SFO : Street Fighter Online

Go Back   SFO : Street Fighter Online > Street Fighter Online > General Comments & Strategies

SFO : Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The best topic ever. azncat RaNdOm iNsAnItY 14 02-21-2008 11:44 PM
The VS topic of X & Z topic Shadow~Jolteon RaNdOm iNsAnItY 14 05-24-2007 04:20 PM
This topic is JohnnyBlaze RaNdOm iNsAnItY 2 05-10-2007 09:50 PM
Topic zanku_ex General Comments & Strategies 7 03-16-2007 10:23 AM

Old 08-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
Shiny~Latios
Sentinel Week Winner!

Tournaments Joined: 1
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1173
Shiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the rough
Default FPS (Another Topic About it O_______O)

This topic has been made because ive hit some sort of dilenma when trying to figure out how exactly fps affects the game and vice versa.

Basically in one of my past comments in the lag topic or somethin, Karma stated that FPS had Nothing to do with the game. As of course wen it comes to topics such as lag and the like, we are all still not 100% about it so ive made this topic for any 1 who wishes to learn anything more about the game. I intend this to be more like a seminar, so do not insult any 1 for theyre opinion(im telling myself this aswell). Yet simply try to enlighten that person if you feel you can do so...Anyway

I always thought that FPS(Frames Per Second), was sort of like the amount of "action" that can be displayed at a given time on your screen(not trying to be very descriptive wanna leave some room for debate). So with this interpretation i see it as if you have a low fps, then u'll probably miss alot of moves your opponent throws since your comp cant process all the frames. But where my confusion comes from is that i am not certain what determines your fps.

For example i have a AMD v140(not even exactly sure wut that means, would like a comp wiz to enlighten me on this),2300 Mhz and 1 core Processor(nor this). I have a 2.0 Gb physical memory installed,1.74 total physical memory, and 841MB available(just now seeing this, that doesnt look so good D, 3.49 total vitual memory, 1.79 available virtual memory and a 1.74 page file space and my network properties show 65mbps(my friend told me its not mega bytes but bits i think).

Anyway when it comes down to it, i feel that my comp overall should be able to handle SFO very well, but it seems almost every game my fps drops to 31 or even in the 20's or lower, I try to clean my disk and registry(well registry i clean everyday), but this still doesnt seem to better anything. Does any 1 have an explanation to this?

Btw any 1 can comment and it doesnt have to be to my exact post either. Anything you may know or even question and want to state, feel free to say here(of course within the confinement of filters, decent language n w/e)

P.S it took me about 30 mins + to write this i swear D:

My Brother Forever

(-KAM-)
Shiny~Latios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
SSJKarma
Banned

Tournaments Joined: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice
Default Re: FPS (Another Topic About it O_______O)

the computer you have is pretty much the basics for playing SFO.

to understand what FPS is, you also need to know exactly what part of your computer do what...
so let's start there...

the processor, in this case the AMD 2300mhz with one core.
the processor is like the head of the computer, it is what thinks and tells the computer what to do. the brain if you preffer. while its sole purpose is to calculate equations and execute commands based on those equations. it is important that the processor be able to handle more and more of those equations because they can become quite numerous when it comes to programs.

so based on what you say, your processor is 2300mhz and as such can run just about 2,300,000 commands a second. thats pretty fast to be honest. but where that problem arise is when you actually load things into memory, the processor sorts the commands and play them all in order, unfortunately each programs (games) have millions and millions of those, thus it takes more time and this is what makes the loading screen in games be more or less big. with the right processor loading times will be fast, but the lowest the processor can do, the slowest the loading time becomes.

time to talk about memory now... there are 2 types of memory on a computer...
the RAM (Random Access Memory) is the body in which the brain(processor) works in.
the more memory you have the more stockage you have the less problem you'll have to access the data you need. kinda like a wood worker in a building made for it, each tools is carefully staged at their place. but if the place is tiny, the wood worker will have to move each piece around to make room and at that everytimes. thus losing time doing useless operations.

so the more memory you have the better.
but memory doesn't stop to the RAM, you have virtual one as well. the virtual memory is a backup source in which the processor can put things when the physical (RAM) memory is full. but the virtual memory is a place on your computer hard drive. that drive isn't as fast as the RAM because its not really made to be that fast, thus when using virtual memory, you get to slow the rate at which the processor works because he is forced to wait on the disk drive. but again, as the RAM having a big virtual memory section is good thing. but if you can have the maximum RAM capacity, todays capacity for mainly all games being 4 gig. you should be good to go.

