not. I think John Malkovich stole the show as Athos though.

The Three Musketeers 1973 - The Original is still very good though very dated it still holds up in terms of classic films though.
You missed the 1948 version with Gene Kelly. Or am I the only one who likes that one?

Quote:
TFist: again you deformed what i said... i said its very very rarely the actors fault, didn't say it never hapenned and even gone as far as prooving that it can happen.
You missed the part where I was messing with you for being a Bale fan. Lol. I fully understood what you were saying - I just wanted to poke the fact that you are a Bale fanboy. S'okay. I've got my favorite actors, too.

Quote:
its awefull how certain actors are considered so good that even when they screw up people goes as far as saying its a great movie just cause they are in it. in this case... i loved pretty much all movies bale was in... shaft, he was a great badguy, prestige, he was a great magician and it was awesomely played. i loved his role in terminator, he played a logical john connor compared to the other kids. i loved Batman i think he played a great bruce wayne.
This is exactly what I was getting at with my other post. I will watch anything Denzel makes, but that doesn't make it a good movie. It's just never his fault.

But Bale still does his best work when he's understated. At least, I like the films where he's playing understated roles/has a good co-star best. (3:10 to Yuma as an example. His second Batman film as another.)

You know if I wanted to debate you, we'd derail this entire thread...and I'd win.

But I don't want to, was just pointing it out/messing with you.

Last edited by TitaniumFist; 04-22-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
Liger Zero
Outstanding Patriot

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I coulnt like the 1948 version Tfist

Also the 2011 version changed the musketeers into assassins and somehow melady dewinter is now a good guy and she does matrix moves and fights along side the musketeers and there were air ships and no one could play their parts well and everything was always in slow motion to the point where you can tell they arnt really punching eachother......screw explaining it. Its an aweful aweful movie and should be forgotten like it was when its trailer came out.

Lets talk some film remakes/reboots/reboot prequels that have pissed me off over the years.

Conan The Barbarian - Arnold is Conan and always will be. Until you can get an actor with is large size and acting ability. Not saying Arnold has a great acting ability but still. Jason Mamoa really didnt play the part too well though not saying he was bad. The story was all over the place and every single thing was CGI'd to hell. The blood of all things was CGI and you could tell when it splattered on him and he had no reaction to it. Ron Perlman had a good role in it though. IT was an aweful remake and the reason they realised their mistake and are making The Legend Of Conan with Arnold returning as King Conan.

The Thing 2011 - Do I really need to explain anything?....We saw what happened with the norweigon camp in the original film. We didnt need to see what happened. They even got a lot of things wrong in the film. Then had a main character survive when it was clear their were no survivors. Also when the 1982 practical effects destroy your terrible looking CGI mosnter your movie fails. In fact they gave the Thing a definate form in the prequel which makes no sense because it has no definate form.

True Grit - You cant remake John Wayne which is why ill never actually watch it ever.

Assault on Precinct 13 - The Original John Carpenter film had zombies this one didnt. What were they thinking?

Arthur - I mean really? I really dont need to say anything about this it speaks for itself.

The Karate Kid - Real title should be Kung Fu Kid. Jackie Chan did good in this film but this film just kept making me shake my head on why they call it a remake/reboot. It has nothing to do with the origianl Karate Kid movies and isnt even about Karate. Its not a bad film but it makes no sense to say its a remake when it has nothing to do with the original three films.

Death Race - I felt the remake with Jason Stathem was terrible. I prefer the original Sylvester Stallone version. I just really didnt like any of the characters in the remake.

Exorcist The Beginning - because its practically a remake of stuff we saw in the original 3 Exorcist movies.

Evil Dead - I cant say it didnt try. It had its own original ideas and they were good. The issue was the execution of those ideas. They decided their best way was to have a torture movie with its ideas. It tries hard to be its own film but doesnt suceed when you have the same car, same cabin, same items in the cabin, same book, same fruit cellar, and even the same woods.

Flight of the Phoenix - I didnt really like the original much but I hated the remake way way more. It seems anytime Dennis Quaid is attached to some films I try to Avoid it. Its not that he is a bad actor its just he chooses some bad scripts.

Flubber - Do I really need to explain? just watch the Robin Williams Flubber and you will see why I hate that remake.

The Fog - I have always been a huge John Carpenter fan. They have remade a lot of his films over the years and I cant help but be discusted. The remake to The Fog was aweful. It starred that dumb guy from Smallville and from there the acting is horrid. They wrote this more as a typical horror film you would see in liket he 90's. Thats the problem....John Carpenter would create different rules and bounderies for his horror films and thats what made Carpenters better.

