SFO : Street Fighter Online

Go Back   SFO : Street Fighter Online > NON-SFO Related > Banners, Avatars and Images

SFO : Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Editing posts TitaniumFist SFO News & Updates 0 03-30-2010 08:23 PM
Video Editing Help feross General 5 02-13-2009 10:56 PM
Paint.NET, the new age of color editing. ~0000~ Members Help Center 2 08-15-2007 12:58 PM
Question with Editing Color Pics Shadow~Jolteon Members Help Center 11 07-10-2007 10:40 PM

Old 05-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
xfaderx

Tournaments Joined: 1
Tournaments Won: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1660
xfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of light
Visit xfaderx's YouTube
Lightbulb Simple SFO Color Editing With Photoshop

Ok, this is my first attempt at a tutorial of any kind so go easy on me. This is for anyone who wants to change the colours of sprites to make their own cool characters (and hopefully get them implemented into SFO!)

This is the easy way. Besides going through and altering pixel by pixel, I've found that this is the best and simplest way to do this.

1. Go to google images and search for a sprite sheet that you can use. For this example I have used a Sakura sheet. It doesn't matter that the colors are different from a standard Sakura cos we're going to change them anyway. Open photoshop and open up your sprite sheet.

2. using Ctrl and the "+" sign, enlarge the entire image so you focus on one particular pose. It works best at about 300-400% magnification.

3. Move your pointer up to Image --> Adjustments --> Replace Color as shown in the pic below and click on this to bring up the Replace Colors box.

4. Click anywhere on your original picture of Sakura on a color that you want to change. When you move your cursor over your pic, it will automatically turn into the color choose (eyedropper) icon. Select a color from your pic, I have chose the bright red that is the main color of Sakura's shoes. This will then bring that color into the "replace color" box in the top right and bottom right squares as illustrated in the picture below.

5. Then by using the three sliders in the 'replacement' section you can change the color to whatever you like. I have reduced the saturation a little so its not so bright, and changed it to a purple color using the Hue slider. You may notice that as you move the sliders, the colors on the entire sprite sheet will change and not just the character you are working on. You may also notice that the color in her shoes is the same color as her gloves so that will also change.
When you have settled on a color make sure you press the 'OK' button so it locks it in. You must do this between each color that you are changing.

6. Repeat steps 3 to 6 as many times as necessary to get the colours you want for your design.
To keep a good flow with the colours, start with the darker ones and work your way up to the lighter ones. For example Sakura has darker red colours on the edges of her shoes and outlines so change those first and then work up to the lighter ones in the middle of the body part you are working on.

7. Marvel at your finished product - do a SaveAs and rename it whatever you like, or to save space in the forums, maybe crop it to just one frame of the character and save it and post it up so we can all see something new and wonderful!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
Killer
SFO Admin

Tournaments Joined: 10
Tournaments Won: 1
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 836
Killer is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARYKiller is LEGENDARY
Default Re: Simple SFO Color Editing With Photoshop

wow, i didn't know Photoshop was THAT easy.

I've been using GIMP which provides a color map so i can replace with judgement.

This is awesome though.

She's Coming...
And yeah.. I edited an entire GIF

Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
MeteorRyu5
Old Skool Gamer

Tournaments Joined: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 2
MeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished roadMeteorRyu5 is on a distinguished road

Nice tutorial. Maybe you can leave an example of a finished product?

MeteorRyu5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
flamesz
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 0
flamesz has a spectacular aura aboutflamesz has a spectacular aura aboutflamesz has a spectacular aura aboutflamesz has a spectacular aura aboutflamesz has a spectacular aura aboutflamesz has a spectacular aura aboutflamesz has a spectacular aura aboutflamesz has a spectacular aura aboutflamesz has a spectacular aura aboutflamesz has a spectacular aura aboutflamesz has a spectacular aura about

umm would you mind pming me a photoshop program i would like to get started on this as soon as i can thank you and nice tut
you know what they say target easy button here you know it not easy being so easy hmm ...

this was made my west thanks man i am mr.juggy
<ITheIGreenIGuysI>
^ In respect to ug.
Achievement
EliteVIP
C.O.W first place winner
V.I.P 1st place winner
NWOTA4 2nd place winner
2xtimes bunny event winner
L.B.N.F 3rd place winner
FreedomFighter winner
XB champion

[ Signature Too Long\Big. Decrease Size . Do not remove this reminder till you do - YoureGonnaLuvMe ]
flamesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
xfaderx

Post Thanks / Like
xfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of lightxfaderx is a glorious beacon of light
Visit xfaderx's YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPKiller View Post
wow, i didn't know Photoshop was THAT easy.

I've been using GIMP which provides a color map so i can replace with judgement.