lets get onto graphic card.
first and foremost graphic cards have memory too, that memory is there to store the images the card will use to display thing, it has also its own processor, that processor only processes the graphic data and not the commands like the CPU (processor) does. but since games uses a lot of graphics with 3D and all, the graphic card is the one doing most of the job. the FPS mainly comes from there in 3D games, in SFO the graphic card is barely used. why so ? because 2D is pretty much harder to handle, because the card has to know which pixel (each colored dot on screen) goes where then it also has to know what each pixels color is. thats why the card puts whole images in places in its memory and since the different textures are HD today, means the moemory to put them in as to be bigger as well. a 1gig card should be more then enough by todays standard. for SFO a 256 card should be enough, the graphic we use are far from HD size and are only a few pixels wide.

now putting this all together...
your FPS is the number of images that can be shown on screen per seconds.
usually in theaters, movies shows 24 images per seconds to you. more then that is barely noticiable by your human eye. 30 fps is where the human eye can't see the difference anymore. 60 is todays rate for pretty much every games you know. why 60 ? simple, at that point the image will be appear to be very very very smothly passing by, your brain will not be able to see that it is images in succession at that point, your brain will think its a fluid movement, and anything above that just smooths that same movement along.

so here we are, the more FPS you have, the better the experience when it comes to what you see on screen.
now, if you have a bad processor, like you have now... not that sits not enough, but single core tends to be just not good now a days. what is dual cores or duo cores, or quad cores... basically its like that brain was split in two... just like your real brain his, it has a left and a right side, each sides doing a different job when it comes to those equation they have to solve. as they say, more heads is better then 1. so is true for processors.

now lets go back to SFO...
SFO is a shockwave game, using the memory of your graphic card to show you images, but it doesn't use the graphic card per say. shockwave wasn't designed for that, unlike current video games. so the processor as extra job here, it has to calculate and add up all the graphic card work. the card only does the showing part. now the card cannot show what it didn't received. so if the processor has trouble following up the gameplay and the many equation that it gets, it will send only what it is able to do. and as such the graphic card will only show what it received.

thus your FPS just got lower.
now if your processor isn't able to do all equations it might be because of two thing... first your memory isn't big enough, thus making the processor work twice because it has to make room every now and then. or it is simply not able to follow because it wasn't made to follow so much equations.

you have to remember that your processor has to work with a lot here, it has to work with your operating system (macOS or Windows) and while all that is running it has to work with your browser (IE, Firefox) then it has to work with the shockwave engine (adobe Shockwave player) then it has to work with whatever images and sounds the actual game is giving it (SFO). though you may think the computer do not have anything running, you still have all this running a single game. and thats without counting, MSN, Winamp or whatever other programs you are running in the background.

the more power you give to your processor, the less FPS you will get. deep down somewhere that computer needs priorities, but you are the one who should give him those priorities. so if you want more FPS, you'll have to give your computer more room to work with. and even more, give him less work to do, so he can take all of his effort into your SFO game.

agian what you described me, is probably the basics to play SFO.
20 fps is still a great number. anything above 15 is playable int he case of SFO.
anything below that is unplayable and shouldn'T be attempted further.

now with all this said, don't get fooled thinking your FPS is bad if you lag much. because lag is totally something else. again your computer works with what it gets, and lag is the time between your computer and the one against which you play. so say the game hasn't responded for a whole second, due to lag, your computer will be missing data and that will be seen on screen, not as your FPS dropping, but by your opponent teleporting or simply standing there. because the program will show you the last data it received.

again LAG is something else and has nothing to do with your computer or FPS.
your FPS is your machine alone, while LAG is the the connection between both computers.

conclusion, your machine is what makes FPS. giving your machine too much to do isn't good, it goes against your machine. and the machine is not designed to work with what it doesn't have. so you have to make sure it has room, the speed and the data to work with. if any of this is missing, then your FPS will go down.

long wall of text, but to understand FPS you really need to know how the computer works.
so i hope this clears your question about FPS. feel free to ask more if you want clarification, i wrote this real fast.
SSJKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
Shiny~Latios
Sentinel Week Winner!

Post Thanks / Like
Shiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the roughShiny~Latios is a jewel in the rough

Werd Karma, thanks so very much for this(yes i did read it all), that was very informative.