Friday The 13th - I know I dont have to explain. Lately they just keep remaking horror movies that dont need remaking. They turn them into teen pop versions of their former selves by casting teen sensations and other bs.

Fright Night - The Original wasnt amazing but it was miles better than this film. This goes into a long arguement I have with recent vampire flicks. They are emo looking femmes with fangs that try to look super hot and kill its victems. Thats the new thing with vampires and its an aweful new thing.

Get Carter - The Michael Caine version is the best and always will be. Granted Michael Caine does star in the Stallone Remake its just extremely boring. I found the remake so boring that I couldnt sit through it without hitting fast forward. I remember being excited for this when I rented it in the 90's from blockbuster. It was a very boring anti climatic movie.

Halloween 1 and 2 - Rob Zombie makes aweful movies. His characters are the same from film to film. They are usually white trash southerners that abuse their kids and talk with terrible accents. Im from the south and this dude offends me greatly. All of his films have the same characters and same elements. Again you cant remake a John Carpenter movie and expect it to succeed. They show Michael Myers back story and thats where they went wrong. In Carpenters they didnt need to go back and actually show what happened and thats what created the fear in Michael Myers. It was the not knowing fully what happened and the mystery in this character that made everyone fear him. They went back and showed all this bs and he wasnt scary anymore he was predictable and silly.

Nightmare on Elm Street - Jackie Earle Halley did a good job but the entire film was just awefuly written. The characters were all useless where at least 1 or 2 in the films before it actually made you care about them.

Ocean's Eleven - George Clooney soley ruined this film for me and I cant explain why. He walked onto the film and just plays himself. I cant stand how badly his acting has become. I actually think Val Kilmer in the same role would have owned this movie.

Planet of The Apes - Tim Burtons worst film. The writing and acting in this film was just so aweful it was like no one even took this film seriously. The makeup and special effects were laughable along with the sets they were on.

Any Poseidon adventure remake - They remade it twice and will do it again sadly.

Psycho - You cast Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates?......that killed the movie before it was even done.

Red Dawn - The reason why the original is far better is because of the cast. Its because they story telling of the 80's along with the cast made you love the characters. In the remake you cant like any of the characters. In fact you want to cheer for the badguys because of how silly they characters are.

Rollerball - what an aweful remake to a movie that was actually pretty good. The remake would star like LL Cool J and Jean Reno and whatever other actors in the film I could care less about at this point. I havent seen it since it came out and dont plan to ever watch it again in my entire life. I can at least stick in the original and enjoy it.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - There has yet to be a sequel or remake thats even close to the original.

Total Recall - Yes the remake of a movie thats not really a remake but is a remake. This movie was so far all over the place from trying to be a remake yet not be a remake. This is why it failed. It tries too hard to be its own film but at the same time tries to be the original.

Van Helsing - I prefer the original Peter Cushing version over this film. This was just so aweful and cartoonish to the point where I said Im done when he got bit by the werewolf.

The Good ones (yes there were some good remakes)

Bad News Bears - I actually liked Billy Bob Thornton in this film. I mean they did it in a way where it didnt seem like a remake rather than just a different take on the original film.

The Blob 1988 - I stars Kevin Dillon and I actually prefer this version to the original. I felt this was more what the blob was than the other. Rob Zombie is remaking this and he is already putting it in the wrong direction we already know he will have the same white trash characters with abusive parents and characters you could give a crap about. I loved the 1988 version of the Blob.

Cape Fear - I feel both versions of the film are excelent and thats all that needs to be said.

I Am Legend - It wasnt bad but it wasnt amazing either. They got alot wrong in this adaption from the book. I felt The Omega Man is still the strongest out of the three films.

Clash of the Titans - I really didnt feel like the remake was that bad. The original wasnt amazing in its own right either. This wasnt an amazing film but I felt it gave me more than the original did.

The Departed - A lot of people dont know this was a remake. Its a remake of a Hong Kong film called Internal Affairs. I actually prefer the american version and not because of the actors in it. I think it told a better story than the Hong Kong film did.

Fistful of Dollars - Fistful of Dollars was a remake of a Japanese film from 1961 called Yojimbo and it was about Samurais. The american version would be a western and star Clint Eastwood which would ultimately create 5 others movies after it in his Man with No Name character.

The Fly - Jeff Goldblum was awesome in this movie. I felt it was one of his best movies. The sequel The Fly 2 wasnt that bad either. I liked both the remake and the sequel that came after it.