This is awesome though.
If you double click on the "Result" color box it brings up a color map and a box for inputting Hex Color Codes if you know exactly what color you want to change things to
Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
(Hado)-(King)
[The Watcher]

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 1
(Hado)-(King) has a spectacular aura about(Hado)-(King) has a spectacular aura about(Hado)-(King) has a spectacular aura about(Hado)-(King) has a spectacular aura about(Hado)-(King) has a spectacular aura about(Hado)-(King) has a spectacular aura about(Hado)-(King) has a spectacular aura about(Hado)-(King) has a spectacular aura about(Hado)-(King) has a spectacular aura about(Hado)-(King) has a spectacular aura about(Hado)-(King) has a spectacular aura about

Great tut fader!

TheKingOfHado@live.com

☼ Ŧhe ĨŁĔŇĈĒ is mōre impōrτanτ τhan τhe MŮĈ ♫♫
(Hado)-(King) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

that or you could go to Image, then mode and then click on indexed colors and see the whole table of colors of it, then change the colors right from there. the old fasionned way.

but i like the way you did it.
has more adjustment in that way.
SSJKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 AM   #8
TitaniumFist

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 776
TitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of lightTitaniumFist is a glorious beacon of light

Great tutorial, Fader. Thanks for taking te time. (For the record, I stopped doing edits because I did them pixel by pixel...)
TitaniumFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
((HF)Kindaru
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 970
((HF)Kindaru has a spectacular aura about((HF)Kindaru has a spectacular aura about((HF)Kindaru has a spectacular aura about((HF)Kindaru has a spectacular aura about((HF)Kindaru has a spectacular aura about((HF)Kindaru has a spectacular aura about((HF)Kindaru has a spectacular aura about((HF)Kindaru has a spectacular aura about((HF)Kindaru has a spectacular aura about((HF)Kindaru has a spectacular aura about((HF)Kindaru has a spectacular aura about
Visit ((HF)Kindaru's Twitter Visit ((HF)Kindaru's YouTube

Out of curiosity, which photoshop are you using, cause i have PS 5.5 premium free trial =/. Is your vers. old or just a diff. one no offense in any possible way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying-FrEEman View Post
Man! I laugh so hard when i read this i probably popped a hernia, now i might lose
"The beginning is the end, and the end is the beginning. Well then, let us begin again. To each, tell their own tale."- Mahiro Fuwa
<-- Definition of new everything
((HF)Kindaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
xfaderx

Post Thanks / Like
Visit xfaderx's YouTube

The tutorial was made with CS3. I have full versions of CS4 and CS5 but I prefer to use CS3.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
SSJKarma
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
SSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really niceSSJKarma is just really nice

Kindaru, 5.5 ?
hope for your sake that you meant the CS suite 5. not the before those versions.
because the CS version brought a hell of a lot more features then the old PS softwares.

i use CS5, though i dislike the interface... it has a lot more features then CS3. and CS5 brought us green screen type of background removal... like removing an object fromt he screen is like only 2 clicks worth with it.
SSJKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
(AK)
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
(AK) is an unknown quantity at this point(AK) is an unknown quantity at this point(AK) is an unknown quantity at this point(AK) is an unknown quantity at this point(AK) is an unknown quantity at this point(AK) is an unknown quantity at this point
Visit (AK)'s Facebook Visit (AK)'s YouTube

i will try this soon
(AK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
_Zom_B_X
Sponsored VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Chats: 21
_Zom_B_X is on a distinguished road_Zom_B_X is on a distinguished road_Zom_B_X is on a distinguished road_Zom_B_X is on a distinguished road_Zom_B_X is on a distinguished road_Zom_B_X is on a distinguished road_Zom_B_X is on a distinguished road_Zom_B_X is on a distinguished road_Zom_B_X is on a distinguished road_Zom_B_X is on a distinguished road_Zom_B_X is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by -XP- View Post
i will try this soon
me too, Thgout it was Hard.

Thanks, donkios.
_Zom_B_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
(~_PortaLioN_~)
VIP

Post Thanks / Like
(~_PortaLioN_~) is an unknown quantity at this point(~_PortaLioN_~) is an unknown quantity at this point(~_PortaLioN_~) is an unknown quantity at this point(~_PortaLioN_~) is an unknown quantity at this point(~_PortaLioN_~) is an unknown quantity at this point(~_PortaLioN_~) is an unknown quantity at this point(~_PortaLioN_~) is an unknown quantity at this point
Visit (~_PortaLioN_~)'s YouTube

This photoshop tutorial is quite weird not the way i would do it myself if you don't mind guys im going to post my own gimp and photoshop tutorial
Old 11-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
(~SoulMaster~)
[Banned by blockattack - Contact to plea]

Post Thanks / Like
(~SoulMaster~) is an unknown quantity at this point

..sorry this is not on topic but can u plz! help me with flash i feel so stupid using it
(~SoulMaster~) is offline   Reply With Quote