I have alot of questions to ask you when i get time, but ppl dont forget this is every 1's topic.

Again, awesome stuff man.

My Brother Forever

(-KAM-)
Old 08-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
eviltomas
Ryu Week Winner!

Tournaments Joined: 2
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 302
eviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura about
Visit eviltomas's Facebook Visit eviltomas's YouTube
Post Re: FPS (Another Topic About it O_______O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJKarma View Post
the computer you have is pretty much the basics for playing SFO.

to understand what FPS is, you also need to know exactly what part of your computer do what...
so let's start there...

the processor, in this case the AMD 2300mhz with one core.
the processor is like the head of the computer, it is what thinks and tells the computer what to do. the brain if you preffer. while its sole purpose is to calculate equations and execute commands based on those equations. it is important that the processor be able to handle more and more of those equations because they can become quite numerous when it comes to programs.

so based on what you say, your processor is 2300mhz and as such can run just about 2,300,000 commands a second. thats pretty fast to be honest. but where that problem arise is when you actually load things into memory, the processor sorts the commands and play them all in order, unfortunately each programs (games) have millions and millions of those, thus it takes more time and this is what makes the loading screen in games be more or less big. with the right processor loading times will be fast, but the lowest the processor can do, the slowest the loading time becomes.

time to talk about memory now... there are 2 types of memory on a computer...
the RAM (Random Access Memory) is the body in which the brain(processor) works in.
the more memory you have the more stockage you have the less problem you'll have to access the data you need. kinda like a wood worker in a building made for it, each tools is carefully staged at their place. but if the place is tiny, the wood worker will have to move each piece around to make room and at that everytimes. thus losing time doing useless operations.

so the more memory you have the better.
but memory doesn't stop to the RAM, you have virtual one as well. the virtual memory is a backup source in which the processor can put things when the physical (RAM) memory is full. but the virtual memory is a place on your computer hard drive. that drive isn't as fast as the RAM because its not really made to be that fast, thus when using virtual memory, you get to slow the rate at which the processor works because he is forced to wait on the disk drive. but again, as the RAM having a big virtual memory section is good thing. but if you can have the maximum RAM capacity, todays capacity for mainly all games being 4 gig. you should be good to go.

lets get onto graphic card.
first and foremost graphic cards have memory too, that memory is there to store the images the card will use to display thing, it has also its own processor, that processor only processes the graphic data and not the commands like the CPU (processor) does. but since games uses a lot of graphics with 3D and all, the graphic card is the one doing most of the job. the FPS mainly comes from there in 3D games, in SFO the graphic card is barely used. why so ? because 2D is pretty much harder to handle, because the card has to know which pixel (each colored dot on screen) goes where then it also has to know what each pixels color is. thats why the card puts whole images in places in its memory and since the different textures are HD today, means the moemory to put them in as to be bigger as well. a 1gig card should be more then enough by todays standard. for SFO a 256 card should be enough, the graphic we use are far from HD size and are only a few pixels wide.

now putting this all together...
your FPS is the number of images that can be shown on screen per seconds.
usually in theaters, movies shows 24 images per seconds to you. more then that is barely noticiable by your human eye. 30 fps is where the human eye can't see the difference anymore. 60 is todays rate for pretty much every games you know. why 60 ? simple, at that point the image will be appear to be very very very smothly passing by, your brain will not be able to see that it is images in succession at that point, your brain will think its a fluid movement, and anything above that just smooths that same movement along.

so here we are, the more FPS you have, the better the experience when it comes to what you see on screen.
now, if you have a bad processor, like you have now... not that sits not enough, but single core tends to be just not good now a days. what is dual cores or duo cores, or quad cores... basically its like that brain was split in two... just like your real brain his, it has a left and a right side, each sides doing a different job when it comes to those equation they have to solve. as they say, more heads is better then 1. so is true for processors.

now lets go back to SFO...
SFO is a shockwave game, using the memory of your graphic card to show you images, but it doesn't use the graphic card per say. shockwave wasn't designed for that, unlike current video games. so the processor as extra job here, it has to calculate and add up all the graphic card work. the card only does the showing part. now the card cannot show what it didn't received. so if the processor has trouble following up the gameplay and the many equation that it gets, it will send only what it is able to do. and as such the graphic card will only show what it received.