Gone in 60 Seconds - This remake is a guilty pleasure for me and thats all that needs to be said.

The Mummy - I actually prefer the Mummy remake over the Christopher Lee original.

The Thomas Crown Affair - I actually enjoyed the remake of this film. It had its problems with being a remake and all but Peirce Brosnan did great in this movie.

The Time Machine - I dont know why people give this remake a lot of hate. I actually enjoyed it even though Jeremy irons wasnt in it long enough it was still a good remake. I didnt have any problem with it other than the big goofey looking monsters.

3:10 To Yuma - I really enjoyed this one.

Upcoming and not looking forward to.

The Crow - I like how they are defending it by saying its its own adaption to The Crow but not a remake. Total recall said the same thing so Gee I wonder how this will fair.

Highlander - Ryan Reynolds plays Connor McCloed and with that Ill never watch this crap.

Escape from New York - Again with a John Carpenter Remake. There has yet to be a good one so this will be crap.

Carrie - Didnt they already remake this? why try again?

Robocop - if you have been following the youtube vids and pics everyone should know this will be a hugeeeeeeee dud.

Mad Max - Tom Hardy will play max and I think he could very well fit the part. Im not saying this will be terrible like the others but im in no way looking forward to it.

Pet Semetary - Gee I bet it will be like every other horror thats come out recently....hmmmmm

Point Break - great lets start remaking Patrick Swayze films.

An American Werewolf In London - See Pet Semetary.

Childs Play - Yet Brad Dourif will be chucky again....how is that a remake?

Dirty Dancing - See Patrick Swayze........again......why?

Starship Troopers - I can understand with its terrible sequels but I liked the original.

The Never Ending Story - The Never Ending My Ass

The Seven Samurai - great lets remake Japanese films its not like we dont do it enough anyway....

War Games - Sadly I think this could be good if done right.

Time Bandits - BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

American Psycho - but Christian Bale hasnt died yet or got old.

The Birds - I bet this will be just like the Fog remake.

Commando - You have Arnold alive and well and in shape again. Yet you dont want a sequel?....you deserve to fail.

Death Wish - last I heard Stallone was doing it now he dropped out and its Robert Downey Jr., I bet this fails.

Lethal Weapon - You have all of the actors still alive and acting and you want to remake it? same producer and director doing the remake too.....why?

Overboard - with Jennifer Lopez....I have no words for this.

Porky's - Great so now we will update the horny school students....

Romancing the Stone - I need to kill some people in hollywood.

Scareface - Why?

Short Circut - I hated the orignal why remake it to torture me again?

The Bodyguard - Gee didnt see this one coming....who will they get for this one? Moddanna?

The Warriors - Hell no

I hate to read a list of remakes just to remember some of the ones I couldnt remember.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #19
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Lieger, my friend would want to have a conversation with you... most of those remake on your list would make him very angry to know they are bad to you.

Karate Kid wasn't about karate... seriously was the original trilogy about karate ?
fact the original trilogy isn't about karate either, its about the man , the kid trying to be a man. the kid that never had a father and miyaji being the closest thing to a father. he teached karate to a kid who couldn't defend himself. simply as a way to instill discipline to a child with none.
i'm gonna tell you exactly whats written on my trilogy case here to proove it to you...

first it was Teacher to students.

then it was father to son.

now it's man to man.

that explain the original trilogy quite well... karate was accessory, it was never the focal point of it all. it was all about a man trying to get respect for himself, trying to accomplish what he couldn'T before it.

the only thing i hated about the remake is that it tryed to be too close to the original movie in that case. it even got to take many of the scenes to a point where that remake was nothing but a fanmade hommage to the movie trilogy and it failed hard because of that. had it created his own scenes... it would of been a great remake. and the move at the end... way too complicated and you actually see the other kid waiting for the hit to actually arrive.

Escape from new york... you do realise he created his own remake 3 years after with escape from LA ?
i liked both films, they had this fantasy setting that was well developped, you could actually believe in both scenarios. but escape from LA was better because of its futuristic setting.

Short Circuit is a cult classic, not the second one just the first one. so i dont know why you are saying it was bad.

There are a lot of movies that are bad only if you consider them to be from the start.
the amazing spiderman was consdered by me as the worse of them all never gonna rip open sam raimi spiderman, yet when i watched the movie it was nowhere near as bad as i thoguht it would be. if there is one thing i got rid of myself, is the fact that action should always be gunfights and punching to the face. so now i can look at movies without me saying there are long and boring cuts. when you start falling into the pits of loving one thing more then others you end up telling yourself lies about a movie. and as such a movie is always higher in ones view after the first view. its only after the second view once you dropped down from your little paradise clouds that it becomes evident.

i could give Mortal Kombat as an exemple of what i was all about years back.
after listening to that movie i was like, what the hell is this ****... nothing like the game, where are the moves and finishers... its only after seeing the second one that i noticed how the first one was truly a piece of art. it was really well made and the moves were tere. charcaters well portrayed. it even made me love johnny cage which was my god awefull charcater from the game.

i'm looking at your list right now and there are many of them that i did like... i dont think many got stellar, but definitely not bad remakes. The evil dead one wasn't that bad, considering how much it took out of the box office besting GI JOE 2 out in the first week-end. seriously... the movie wasn'T half bad. it was a great hommage to the original, they even made great sucess that they are making the second movie. the only thing that i found bad in there is the ending... like who stays alive... not going to say more...

the tim burton planets of the apes wasn'T half bad, seriously... i've seen far worse film then his.

again i think you are biased by your "Originals are always better" view. i think you are too focused on that to even try to understand where they stood with the remake.

if you wanna talk about bad movies, let's talk about street fighter, double dragons, dungeon and dragons and pretty much any uwe boll movies !
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
Liger Zero
Outstanding Patriot

Post Thanks / Like

Remakes are never good though they just either down the story, ignore the original source material, make up source material, or they take away the elements that made the original film great to begin with. Like I said with halloween they took the mystery away from Michael Myers thus eliminating anything scary with him. In the original he was more frightening because he had mystery to him. You didnt know everything about him and in the remake we were shown everything to the point where he became just laughable. seriously people laughed in the theater whenever he killed someone.

Same with Prometheus people laughed durring a lot of the scenes yet come out and say it was this ground breaking amazing film. If you laughed through half of the film then how is it an amazing piece of art? It wasnt a comedy and had no reason to make you laugh but it did.

Im sorry but most of those movies I listed in the bad remakes were bad movies. I havent liked any John Carpenter remake and havent met a single person that can say they liked The Fog remake. The one person who said they liked it only liked it because of the idiot from Smallville.

Other bad movies include any video game movie. I havent found myself liking any of the video game movies at all. Even Resident Evil has become a joke in film.

Lets be honest though with most video games there is no storyline to desperately take over. MK, SF, and Tekken are fighting games with not much of a storyline based soley on the games alone. I mean seriously they only way you get any storyline or background on a fighting game character is the instruction book or internet. There isnt much to work with in fighting games.

Mario Bros was terrible because again there isnt much story to Mario. Its about a princess that always gets kidnapped and Mario saves the day. They may have completely ignored most of that story but She did get kidnapped and He did save the day.

Also again im sorry but most of those films I listed in the bad remakes were god aweful. I mean some really aweful stuff. I could easily take the time to go into chapter book long reviews about why they didnt succeed as their own films and why they failed as a remake. I said Evil Dead had its own ideas and they were original and good but what I didnt like was they tried for me at least to pay too much hommage to the originals. They had the same car, the same fruit cellar, the same cabin, the same items in some of the rooms as easter eggs, and the same forest.

It also went with the overly bloody self toture scenes which arnt scary in the least. Blood doesnt cause fear it only creates disgust. I was disgusted most of the film. I think it was James Cameron who also said that blood only creates disgust, fear is created through story telling. When the story telling has a mix of good and bad and its overly bloody its just disgusting.

Last edited by Liger Zero; 04-23-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #21
bloodpack
Super Advanced Member

Post Thanks / Like

you see...theres this monetary mentality in hollywood THAT they wont stop doing reboots/remakes, neverending sequels or even prequels as long as they havent perfected the box office revenue

how many star wars episodes we need to see? resident evil? spiderman? hulk? how many batman or superman we had? so on and so forth...
Old 04-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #22
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I think you guys have totally forgot the point in the new evil dead movie though...
you do realise that Sam raimi, Rob Tapert and Bruce Campbells we're all 3 on set during the movie and they were all 3 wanting to do evil dead 4. it was their idea actually to revisit the movie. something people wanted for years on end. Sam Raimi the original creator. said he wanted to revisit it remake the original movie, literally make it better then what it ended up with.

in the end Sam Raimi decided not to redo it cause he didn't like the story they had, but he had no remorse using the very same cabin since it was already there. when he saw the script for the movie those kids pulled... their first, he was like cool thats exactly what i wanted in a remake of evil dead. and he gave them the ok with his help in doing it.

so again i think you are getting yourself biased by a single word called "REMAKE" i know a lot of people that as soon as you say that word, its automatically a bad thing. but no in many case its not. in EVIL DEAD case, sam raimi himself wanted to remake the movie and he did.