thus your FPS just got lower.
now if your processor isn't able to do all equations it might be because of two thing... first your memory isn't big enough, thus making the processor work twice because it has to make room every now and then. or it is simply not able to follow because it wasn't made to follow so much equations.

you have to remember that your processor has to work with a lot here, it has to work with your operating system (macOS or Windows) and while all that is running it has to work with your browser (IE, Firefox) then it has to work with the shockwave engine (adobe Shockwave player) then it has to work with whatever images and sounds the actual game is giving it (SFO). though you may think the computer do not have anything running, you still have all this running a single game. and thats without counting, MSN, Winamp or whatever other programs you are running in the background.

the more power you give to your processor, the less FPS you will get. deep down somewhere that computer needs priorities, but you are the one who should give him those priorities. so if you want more FPS, you'll have to give your computer more room to work with. and even more, give him less work to do, so he can take all of his effort into your SFO game.

agian what you described me, is probably the basics to play SFO.
20 fps is still a great number. anything above 15 is playable int he case of SFO.
anything below that is unplayable and shouldn'T be attempted further.

now with all this said, don't get fooled thinking your FPS is bad if you lag much. because lag is totally something else. again your computer works with what it gets, and lag is the time between your computer and the one against which you play. so say the game hasn't responded for a whole second, due to lag, your computer will be missing data and that will be seen on screen, not as your FPS dropping, but by your opponent teleporting or simply standing there. because the program will show you the last data it received.

again LAG is something else and has nothing to do with your computer or FPS.
your FPS is your machine alone, while LAG is the the connection between both computers.

conclusion, your machine is what makes FPS. giving your machine too much to do isn't good, it goes against your machine. and the machine is not designed to work with what it doesn't have. so you have to make sure it has room, the speed and the data to work with. if any of this is missing, then your FPS will go down.

long wall of text, but to understand FPS you really need to know how the computer works.
so i hope this clears your question about FPS. feel free to ask more if you want clarification, i wrote this real fast.
I love your long speeches. Very easy and clear to read. When you do long speeches and I read it everything is true. Thank you for that. [Compliment]. Fast computers cause most people to win which is a fact. People with slow computers just lag the game and should not play sfo anymore. My FPS is really good. When I checked on speedtest.net it says faster then 96% of the US. Grade= A. So I mostly get wins. Thats the reason why my record is this[ W-297] [L-15]. No, I did not get those wins from noobs if your wondering. Shiny, thanks for posting this thread. If your FPS is slow, start by clearing all the buggy junk off your computer might be one way of making your computer ready for sfo. Do not clear the wrong stuff off your pc. That will affect your computer such as, your Devices. I got a new custom made computer made from my friend and its fast as ever. Thank you once again for posting this thread. Shiny try clearing the junk okay.

Last edited by eviltomas; 08-26-2011 at 06:46 AM.
eviltomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
Shiny~Latios
Sentinel Week Winner!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltomassmash View Post
I love your long speeches. Very easy and clear to read. When you do long speeches and I read it everything is true. Thank you for that. [Compliment]. Fast computers cause most people to win which is a fact. People with slow computers just lag the game and should not play sfo anymore. My FPS is really good. When I checked on speedtest.net it says faster then 96% of the US. Grade= A. So I mostly get wins. Thats the reason why my record is this[ W-297] [L-15]. No, I did not get those wins from noobs if your wondering. Shiny, thanks for posting this thread.
"People with slow computers just lag the game and should not play sfo anymore"

Basically what i was thinking, just not so blatantly.

And werd, i made this topic for every 1's benefit.

My Brother Forever

(-KAM-)
Old 08-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
eviltomas
Ryu Week Winner!

Post Thanks / Like
eviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura abouteviltomas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny~Latios View Post
"People with slow computers just lag the game and should not play sfo anymore"

Basically what i was thinking, just not so blatantly.

And werd, i made this topic for every 1's benefit.
Exactly, you get the point. Good young one. Was trying to prove a simple point to really laggy players. Just using you as an example.

Last edited by eviltomas; 08-26-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
Shiny~Latios
Sentinel Week Winner!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltomassmash View Post
Exactly, you get the point. Good young one. Was trying to prove a simple point to really laggy players. Just using you as an example.
O.o

*scratches head*

My Brother Forever

(-KAM-)
Old 08-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
(-PakistaN-)

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 8
(-PakistaN-) is on a distinguished road(-PakistaN-) is on a distinguished road(-PakistaN-) is on a distinguished road(-PakistaN-) is on a distinguished road(-PakistaN-) is on a distinguished road(-PakistaN-) is on a distinguished road(-PakistaN-) is on a distinguished road(-PakistaN-) is on a distinguished road(-PakistaN-) is on a distinguished road(-PakistaN-) is on a distinguished road(-PakistaN-) is on a distinguished road
Visit (-PakistaN-)'s Facebook

Lool Shiny, you have been used. Like a tampon.

Is 40 fps the highest you can get on SFO? I've never gotten higher.

\
(-PakistaN-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
eviltomas
Ryu Week Winner!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-PakistaN-) View Post
Lool Shiny, you have been used. Like a tampon.

Is 40 fps the highest you can get on SFO? I've never gotten higher.
Yup, always says 40. Thats good enough.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

SFO has a lock on FPS, you'll never get above 40 fps.
thats to limit the power SFO will use, because computers who can do more then 40 fps will usually take the power until they are topped, we dont want that. just a question of ressource management.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
Shiny~Latios
Sentinel Week Winner!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah okay time for some questions...

Although you have stated that FPS isnt related to LAG why does it seem like every time when a game im in lags my fps drops? Or why is it when my fps is low even though my ping may not be showing high numbers, i move slower?

My Brother Forever

(-KAM-)
Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
decorrain
Advanced Member

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 90
decorrain is an unknown quantity at this point

From my judgement I've noticed when ever my connection is bad my FPS begins to drop which causes my game to move significantly slow, FPS to me does has a say so in-game the higher your FPS the faster you move and (lag) decreases.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

easy answer...
lag can affect FPS in one single way...
as i said before your FPS cannot show what it doesn'T have to show. it shows only what it can show and has received.

thus if your computer only received half the opponents data, then the program shows you that.
which makes you think your fps has gone low, but actually it hasn't. the program itself only showed what it had. making you think your fps is bad, but actually its your lag that is.

that said a number of things can make FPS go bad as well even though it was right the moment before it.
we also think some people cheat their ways around.
as in the game is cool but the moment they are about to lose or something, they lag boost the game making it unplayable on your part. thats probably what happens if your fps and lag goes nuts all of a sudden.

but we can't be sure of that one.
i rarely ever seen it happen, the only time it did happen to me, was my computer hvaing trouble when i pressed my down key... everytime i would press it, the game would slow me down to 1 fps. but that was my own computer playing tricks on me due to a problem in cache. had to reset at that point.

one of the major FPS problem that can arise is the cache being corrupted.
hitting F5 once in a while should solve the problem.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
blockattack
SFO Admin

Tournaments Joined: 3
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1185
blockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to all
Visit blockattack's Facebook Visit blockattack's Twitter Visit blockattack's YouTube

FPS = Frames per second.

This is ONLY based on your computer processors output, or your current PC's performance. ONLY.

FPS has absolutely nothing to do with your internet connection. If your FPS is low, this simply means you will see less frames on YOUR computer screen... Of course your opponent is still seeing the same 40 frames per second.. But since YOUR input will be slower because you can only perform about 15 frames per second ... your actions will seem odd on the opposite side of the connection.

While a spidey kick on the low FPS computer may take about 5 seconds to perform... regardless of the Internet Connection... It still may only take 1.5 seconds on a up to date PC. Or a PC that isnt downloading porn and playing background music.. as this takes alot of processing power. So while the slower PC's spidey is still flying through the air.. for 4 more seconds on YOUR pc.. Your standing still and have completed your spidey kick for 4 seconds.. Thus giving people the excuse of OMG YOU LAG.. GET OFF YOUR WALMART CONNECTION YOU BEANER!!

No... FPS has nothing to do with internet connection... AT ALL... ever...IN SFO.

SFO's LAG has been hard coded to act differently... Seeing as it is not a console game. SFO was not really supposed to be a multi-player game at all.. As it is flashed based...
In console gaming.. I suppose, to make things fair.. LAG equals lowered FPS.. to make sure that the players can keep up with each other.. And you decide to take that concept into SFO..
When that is NOT the case.