Evil Dead the remake was on par with the old one to me. and seriously... there are two people laughing in an horror movie... those who laugh to hide their fear. notice how those people also talk alot during the movie. those people dont laugh cause the movie made them laugh, they laugh cause they are afraid and doesn't want it to appear. and there are the people who laugh cause the mvie is just that bad... the origfinal Evil Dead is the second category to all people. seriously everyone i showed that original piece of art, everyone laughed at the wrongly made scenes, at the fact the CGI is totally visible, at the fact that at the end everything is made in stop motion and completely thrashed that evil feel. at the fact the actors changes hair style int he middle of a scene.

tell me, how can the remake be that much worse then the original when the original has became a parody of horror film ?

game wise.. not much movies are great.. actually i can name only 2 i loved...
Mortal Kombat & Tomb Raider
Mortal Kombat was well made, well thought out, i loved the story cause it was pretty much what is MK in a nutshell.

Tomb Raider... the first one was cool, but they added too much human variable into it. but to their defense they didn'T want it to be a remake of indiana jones which is what everyone was talking about before the movie was even hitting theather. the second one had more puzzles into it. made it greater in that point, they even added the shark scene which was reminding me that she did fought animals in the game. but in the end too much puzzles came to the very same problem. and i disliked the story of her being asked by the government to find pandoras box, its something she herself would of done.

i was hoping for a third movie which has both elements of the orginals to make it the perfect tomb raider.

seriously, people says remake are automatically bad, but in many cases remakes are what is needed... Fantastic Four is one of them, with the way they did it, it was a necessity to remake it. same with superman. return shouldn'T have hapenned they should of took their own take on it.

and me too i could go on and on as to why certain movies that you think are bad are actually good. but opinions are opinions so im not going to go on that road. in the way of cinema.... the art that is to capture something on film... many remakes are just that much better.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #23
Liger Zero
Outstanding Patriot

Post Thanks / Like

You realize I have a list of "Good Remakes" in the same post right?

To add to that....

The Incredible Hulk - cause lets face it the Hulk 2003 was aweful.

Remakes I feel are needed.

The Last Starfighter - not saying its a bad movie but I feel with the effects as bad as they were a remake wouldnt be a half bad idea.
DareDevil
Elektra
Ghost Rider - Definately needs a reboot, they can do like Wolverine and keep the main actor.
Alien - Needs a reboot, something that puts it in its own franchise seperate from the original franchise. I feel Alien 3, Resurrection and Prometheus burried the franchise.

I never said all remakes were bad. The sad thing is most remakes that have been done were bad.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #24
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

DareDevil was cool to me... at least the directors cut was.

Since when was Wolverine Rebooted ?
as far as i am concerned it never was and it was always part of the same xmen franchise but as a spinoff.

ghostrider 2 was supposed to be a reboot and kinda was if you look at it that way. it still didn't cut it. so no more ghost riders please. same with punishers, they dont cut it, so dont remake them. the last star fighter was a good movie, i'd totally see a remake of that one with newest graphics.

and again... hulk 2003 wasn't half bad. lots in it was wrong true, mainly the enemy and the fact they gave a reason to why hulk existed. but i liked the movie. the incredible hulk was better in most part... but i consider the incredible hulk as a sequel. after all remove the first minute intro and you got a great sequel to the 2003 movie.

i fear the alien series wouldn't be great. i mean there are many movies that even though we have many more effects in our arsenals, there are movies like that that probably would never beat the originallity those movies had. exemple of aliens, predators, total recall to name a few... i dont see the remakes being good. yes you can solve many of the problesm, like better effects, better screenplay or better scenes in themselves... but in the end you are remaking an idea and without getting the heart out, its hard to just remake it and hope nobody will compare. so in the end the original will always comes back better in some ways.

still i'd be watching these remakes if they did.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
donkios
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 180
donkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura aboutdonkios has a spectacular aura about

I hated the 2003 Hulk movie too. It's so bad that i've had the DVD for about 6 years and never finished it once.

Thinking about it now i'm probably gonna watch it soon

--------------------------------------------------------

donkios is offline   Reply With Quote