TMyApp, decided to go another route.. There are two ways to compensate for LAG in online gaming... for the most part..
Lower FPS on both ends to make sure that both or all players can keep up with each other.. *Fair Game* Or, in SFO's case.. Keep the game at the exact same speed, and have the device attempt to keep up on its own... Since SFO is flashed based, and not all of the animations make it through the packet sending stage.. You will see lots, and lots of skipping *Or teleporting* .

This is how SFO compensates for lag... Keeping the fast paced "action" at the cost of not being able to keep up with the other player. LAG in SFO is seen as Rapid teleporting, or unexplained movements around the map, OR.. Packets of information all catching up to a players computer at one moment.. resulting in 3 impossible on screen hadokens, followed by an insta-kill

This is speaking from experience, and speaking to TMyApp years back about the LAG factor in SFO, and possibly re-coding the engine (AINT GONNA HAPPEN).

Ive played this game for years, still do.. Yeah I have 5 PC's.. Yeah 2 are connected on dial up, two on WAN, and one on LAN.. yeah I play myself for fun in the training server.. (And thus having an immunity from being banned because .. well... thats just stupid to do as a normal player lol) I record and observe whats going on..
And I've seen that even on a dial up connected PC.. with up to date specs.. The FPS will remain at a steady 40 .. Thus disproving that the internet connection has anything to do with FPS drop. It is coincidental .. as annoying as that may same... that the internet connection is bad, and so is the FPS..
Any number of things can and will go wrong while running SFO.. at one point, your computer might even grow arms and legs and try to strangle you from hours of button mashing... But more than likely.. it'll just get tired of running SFO.. as by default.. it uses 75% + of your PC's processing power.. Just this alone, is reason enough for an FPS drop... eventually..

But the constant topics and misinformed posts about this subject over the weeks has just bitten my ass too many times to count..
No ones gotten it right..

If I need to post this in a Non-Rant form.. I will

Last edited by blockattack; 09-08-2011 at 12:13 PM.
blockattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

block, exactly what i said...
your computer cannot show you what it doesn't have.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #16
Crying-FrEEman
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 0
Crying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura about

Back then when SFO didnt actually have the FPS tab reading & to find out your FPS for SFO was to enter /fps, at the time i use to get mainly 40 fps but from time to time i also got a reading of 40.333 .. and from what i recall there was a time where it hit higher than that but i couldnt remember the exact digits.

I also agree with Karma & Block .. Lag is from your connection & FPS is how fast you can move on your pc (simple terms) providing what your pc receives.

But there is a question that i wanna ask Karma, block or anyones that could give me an answer!

My internet provider actually gives me a few options that i could set my net on ..
There is 5 options ..

So i usually have it on either Thrillseeker which is the highest speed i could get or .. Gamers mode.
When set on thrillseeker i do get the higest speed i could get but my ping is about around 20 - 30 whilte on gamers my ping will be about 10 - 15.
What mode would be better? Is speed better? or a lower ping?

Go Hard ... OR ... Go Home!

Xtreme X Clan

Need For Speed Launch Sydney 2010

Enter Sick Pick

Last edited by Crying-FrEEman; 09-08-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Crying-FrEEman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #17
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Simply said this is a limiter for your connection.
Limitting your connection to a bandwidth may make the thing better as in less loss of packets or things, but it may as well not do a thing considering the connection isn't just on your end, it is entirely depending on the world wide network. from what i can see here, this would only limit your connection speed, which in turn means that you'd be paying for say 24mega in speed just to limit it to 8megas later on ? thats just stupid, why pay for something you could limit.

in theory this is something worth it, but in practice it is not, because in the end you are not the one who controls the stability of your connection when its on the internet. after all you cannot control your packets path. they may still end up losing themselves in road blocks along the way. thus reducing your bandwidth will have no effect ont hat.

i'd say always keep it near the speed your connection has.
thats from what i see, otherwise there are people playing with the packets that are sent (MIPS) but thats something i dont recommend, it can literally screw your connection if this software does that then leaving it thrill might give you best results anyway... but as i said, always keep your setting to your actual connection limit.

if you have a 7megas connection then let it be at 8. if you have a 24megas connection then let it be at that !
Old 09-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #18
blockattack
SFO Admin

Tournaments Joined: 3
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1185
blockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to allblockattack is a name known to all
Visit blockattack's Facebook Visit blockattack's Twitter Visit blockattack's YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJKarma View Post
block, exactly what i said...
your computer cannot show you what it doesn't have.
Great minds think alike

Sorry bro.. didnt know ya posted.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #19
Crying-FrEEman
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Crying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura aboutCrying-FrEEman has a spectacular aura about

Ah i see .. so i'll just leave it on the highest speed i could get which is up to 24mb. I just thought ping actually came into play but if it doesnt i rather have a higher speed connection than a lower one!

Xtreme X Clan

Enter Sick Pick

Old 09-09-2011, 03:06 AM   #20
decorrain
Advanced Member

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 90
decorrain is an unknown quantity at this point

Freeman what internet provider are you with I'm looking into changing providers for the best net speed.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #21
Crying-FrEEman
VIP

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with IINET but remember im not in the U.S ... im ozzy land down under.

Xtreme X Clan

Enter Sick Pick

Old 09-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #22
Shiny~Latios
Sentinel Week Winner!

Post Thanks / Like

Time for some serious questioning, if you cant answer some that fine.

All the questioning/ answering from you all has been extremely appreciated but it seems they just quite havent led me in the direction i wanted so ill try to invoke asnwers that may.

Now from the input that i received on frames i take it as its a user only or comp only thing that cant really be affected from outside influences i.e another comp.

So what about ping? From my understanding of it over the years it is simply the the time it takes for inputs, w.e to be reached from computers linked over a network or something like that =/

Anyway ping IS something that can be affected by both players correct, affected as in its possible to affect your opponents ping with actions on your comp that take up network space correct?

For example;

Today i was playing my good buddy kingryu in sfo like we always do but for some reason the connection between us is very,very shaky. Like i had been playing ppl all day and everything was fine but for this fight my fps was 30 and my ping was about 1100 - >3000 and i couldnt figure out what was going on, all my windows were closed except sfo and i had just disk cleaned and all that just yesterday so i was sure the problem couldnt have been me.

But then again there have been times when my computer has slowed down after i use my game vindicator(yes i think its my game vindicator that slows my comp =/), so i wasnt exactly sure who to place the blame on.

So i dont no how to categorize this problem.

Another lag deceptive problem;

As u guys probably have heard theres a player called One_Kill_Bro who has risen to infamy these past few weeks. Thing is i no hes a scrub but when we play he's still able to beat me. However during our games i notice that the lag is usually beyond ridiculous worse than probably any other player i face with the exception of freeman and desi, atm im in calli and one kill bro says that he lives instate aswell so i asked him whats his ul/dl speed and he says its around 6-10mps. Im pretty sure that with those numbers we shouldnt be experiencing lag upwards of 3 seconds or more so im not sure what the problem is. The very first time we played he mentioned he had a movie going on his comp while he was playing but im still not sure if it shouldnt bring up the lag to such drastic levels or if thats even the cause of it...

Anyway thats enough of my ranting, answers from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Oh and may i note that with my statements they were not intened in anyway critizing or attacking kingryu or one kill bro in anyway shape or form(aside from calling okb a scrub lol)they are just extreme examples that i find intriguing.

My Brother Forever

(-KAM-)

Last edited by Shiny~Latios; 09-25-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #23
xfaderx
SECTION 1 & 2

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1671
xfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of light
Visit xfaderx's YouTube

there's so many issues at play, its nearly impossible to pinpoint...

Basically, you have no control over what your opponent is doing/running on his/her computer when u play them
If they wanna fight full screen, with 10 other applications and 5 downloads at the same time, there's nothing you can do about it.

A lot of the young ppl these days really don't understand that running all these extra things during SFO will slow it down considerably.

Its pretty much a case of put up with it - or simply don't play that user.
not much of an answer but that's just the way it is i'm afraid.
xfaderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:18 AM   #24
Shiny~Latios
Sentinel Week Winner!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfaderx View Post
there's so many issues at play, its nearly impossible to pinpoint...

Basically, you have no control over what your opponent is doing/running on his/her computer when u play them
If they wanna fight full screen, with 10 other applications and 5 downloads at the same time, there's nothing you can do about it.

A lot of the young ppl these days really don't understand that running all these extra things during SFO will slow it down considerably.

Its pretty much a case of put up with it - or simply don't play that user.
not much of an answer but that's just the way it is i'm afraid.
Yea lol thanks for the input but yeah... not the type of answer im looking for.Wanna see if we have any comp/ net savy ppl who maybe able to come up with something concrete.

My Brother Forever

(-KAM-)
Old 09-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #25
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny~Latios View Post
Now from the input that i received on frames i take it as its a user only or comp only thing that cant really be affected from outside influences i.e another comp.
frame rate depends on your computer speed in processing what it receives. thus, yes you have it right.

Quote:
So what about ping? From my understanding of it over the years it is simply the the time it takes for inputs, w.e to be reached from computers linked over a network or something like that =/
The ping is simply the time it takes from your computer to send the message to the other computer and for that message to come back to your computer. say you have a ping of 1 seconds, then it means the message you sent took a whole second to go and come back to you.

on a side note, did you knew that the received message is called Pong ?

Quote:
Anyway ping IS something that can be affected by both players correct, affected as in its possible to affect your opponents ping with actions on your comp that take up network space correct?
A multitude of things can affect your ping.
your internet speed, his internet speed. the road blocks that your packet will fin on the network.
consider it as if you were driving on the highway. you have strickly no way to know which road is actually being maintained, as such detour are possible as well. all of these detour may make your ping go higher because in the end the road is blocked and as such the messages took more time to reach the destination.

the other thing that makes ping so high and sometimes so low right after, is the packet duration. each messages has a duration to it, if it doesn't get to its destination in the given time, it will be lost and destroyed. which in term makes the opponent computer asking your computer to send it back because it failed to receive it. as such the whole thing is redone again and again until all packets arrives to the destination.

you can control your computer internet speed and try to maximise it, but in the end you cannot control what will happen traffic wise once that packet has came out of your computer. for all we know your packet may have to go to japan before going back to california. so staying near doesn't affect it as much as people would think it would. but it does help just in case the road isn't blocked.

Quote:
For example;

Today i was playing my good buddy kingryu in sfo like we always do but for some reason the connection between us is very,very shaky. Like i had been playing ppl all day and everything was fine but for this fight my fps was 30 and my ping was about 1100 - >3000 and i couldnt figure out what was going on, all my windows were closed except sfo and i had just disk cleaned and all that just yesterday so i was sure the problem couldnt have been me.

But then again there have been times when my computer has slowed down after i use my game vindicator(yes i think its my game vindicator that slows my comp =/), so i wasnt exactly sure who to place the blame on.

So i dont no how to categorize this problem.
Its a known problem from vindicator, sometimes it seems to take up on ressources and make FPS go low for some reasons. the only solution we have to do that is to reduce its priority a bit. in order for windows to not put out too much processing power to it.

ctrl+alt+delete, brings up your processing list
click on the processes tab at the top.
right click on gamevindicator
click on the priority menu
click on lower priority then normal.

there youg o your vindicator shouldn'T be a problem after that.
if its still a problem,, then we suggest you dont play with it active.
it may be a good way to know your computer is not capable of running it with the game at once.

to conclude on game vindicator, it doesn't affect your lag at all, thats an FPS problem due to processor having a hard time doing both game and vindicator at the same time.

Quote:
Another lag deceptive problem;

As u guys probably have heard theres a player called One_Kill_Bro who has risen to infamy these past few weeks. Thing is i no hes a scrub but when we play he's still able to beat me. However during our games i notice that the lag is usually beyond ridiculous worse than probably any other player i face with the exception of freeman and desi, atm im in calli and one kill bro says that he lives instate aswell so i asked him whats his ul/dl speed and he says its around 6-10mps. Im pretty sure that with those numbers we shouldnt be experiencing lag upwards of 3 seconds or more so im not sure what the problem is. The very first time we played he mentioned he had a movie going on his comp while he was playing but im still not sure if it shouldnt bring up the lag to such drastic levels or if thats even the cause of it...

Anyway thats enough of my ranting, answers from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Oh and may i note that with my statements they were not intened in anyway critizing or attacking kingryu or one kill bro in anyway shape or form(aside from calling okb a scrub lol)they are just extreme examples that i find intriguing.
As fader said, if your opponent thinks he got high speed and want to take advantage of that and download millions of videos and musics while playing, then yes, it will make the connection skippy. Its all a question of managing your ressources.

if you cook in a real small kitchen that can take 3 people at a time, but want it done fast and end up putting up 6 people in there. all job will be done eventually, but you just clogged up the ressources and in the end you slowed everyone down. this is why its better to do small things at a time and do multiple job instead of letting everything be done at the same time.

the less you do whil playing SFO the better the experience.
thats all there is to it.
but some people dont understand that.

hope these answered your questions.